PDA

View Full Version : Which Warbird

dabsond
09-04-2005, 09:45 PM
I have gotten pretty good flying my 3 channel park flyer. I am looking at buying my first ARF kit. I really want to get into warbirds. My favorite warbird is the Corsair. There are a number of kits available. Which is the best version of the Corsair to build and fly. If not a Corsair, which scale warbird kit is the best for a beginner in kit building. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dan Dabson

WWI Ace
09-04-2005, 10:08 PM
If it were me, (which this is the way I started flying warbirds), I would build a GWS E-Starter so I could learn to fly with ailerons and then move on to a GWS Corsair. You will need the aileron skills before trying to fly warbirds. The Gws planes are inexpensive and easily fixed when broken. Remember that the low wing planes have no self righting capabilities so if you get in trouble things can go bad quickly!! Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you. In fact I'm trying to do the exact opposite!! If you advance slowly you are more likely to be successful. I've seen so many guys think that they could just fly whatever they wanted after flying their first plane and they couldn't. Then they got discouraged and quit the hobby all together. Take the learning steps needed and have fun!! If you can afford it, buy both planes and while you are flying your E-Starter you can build your Corsair. Happy Flying!!!!

dabsond
09-05-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the advice. I want to get away from models with proprietary radio sysems. Your comments make sense. I guess everybody wants to jump into this hobby head first. I will take a look at the model you mentioned. Again, thanks for the reply.

Dan Dabson

Geoff_Gino
09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Hi Dasbond

WWI Ace has given very good advice, because if you don't have an instructor and are not flying 2 crashes high - oh boy it can be expensive.

Happy flying
Geoff

CorsairJock
09-05-2005, 10:31 PM
I want to get away from models with proprietary radio sysems.
Dan Dabson

I guess I'm dumb: what do you mean by "proprietary radio sysems"?

I must agree with other: if all you have flown is park flyers, best to stick with them for now. There are a couple of Corsair park flyers available now, and those designed for 3 channel are easily converted to 4 channel (which I highly recommend, as you will nedd to get used to using rudder AND ailerons). If a P-40 was your favorite, I would say go with it. If Corsair is your favorote, then go with it. They (warbird parkflyers) all fly pretty much the same. When you move up the the bigger ones tho, some people consider Corsairs to have better flying traits than a P-40. P-47s are supposedly best, with Corsairs being nearly as good.

rcers
09-05-2005, 10:46 PM
Both the Alfa and GWS Corsair fly very very well. I have flown them both, and can't say which is better, but you can't go wrong with either one.

You will need some aileron practice before taking them on however. Just a bit will do, the e-starter and many others work well.

There is another good option and cheap, if Great Planes ever get it in (been waiting almost a year for this one!!!!)..
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHPC0&P=ML

I will be doing a review on that Corsair and the Hellcat, as soon as great planes gets them to me....

Mike

dabsond
09-06-2005, 05:48 AM
I have a Firebird Commander and an Art-Tech Winged Dragon. I would like to buy a quality radio to use with all future models. I am looking at Futuba or Hitech right now.

CorsairJock
09-06-2005, 02:17 PM
I hate to jump into these 'which should I get' or 'which is best' posts, becuase it's just like argueing Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar: you will get strong and heated arguments favoring each, and in the long run, you need to decide for yourself. But, since you mention Futaba, I really, REALLY like their new 7CAP systems. For roughly $250 you get a 7 channel computer transmitter (& rx, servos, etc)with 10 plane memory, and enough programming options for all but the most complicated aircraft. I have a 9CAP also, but prefer the 7CAP in most of my aircraft, and exclusively in my electric powered ones. The 7CAP is what I use with my Hanger 9 Corsair, Flying Styro Corsair, GWS Stearman, as well as a few others.