PDA

View Full Version : Kadet LT 25 conversion

ragbag
09-05-2005, 01:14 AM
Here is the start of the Kadet LT 25 that three of us are starting.

Moved the firewall 1" forward instead of doing the stand offs as others have done. Thought I could use the room for the battery packs. Planning on two
3S2P2200 Polyquest for starters. One of us has dropped the dihedral to
1 1/2", stock is 3" under one wing tip.

AXI 2826 10
MAS 11X7 ( after completeing the build I found that I have plenty of ground clearance and will be using a 13x8.5 MAS)
Will update as we go along.
By George

1255 1256 1257

1258 1259

Darrell_F
09-08-2005, 02:56 AM
I'm planning on building one and will use the 2826 also. I'm very interested in your build. Please show as much detail as possible for your mods to the kit.

Darrell_F

Roy Morford
09-11-2005, 05:53 PM
My Kadet LT25 has the Axi 2826/10, a Thunderpower 3s2p 4200 battery and an APC electric prop (I think it's 13/8 but with the spinner on I can't see). It flies great on half throttle and is a real floater coming in to land with no throttle. You going to have fun with your plane when it's finished.
Roy.

ragbag
09-11-2005, 10:30 PM
So far I have put two servos in the wings. Flaperons, figuring she would float, so try to get her down with a little help. Dowl in the leading edge, two 1/4-20 nylon bolts trailng edge.
The whole top of the fuselage, where the fuel tank would be, from the windshield to the original firewall lifts off for battery access.

Replaced the fuel tank floor with a ply platform, screwed to triangle stock, can be moved forward or back for trimming as needed, esc is under the platform for air flow cooling, reciever on servo tray where throttle servo would go, servo tray not mounted till see what the trim needs.

From the original firewall forward to the back of the prop will be covered, the original firewall is opened up for air to pass through.

Will get some pictures tonight and upload later.

Pictures at 11, as they used to say on WKRP, Cincinatti.

Oops, giving away my age.
BY George

ragbag
09-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Axi 2826-10, MAS 11x7, 2 Polyquest 3s1p2200, will be run as 2p.

Watt meter 35a, 375 watts, 4# 2oz thrust, 7800 rpm.
APC 11x3.8 27a, 270 watts, 3# 12oz, 8000 rpm.

1473Bill, This is the new firewall with the lightening holes we talked about.GAP

Can't think of anything else at the moment. A picture is worth a thousand words. Guess I talk to much.
By George

ragbag
09-12-2005, 01:23 AM
My Kadet LT25 has the Axi 2826/10, a Thunderpower 3s2p 4200 battery and an APC electric prop (I think it's 13/8 but with the spinner on I can't see). It flies great on half throttle and is a real floater coming in to land with no throttle. You going to have fun with your plane when it's finished.
Roy.

Roy,
David with Hobby Lobby recomended the 13x8 and when I couldn't answer him about ground clearance we went with the 11x7, knowing that we could go up if the clearance is good.

He did ask me to followup with him so he would be able to answer the next guy to try the conversion.

By George

Roy Morford
09-13-2005, 01:32 AM
I have just over 2 inches ground clearance when the tail is on the deck. If I lift the tail so the fuselage is horizontal that drops the clearance to 1 inch. That would only be a concern if you were doing scale takeoffs in long grass. Mine fairly leaps into the air and I don't even give ground clearance a second thought. On my next plane, which will be flown scale like, I've given it a lot of thought.
Cheers,
Roy.

ragbag
09-13-2005, 12:38 PM
I have just over 2 inches ground clearance when the tail is on the deck. If I lift the tail so the fuselage is horizontal that drops the clearance to 1 inch. That would only be a concern if you were doing scale takeoffs in long grass. Mine fairly leaps into the air and I don't even give ground clearance a second thought. On my next plane, which will be flown scale like, I've given it a lot of thought.
Cheers,
Roy.

Roy,
Thanks for the info. I like 3-3 1/2 wheels, sometimes the grass gets a little long here, if the rain is regular. Do you rmember what size wheel you are carrying?
Trying to get Russ and Bill to jump in with their version of the conversion.
Hey!!! that sounds like the title to a reality show for TV!!:D
By George

By George

Roy Morford
09-13-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes, I have 3 1/2 inch wheels.

ragbag
09-15-2005, 01:14 AM
A friend asked for the info on the motor mount I used. This is the long winded version with pictures.

This is the way I went with the LT 25. Used the 3/4 pipe coupler and realy didn't care for the looks of it. It is mounted on the original firewall.

Made a duplicate firewall and laid it on the drawing, jigged, clamped and proped up with the motor mounted on it.
Put the thrust washer of the Axi over the prop washer on the plans, pencil point, measured 7/8". After some tought I made it 1".

Keeping the motor shaft on the thrust line drawn on the plans. As luck would have it the bottom of the new firewall was flush with the bottom of the fuselage. Cut the excess off this AM, that stuck up above the top of the fuselage side. Hope the firewall has enough holes to let the air through. The top will be closed, trying to push the prop wash through the fuselage.

