PDA

View Full Version : Flying planes with video goggle, my passion

Vrflyer
09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
I'm french so sorry for my error in english
I began 11 years ago. I install a B&W camera and video sender on a toy r/c car. It was so cool to watch the picture on tv and ride the car inside the house. It take 5 years to see appear on the market color camera and good transmitter at reasonable price.
6 years ago, I begin with planes. I went to r/c club for the first time with my planes and video goggle and asked to learn to fly planes... People look at me and asking where I came from...
They learn me to fly planes normally at first. I passed two months on computer simulator so at the feild it was a lot easier, and after two weeks, I get my wings so was allow to fly alone.
I come back a day knowing I was to be alone. I put the goggle on my head and take-off... Rapidly, I was disorientated, cherching the landing runway. After three circuits, I land. My knees shaking, I was tired...
I come back without headset and record a normal circuit on VCR. After watching it several times, I came back and take-off again. The second flight under video goggle was a lot easier. I never flyed again without goggle since this day.
At the end of the first season, I was confortable to take-off from differents feilds, and do basic aerobatics.. You can view a video fom my first season here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuB3xoaJ3Ts
or here in better quality: http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=7239242995971908820&q=My+first+planes

The second and third saison I fly with Pizzaz beginning learning aerobatic flight and fly a little bit with a Cub.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD0wJ_rZ6NY
another beautifull one:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFFv52u8Zjs
or
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=7980881833761315918&q=Best+of+pizzaz
second video: http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=1588079981530763717

The fourth season & last year, I was practicing aerobatic with a Funtana, a much better planes than Pizzaz. Two cameras onboard, one looking front, one looking down. I toggled a switch on my r/c transmitter to choose the view
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_Jq3xojeOM&mode=user&search=
or better here
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-6884817858714442651

This season, I began to fly with an Easystar because it's a safe planes, allowing me to fly close to houses and peoples. I finally get a workable gyroscope for my headset, allowing me to control the movement of the cam only by moving my head. The cam is in the cockpit, where it shoul be. Now I really feel like being onboard a planes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INS2AhdNfYY&mode=user&search=
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlNF6e2wxss&mode=user&search=
or better quality here
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-2237947353453839215
and
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1533041169518651385

I was not allowed to fly inside club since 3 years, because a stupd rule someone discovered. But recently, the president of MAAC, the Canadian r/c planes association, equivalent to AMA, heard about me and will do everything to allow me to come back in r/c club. I will meet him in few weeks.
I also have three other very beautifull planes that want to take-off, but need a safe take-off runway. They are close to completon and you will see them flying next season, I hope.

aviatordave
09-03-2006, 10:51 PM
I've seen your videos as I have visited other sites, and truly enjoyed them. Your a pioneer in this new venture of first person views. That has got to be one of the funnest and coolest things to experience while in this hobby. Thanks for sharing and keep us posted of more videos as you make them.

Dave

(your english is alot better than my french!)

Warden
09-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Wow, really cool! You may very well be the vanguard of what's to come. Very nice work!

predatorb
09-07-2006, 09:11 PM
vrflyer I like your videos!! :) nice aubiance music selection too.
are you using a regular vr headset with a wireless cam plugged into it? what kind of cam are you using?

I'd love to see some footage of flight over Tokyo! :)

Vrflyer
09-07-2006, 11:22 PM
I'd love to see some footage of flight over Tokyo! :)
While working on my project and try to make it work, I was thinking that Japanese people should already play with that...

Standard headset, but it have 640x480 resoluton
this one is good
http://www.tekgear.com/index.cfm?pageID=90&section=85&grpid=46&nodelist=1,83,85&prodid=491&fld1=VGA

loker
09-08-2006, 12:42 PM
that's pretty cool stuff, very fancy. how much does it cost? I'm thinking it's out of my price range.

jb48
09-08-2006, 01:03 PM
I cannot believe it: the video I saw (the one over Ste-Julie with the Easy Star) lets me believe that the system you developed is the nearest thing to full size flying in a cockpit. I cannot wait to download your other videos on my dialed up slow Internet connection.

