PDA

View Full Version : My Richmodels Spitfire is ready for its maiden.

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 08:02 PM
I finished assembling my Spitfire this morning. I've got to say, this ARF went together really well and is a lot better looking plane than what I expected. Although not true to scale, I think its still a nice addition to the hanger. The instructions that come with it are very, very basic and leave a lot out but for anyone that's built a few planes, it's pretty easy to figure out. It only took a few evenings to assemble.

About the only change I made was to add a steerable tail wheel and a spinner. I was going to leave the gear off and make another belly flopper out of it but I was concerned the film covering would get holes poked in it. I changed the gear from the goofy looking yellow wheels that came with it to the 2" foam wheels that came with my E-Flite P-47.

Here's the set up:
BP-21 outrunner
TP 18 amp ESC
3S 2100 15C Common Sense Lipo
1 3/4" Dubro spinner
Spektrum DX6 system
8x4 Parkzone prop (to be changed as soon as I can order new props)
will try a GWS HD 8060 and an APC 7x6 SF (Thanks for the input guys) And whatever prop I end up with WILL BE painted black with yellow tips.
AUW - 23 oz.
Measurements on the wattmeter at WOT - 17 amps, 176 watts.

I'm off on vacation all week so hopefully I'll get to go try her out.

Don Sims
09-04-2006, 09:32 PM
Not a bad looking Spit at all Grasshopper! Good luck on the maiden! I've been working on a P-47 Jug this afternoon.

firemanbill
09-04-2006, 09:35 PM
Looks good Tom! Enjoy your time off. :D

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks guys. Which Jug are you working on Don?

alienx
09-04-2006, 09:40 PM
Nice looking bird!!! What's the span on that?

Enjoy the maiden Grasshopper.

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 09:46 PM
Nice looking bird!!! What's the span on that?

Enjoy the maiden Grasshopper.

Thanks Alien. The wingspan is 36 1/2". The weather is absolutely beautiful here right now. I hope to get out after dinner and see how it does.

Don Sims
09-04-2006, 09:50 PM
The Wattage one. Not nearly as scale as a lot of the foamie versions but it's a nice looking plane.

alienx
09-04-2006, 09:51 PM
Nice ...bigger than an alfa!

Good luck!

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 09:55 PM
The Wattage one. Not nearly as scale as a lot of the foamie versions but it's a nice looking plane.

I think that's a great looking jug. Now I'm hacked off though. I went to the wattage site and see they have the JU-87 Stuka marked down to $50. Dang you Don!!!!!!! I was just telling myself this morning NO MORE PLANES! I love the JU-87 and I don't have a German warbird yet. Have you ever seen one in person?

Don Sims
09-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Only photos of it, a nice looking plane!

Grasshopper
09-04-2006, 10:17 PM
OK Don, I need your home phone number so my wife can call you when the Stuka shows from UPS.

Don Sims
09-05-2006, 01:56 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Looking forward to both your maidens!! The Spit needs to chase something around the sky!

Grasshopper
09-05-2006, 02:23 AM
Well, SHE FLEW! SHE FLEW! The Spitfire flew great. I had a perfect evening with a very light steady breeze. It took off straight as a string and needed absolutely no trim adjustments. This thing flys great. I can't wait to try it with a real prop instead of the prop off my PZ J3 Cub. It seems to be rock solid in the air and flys very scale like. I read somewhere that this model floats in on landings... WRONG! It comes in hot. No floating goin on here but as long as you have the space, she comes in really smooth. I was taking off and landing on pavement so I'm not sure how it will do in grass. I got 3 flights out of it till it was getting a little too dark to see against the trees on approach so I counted myself lucky and packed it up.

Can't wait to fly it again.

firemanbill
09-05-2006, 02:35 AM
Glad to hear it Tom! :D

Grasshopper
09-05-2006, 02:37 AM
Glad to hear it Tom! :D

I felt kind of bad posting this after reading about your day.

firemanbill
09-05-2006, 02:38 AM
I felt kind of bad posting this after reading about your day.