You probably don't need all of this supervision. The delete buttom is at the top.
By George

1586 1587 1588

1589 1590 1591

ENUT
09-22-2005, 05:10 AM
Hi ragbag,Looks good so far.I've been flying this plane for the last 2 1/2 months so far.Only complaint is the plywood plate for the landing gear.This area needs some attention:( As for power I'm still in the dark age's:eek: Mega7s cobalt brush motor/ 14x3000 Round cells& 13x6.5 apc-e prop.Getting 10 to 13min flights.My plane R.T.F 5lbs 9 oz.I also lowered the dihedral to 1" at the wing tip.Like I tell people,I don't need the plane to fly by its self. ENUT

ragbag
09-23-2005, 04:25 PM
There are three of us doing the conversion. One has reduced the dihedral. None of us have changed the rudder or elevator.

The landing gear didn't look good from the gitgo. Reinforced the ply plate and replaced the metal screws with 1/4-20 nylon. I want a sunday flyer, would have went with something else, instead of changing the wing.

The fellow that got us started enlarged the rudder, elevator and flattened the wing, 3D's with it.

By George

rcers
09-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Great project! I like the looks of it so far!

Are you going to enclose the motor? That would look kinda cool.

keep us updated. I have always wanted to do one of these....I love Sig kits.

Mike

MIke

ragbag
09-23-2005, 08:47 PM
I am closing in the cowl somewhat. I am haveing trouble with hot motor in a Kadet EP 42 right now. It is the cowl.:mad:

This is going to be the extent of my "closing in the motor". I don't need that AXI smoking like the speed 400 in the EP 42. :D The jury is still out on how much more shaping I will do.
By George

1843 1844

rcers
09-24-2005, 03:47 PM
Looks good with the top covered. Round the edges a bit and it will look great! Leaving the bottom open will assure excellent cooling....

I need this project like another hole in the head, but you are tempting me!

Mike

ragbag
10-03-2005, 10:53 AM
Started on the covering. Only one picture this time. Cover the last leading edge and put the heat to it.

By George

ragbag
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
One part I forgot was how I rebuilt the motor compartment.

I cut and fit scrap balsa to get the top of the compartment higher so it could be closed, not thinking that I could have used the part that was it laser cut from. I did leave the parts inside the fuselage reinforcement, just didn't think it all the way through. As they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

The wing is covered now. Just don't have a piture yet.

By George

2152 2153 2154

ragbag
10-03-2005, 12:39 PM
oops

ragbag
10-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Came in at 4 pounds 8 oz with 3s2p4400 in the belly, ready to fly.
Need to finish it up with some trim and decals or something.
By George

2619 2620 2621
2622 2623

ragbag
10-21-2005, 11:55 PM
Found some old decals laying around. Since the castor oil will never touch this one I guess I could use them.:D

Will dig out some pinstripe tape when I come back from vacation.

By George

2930 2931

2932 2933

Canada Goose
11-02-2005, 02:11 PM
Here is my LT25...AXI 2826/10 with TP 3S2P 4200 battery...I have a Nikon 3700 strapped to the belly for AP work.

ragbag
11-02-2005, 09:54 PM
Just got back from a little vacation. Might get a chance to test fly it soon. Will give a report on the success/failure then.:D

By George

ENUT
11-03-2005, 04:07 AM
George the test flight should be a No Brainer:D .Seriously, my plane @5lbs 9oz lifts off the ground in 20', so your's will be a walk in the park;) Canada Goose Love the color scheme.Good luck,ENUT

Canada Goose
11-03-2005, 04:47 AM
Another couple of pictures. The flood picture was taken in the spring from the LT25 and made it into the local paper!

viflyer
11-03-2005, 11:19 AM
If I was going to do the conversion, I would consider the Hacker A30-12XL instead of the AXI. I would also consider the PQ 3S 4400 pack. 38Amps WOT/14X7 APC OR 15X8 for a bit more Amps and power.

Too bad my LT 25 gasser is long gone!!!!

ragbag
11-04-2005, 02:40 AM
I have the PQ3s2p2200 already. Would rather balance the 3s packs and put them together when I am ready to go. Have two sets ready and primed.

Swinging a 13x8 MAS, changed from a 11x7 at 7200 rpm. Haven't tached the 13x8 yet. Set it up with the 11x7 thinking I was going to have a clearance problem, not.

It came in at 4#8oz with both battery packs filled to the top.

If I realy have to, I have a set of 4s2p3300 PQ's ready also.
By George

guapoman2000
11-04-2005, 12:28 PM
Ragbag,

Nice progress and nice looking LT.