Vrflyer
09-08-2006, 04:26 PM
I cannot believe it: the video I saw (the one over Ste-Julie with the Easy Star) lets me believe that the system you developed is the nearest thing to full size flying in a cockpit. I cannot wait to download your other videos on my dialed up slow Internet connection.
The canadian assocation of model airplanes don't know how to regulate me. They compare my new way of flying to the first flight of Wright brothers...

adhoc
09-08-2006, 05:34 PM
This is really fantastic! I've thought about stuff like this in passing, but you've actually gone and done it. Bravo!!

I think it is silly that your association "doesn't know how to regulate you." You are flying RC model aircraft, just like the rest of us. You have added a new tool, but the fundamentals are exactly the same. Bureaucratic organizations are too conservative. If it wasn't for individuals like you, progress would slow to a crawl. Keep doing what you're doing! :D

Vrflyer
09-08-2006, 08:56 PM
This is really fantastic! I've thought about stuff like this in passing, but you've actually gone and done it. Bravo!!

I think it is silly that your association "doesn't know how to regulate you." You are flying RC model aircraft, just like the rest of us. You have added a new tool, but the fundamentals are exactly the same. Bureaucratic organizations are too conservative. If it wasn't for individuals like you, progress would slow to a crawl. Keep doing what you're doing! :D
finally, they agree with you, it a r/c plane with camera. It's not a drone beacause it can't fly by iself.

ForestCam
09-08-2006, 10:58 PM
You are flying RC model aircraft, just like the rest of us. :D
Actually no, unless you can fly below/between trees and out of your line of sight, I sure can't! :eek: That was one of the first things I thought about while watching the video, well that and not having to think reversed when the plane is coming at you, right it always right and left is left when you're IN the plane! :D

I'd love to try it if only the equipment wasn't so darn expensive.

Phoenex
09-08-2006, 11:18 PM
Vrflyer,

Can you post some pictures of the equipment used and provide links to where they can be purchased?

up_ya_go
09-09-2006, 12:08 AM
Hi Denis ....
Just wanted to say this thread of yours is fantastic!
Amazing amount of infomation , very interesting indeed.
Love the videos... keep up the good work ... thanks for the pleasure of watching them.
Cheers,
Ray.

adhoc
09-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Actually no, unless you can fly below/between trees and out of your line of sight, I sure can't! :eek:Heh heh, no, I definitely can't do that... And have crashed twice trying it... :eek:

But I have to say, I wonder if there is a trade-off here (like with most things in this world)... VR "in cockpit" view gives you much better view from the aircraft, without the orientation problem. BUT, you lose the wider awareness of what's around you (i.e. what's coming at you from another direction). I wonder if having a spotter wouldn't be a good idea, depending on where you fly...

Question for Vrflyer: do you get audio/sound? If nothing else, it would be good to hear clearly when the motor cuts off, or even starts to run a bit slower... When I fly, sometimes local traffic (cars) drowns out the sound of my plane, and a few times I haven't heard the low voltage cutoff; instead, I just eventually noticed that the plane had lost power by how it flew...

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 02:46 AM
Vrflyer,

Can you post some pictures of the equipment used and provide links to where they can be purchased?
Check my video Bromont
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INS2AhdNfYY

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 02:49 AM
Hi Denis ....
Just wanted to say this thread of yours is fantastic!
Amazing amount of infomation , very interesting indeed.
Love the videos... keep up the good work ... thanks for the pleasure of watching them.
Cheers,
Ray.
Thanks very much. Your are lucky to see the first steps of this new way of flying. I only talk on few forums.

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 02:56 AM
But I have to say, I wonder if there is a trade-off here (like with most things in this world)... VR "in cockpit" view gives you much better view from the aircraft, without the orientation problem. BUT, you lose the wider awareness of what's around you (i.e. what's coming at you from another direction). I wonder if having a spotter wouldn't be a good idea, depending on where you fly...