LOL... no problem bud. Actually made me feel a bit better!:D

RMEATBALL
09-06-2006, 12:02 AM
I have just received the same kit and will start my build as soon as I finish with the Zero I bought at the same time..I like the mod with the tail wheel and the nicer main gear tires. Good luck with the maiden. :D

Randy :)

Don Sims
09-06-2006, 12:12 AM
Congrats on the successful maiden Tom!! :D Bill did have a rough day yesterday!! :eek:

BYW, WELCOME Randy!

firemanbill
09-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Congrats on the successful maiden Tom!! :D Bill did have a rough day yesterday!! :eek:

BYW, WELCOME Randy!

Thanks for noticing Don...:D Maybe I was on to big of a roll from our Vols win!:eek: things were going too good...

Grasshopper
09-06-2006, 01:30 AM
I have just received the same kit and will start my build as soon as I finish with the Zero I bought at the same time..I like the mod with the tail wheel and the nicer main gear tires. Good luck with the maiden. :D

Welcome Randy! I think you'll really like the Spitfire. I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it. How does the Zero look. The pictures looked kind of funny but it's always hard to tell by one picture. I thought the Spit looked kind of out of wack too, but it looks much better in person.

Tom

RMEATBALL
09-06-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys...:) ...Will let you know how the Zero works as soon as I can maiden it...Nice kit but the Spitfire is nicer...If these planes work out I will order another one and install retracts...Currently flying an Ultimate FX 3D and a Stryker in combat!!!! Lots of fun..But balsa flys better!!

Randy :D

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys...:) ...Will let you know how the Zero works as soon as I can maiden it...Nice kit but the Spitfire is nicer...If these planes work out I will order another one and install retracts...Currently flying an Ultimate FX 3D and a Stryker in combat!!!! Lots of fun..But balsa flys better!!

Randy :D

Hey Randy, How ya coming on the Zero and Spit? Any progress?

Tom

RMEATBALL
09-19-2006, 04:11 AM
The Zero went in on it's maiden flight...I bought a coouple of cheap park flyer radios and I think I ran out of range on the 1st flight. Doesn't pay to try and cheap screw things in this hobby..Still have the Spit and will put an electron 6 in it with a eflight 400 outrunner and ESC. Should work OK. I think I will buy another zero as it was a nice kit for $52.00

Grasshopper
09-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Sorry about the Zero Randy. Did it crash or did you lose it altogether?

RMEATBALL
09-20-2006, 02:46 AM
The Zero went in nose first...The wing can be salvaged but I need a new fuselage...We know every model we own has an expiration date we just don't know when. Wish I could have flown it more. Will now start on my Spitfire and hope I have better luck!!!

RMEATBALL
11-19-2006, 03:20 AM
I just finished the Spitfire and it came out real nice..I really am happy with the kit. We have a pilot in our club that flew with the eagle squadron and has 3 kills in the Spitfire. I found out how his Spit was marked and have put the call MDE on the side. Also put an Electron 6 receiver in this one but will wait until my Spitfire pilot sees the plane before I fly its maiden. Wish me luck!!!

Randy

Grasshopper
11-19-2006, 03:39 AM
Good luck Randy! I think you'll really like that plane. I got to run a few packs through mine this weekend. I really enjoy flying it. Just a tip for what it's worth.

When you bring it in for a landing, bring it in with some power. Mine does not want to float but lands beautifully if you bring it in with some power on. I don't kill the motor till the wheels touch down. It looks very realistic.

Other than that, it flys great. It is rock solid in the air and is a joy to fly. I did put bigger wheels on mine so it looks a little more scale. It also helped it take off and land in grass.

Happy Maiden!

Tom

RMEATBALL
11-19-2006, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the tip on landing the Spitfire. I can run either a 1500 or 2100 3 cell lipo in the bird and still keep the CG in the right place. The 2100 Lipo makes the plane weigh 22 Oz. and the 1500 Lipo makes the plane weigh 20 Oz. I think I will fly with the lighter battery for the maiden and then MAYBE go with the heavier battery for latter flights. I will definately keep the speed up during landings. ;)

Randy:)