Question for Vrflyer: do you get audio/sound? If nothing else, it would be good to hear clearly when the motor cuts off, or even starts to run a bit slower... When I fly, sometimes local traffic (cars) drowns out the sound of my plane, and a few times I haven't heard the low voltage cutoff; instead, I just eventually noticed that the plane had lost power by how it flew...

It's hard to see all around, but other peoples in the club sometime hit two planes in flight, they are too concentrate and see only their planes :) all peoples fly inside the same area. I can fly outside, and the planes will still be visible, or stay very low, or very high, between 300 and 700 feet, I will encounter few planes here :) So with the same amount of people flying (ex: max 5 at our club) The security is higher, because less planes fly close togheter.
I can land the planes far away if neccessary.
Yes I have sound, a little speaker inside the goggle, so I can heard also what happens around me on the ground.

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 02:59 AM
I have a Black Box telemetry system for sold ,brand new, for $70
http://www.act-labs.com/black-box/
Where can I put my announcement? ( if not here the best place...)

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh I forget to say something important...
Check with your local club if you intend to fly there, in USA I'm not sure you will can. USA look to be the only one who do not allow planes with camera in there clubs...

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 05:13 PM
I made another video "Lower & closer"
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-6841229546604159614&hl=fr
if you have a low speed access: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVJrwdSJ9I

TeslaWinger
09-09-2006, 07:25 PM
VRFLYER!!!

I have been flying with a video headset and downlink for a few years now. Hardly no one else seems to be interested here in the US- but I love being able to pilot the plane as if I were strapped into it! I am surprised that it isn't much more popular since it is an amazing experience but it is a bit expensive using good video equipment.

You must be using a CCD camera since the picture is still good despite the MPEG compression. A CMOS video looks terrible when compressed- but this looks nice! I had fun with my CMOS video ZAGI several years ago but my high res 1/3rd inch CCD color camera is cheaper than that smeary CMOS and performs better than most camcorders- and a LOT better than any CMOS camera!

I am surprised you get such good reception- even near the ground just above all those very expensive cars! My philosophy of flight is simple- "Don't hit anything expensive!"

I always had very bad video breakups of 5 seconds or more when flying low using the small antenna- long enough to crash- so I now use an amplified directional antenna that makes perfect video but it must be head mounted by the pilot or observer so it is always pointed at the plane.

Since its not possible to wear the video goggle (also called a Head Mounted Display, or HMD) and also point the antenna at the plane, I put the antenna/receiver helmet on my head to aim the antenna at the plane.

The "passenger" on the buddy box gets to experience the VR Pilot Viewpoint. A second video output goes to the camcorder to videotape the entire flight.

After a flight we switch and I get to fly in VR mode while he points the antenna. I have used a FMA Co-Pilot to help keep the plane level if I lose the signal and get 'blinded.' All I need to do is let go of the stick and it will fly straight and level.

The AMA here will insure turbine jets that fly at nearly 200mph and could punch a hole in a tank- but won't take the risk for a videolink on a slow light plane unless a pilot- or co-pilot on the buddybox always has an eye on the plane.

My 2-man solution (one man points, the other monitors) using a second pilot on a buddy box will probably satisfy their demand that a pilot always has an eye on the plane.

When I fly alone I can set the antenna helmet on the ground and just fly in one general area so pointing is no problem with this wide angle antenna. I climb to altitude before going 'VR.'

Since I no longer fly with a club it doesnt matter to me- but I want it to be done as safely as possible also!

I have pictures and details in the FOR SALE section.

VIVE LE VR!

Au revoir, mon ami!
TW

adhoc
09-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I made another video "Lower & closer"
http://video.google.fr/videoplay?docid=-6841229546604159614&hl=fr
if you have a low speed access: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgVJrwdSJ9IWow, another great video! You're the man!! :)

Frodo
09-09-2006, 08:40 PM
Denis, yor English is fine and I love your videos! Enya was a good choice as a soundtrack as well.

-Curtis-

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 10:56 PM
I have pictures and details in the FOR SALE section.

VIVE LE VR!

Au revoir, mon ami!
TW
Great, can you show me a link to your equipeent, i'm curious to see that. With the good equipement, it's possible to fly alone safely, I do it since 6 years. Your tx look to don't have enough power.

Vrflyer
09-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Denis, yor English is fine and I love your videos! Enya was a good choice as a soundtrack as well.

-Curtis-

Happy to read this

TeslaWinger
09-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Great, can you show me a link to your equipment, i'm curious to see that. With the good equipement, it's possible to fly alone safely, I do it since 6 years. Your tx look to don't have enough power.

VR, I followed your link to your TX- and I agree with you, about the power output and signal strength. A full watt of power in the USA, if I am not mistaken, requires an Amateur Radio license. That explains how you can use a non-directional antenna and get good reception so close to the ground- that sure would simplify things!

To compensate for the low TX power output I use an amplified antenna which does complicate matters since it must be pointed! My TX output is 100MW- which is 1/10th of yours.

The advantage is that with only 200ma of current draw at 11V (3 cell lipo) and a total system weight of only 4 oz, including the battery, it is small and light enough to use in very small planes and will run all day on a 1200 ma pack.

Of course a major limitation is the shape of these board cameras- they are anything but streamlined! I make fairings from plastic soft drink bottles to keep the drag down, which are cheap, easily made and lightweight.

A CMOS camera is small and light enough to tape to a wingtip or the tail of a large glider, mounted on 2 mini servos for pan and tilt- but I enjoy high quality video and so must use a CCD camera.

Here's a link to the video equipment I use.
www.polarisusa.com

Look under WIRELESS and BOARD CAMERAS. I found a small 12V microphone that supplies the audio to complete the VR effect- and it is stunning with the stereo headphones and 1.4 million pixel eyescreens!

An audio variometer would be a great addition to this system since soaring is my main interest. All the data aquisition systems are expensive and would double the cost of the video system.

Audio is great for maintaining a constant airspeed through the soaring turns. Like soaring in a hang glider, hearing the sound of the wind is a very useful guide to airspeed once the motor is shut off.

VR - is a great way to enjoy RC flying. I flew hang gliders and ultralights for many years and this point of view flying is a lot of fun!

An Amateur Radio license is not difficult to obtain, since they have finally removed the Morse Code requirements.

Best of lift and life to you!
Here are some pictures and a text file on the system

TW

Vrflyer
09-10-2006, 01:59 AM
I use 500mW not 1000mW. In USA, you require a license over 10 mW if I remember well...
Glad to meet you

Chuck Auger
09-13-2006, 03:05 AM
This is the future of R/C. :D

Vrflyer
09-28-2006, 06:21 PM
Vrflyer,

Check in the video Bromont at the generic at the end

aviatordave
09-28-2006, 06:32 PM
VR,

What is your belief about the guy in RCG that says he can make this for $150-$200? Do you think he is truthful?

Dave

WingTips24
09-28-2006, 08:35 PM
He Vr and Telsa

Nice to see a thread started on this. I love the videos VR and I have spent many a flying moments thinking how cool it will be to have a set up like this. Had to post something now I am going to go back and read the whole thread! LOL

Tips

TeslaWinger
09-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Dave,

Considering that a good
*CCD boardcam is $100,
*the A/V TX - $150,
*the A/V RX - $150,
*The hi-res HMD is $700 to $1500 (add $1,000 for the gyro addition for a 'lookaround' viewing HMD driving a camera pan servo)
*12 volt powered line level microphone - $50
*Small 3 S lipo for onboard vid system - $30 to $50
*Directional amplified antenna - $150
*12V gellcell or L/A battery to power the downlink and the HMD's 14 watts- $20

I have serious doubts unless he's using a Taiwan CMOS cam and the cheapest AV link and views the downlink with a (borrowed) camcorder eyepiece monitor. Same thing? Not!

To say a low quality CMOS image is the same thing as an S-Video level CCD image is beyond hubris! Does he strap a (borrowed) TV set to his face for monitoring? Build his own camera and microwave gear from nuts and berries?? :D

I get asked all the time to take a poorly shot and lit video from a 6 hour mode VHS recording and burn it to DVD and (somehow) make it broadcast quality with cutaways and crane shots! I'll refer them to this RCU master of mystery!

phubner
09-28-2006, 10:24 PM
I've been experimenting for years with electronics, and have wanted to return to RC flying for 15 years... Thank you VRFlyer for the inspiration to do it!

I do have a few questions:

1. How does your gyroscope interfaces the RC Radio to control the pan/tilt system? I imagine it replaces or is in parallel with a joystick? but how?

2. Is a high quality video file available, better than the Googlevideo compression. I would appreciate seeing the original video quality if at all possible. I can setup a FTP site if you need - please email privately to junkmail3 <at>gmail.com.

3. Do you think 2-camera video (ie 3D or Stereo video) would improve the experience? I have a few ideas I am working on....

Thank you again !!
Paul

Vortran
12-03-2006, 03:46 AM
Can you please post a detailed how-to page and explain specifically how you connect the gyro wirelessly to the camera and WHERE to get all the equipment? Thanks! I want to fly VR too!

Please reply to mikesyd<at>cybermike<dot>net

Hobbywireless_guy
06-11-2007, 05:05 AM
Hello guys,
I would like to share my FPV video with everybody.
Last weekend I took my Extra 300 to fly full FPV ( take off and land with goggle on), boy let me tell you it was fun.
Here is the link to download. http://www.fileflyer.com/view/HAC1qA0 (http://www.fileflyer.com/view/HAC1qA0) FILE name is: EXTRA 300E Techno BEST.wmv

Take care http://www.rc-cam.com/forum/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Lister
08-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Breakup of the video signal has been mentioned a few times. If increasing power is not an option then a simple solution would be to simply have an antenna mounted higher up, perhaps 15 or 20 feet on a portable stand or attaced to the roof rack of your car.

The antenna would ideally be a high gain omni-directional one, perhaps about 12dB (not too difficult on 900MHz). This would have a flat disc shaped pattern which would make it much more sensitive at low angles (where you need it because of obstructions) at the expense of sensitivity at high angles, where you don't need it because of good line of sight.

Another good solution is to have diversity transmission/reception. The idea is to use two separate transmitters and two receivers operating on different frequencies (or preferably even different bands). If the frequencies are far apart then in most cases when one signal is blanked out the other would be ok, as most fading is frequency selective.

aviatordave
08-02-2007, 02:11 PM
I've seen the 8 dbi 'do -it- yourself' antenna at rc-cams site....is there a 12 dbi 'do -it- yourself' antenna ?

stinkweed007
08-02-2007, 02:18 PM
I personally have been dying to get this set

Link (http://www.rc-tech.ch/web/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=74&category_id=18&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26)

Crash9
08-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Yep, I think you need to get it too...:)

stinkweed007
08-03-2007, 08:27 AM
next year's tax return!!!!

Quay007
08-05-2007, 06:18 AM
I agree with all of you. This hobby is amazing. I am truly amazed with the technology.

I have been flying electric Helis for bout 1 year and recently have strapped my digital camera to the skids.

Heres me and my son at the loal school field.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inVfHbEoO_w

I have recently purchased a wireless camera and reciever but the range is only good to 150 feet then it gets scrambled. how can I boost the reciever signal. Or can you suggest a better camera and remote reciever?

Quay007
08-05-2007, 06:29 AM
This was my first video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqLYoicWbnI

I will look into boosting the signal to my video reciever to see if i can increase the distance I can fly and record.

These first videos are simply my digital camera strapped to the landing skid of my Helicopter.

PLease comment