I just went back to read all of your posts on this thread and noticed you really did not state what kind of Brushless Electric Speed Control you are going to use with this setup and proposed 4-series Li-POLY setup?:confused:

I caution you that if you are using BEC enabled on certain ESC's and you happen to go 4-series then, you perhaps would need to consider a separate RX battery pack "or" a UBEC with bypass. The higher the voltage input into an ESC with BEC enabled the more it has difficulty in regulating all voltages for servos, and RX. Your RX will be the one that shuts down upon a major manuver such that assuming the BEC circuitry does not completely over-heats or short circuits.

Just wanted to give you this heads up before you go fly....

Carlos

guapoman2000
11-04-2005, 12:33 PM
ESC's usually contain technical specifications in their user manual and they rate the ESC (BEC enabled) by Servo Count (assuming non-high torque servos) and at a specific cell count. You will not see this information in the advertisement ad.

Carlos:cool:

ragbag
11-05-2005, 02:28 AM
Ragbag,

I just went back to read all of your posts on this thread and noticed you really did not state what kind of Brushless Electric Speed Control you are going to use with this setup and proposed 4-series Li-POLY setup?:confused:

I caution you that if you are using BEC enabled on certain ESC's and you happen to go 4-series then, you perhaps would need to consider a separate RX battery pack "or" a UBEC with bypass. The higher the voltage input into an ESC with BEC enabled the more it has difficulty in regulating all voltages for servos, and RX. Your RX will be the one that shuts down upon a major manuver such that assuming the BEC circuitry does not completely over-heats or short circuits.

Carlos

Jeti 40, which as of this AM is to small. Finaly got around to testing the
13x8.5 MAS and got 52 amps. Thats hard on the Jeti 40. When I was playing with the 11x7 MAS it was ok.

Probably go to a Jeti 70, might go with Castle Creations. I like the Jeti for the on/off switch. I don't mind playing with the CC when the batteries are on the outside of the plane, but when I am playing with the bigger ones I like the on/off switch which is not realy on/off. The only way to do that is put the switch in the positive power lead. Use an auto fuse for that and it will work.

A lot of people think they are shutting the power off when they turn off the switch. Leave the battery connected and come back tomorrow and see what your lipo's look like, maybe silver sasauge.:rolleyes:

The 4s is just in case the 3s doesn't do it. They are realy for the Senior Telemaster that I have hanging on the wall with the Saito 72 stuck on the front and 2# of .45 caliber black powder round balls in her belly to help the float.

By George

w1gom
11-27-2005, 12:39 AM
I am closing in the cowl somewhat. I am haveing trouble with hot motor in a Kadet EP 42 right now. It is the cowl.:mad:

This is going to be the extent of my "closing in the motor". I don't need that AXI smoking like the speed 400 in the EP 42. :D The jury is still out on how much more shaping I will do.
By George

1843 1844
Sure know about the "smoking motors" on the EP-42. Went to an outrunner. (Park 450 from E-Flight) and no cowl... ugly but cooler.

w1gom
11-27-2005, 12:47 AM
Here is my LT25...AXI 2826/10 with TP 3S2P 4200 battery...I have a Nikon 3700 strapped to the belly for AP work.
Just how did you trip the shutter on the Nikon?? The picture is great.

ragbag
01-04-2006, 11:28 PM
My Buddies have finaly gotten their LT's ready for the big day and now my eye doctor has grounded me.

The flying feild is five ares in the middle od a cattle farm fertilized with treated human waste.
Doesn't want me to get that in my eyes for a while longer.:(

Won't be long now, maybe next week.:)

By George

BEC
01-05-2006, 05:35 AM
The LT-25 has been a natural for coversion since it came out in early 1998. Mine has been flying since later that year. Some info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=3515 It has flown as a night flyer, a float plane, an aerial photography platform, an AP platform on floats (but so far no nighttime AP :) ).

The airplane currently has a Hacker B50-13L geared 3:1 turning a 14x7 APC-E prop and flying on either 14 CP-1700s or 4s lithiums. Zoom!

An AXi 2826 seems a really good choice and if I were doing it today that's one setup I'd look at very closely.

BTW, no ground clearance problems with the 14 inch prop. Stock gear, stock wheel size.

BillM
01-10-2006, 08:12 PM
This is one amazing airplane. Mine flys on a geared Astro 15 cobalt on 12 cells and (I believe) a 12 X 8 prop. I've used a variety of cell types from 1000 mah NiCads to 3300 NiMh and all have done a good job. I will probably convert to LiPo this year.

BM

ragbag
01-11-2006, 01:47 AM
We can't get it together!!!

One hasn't finished up the radio, he is the only one of us that works. The holidays slowed him down.

Just for the heck of it, here is a shot of one that got us started. Jerry likes to do 3D and this is one of his many modifications, note the tailfeathers. It will knife edge all day.
One of his others has floats and does touch and goes on the grass runways.

Surprised to see the dihedral in this one, he usualy takes it out, say's he wants to fly the airplane, don't need no hedral!!!!

This was taken in Dunnellon Fl. Had 35 middle school kids that built five LT 25's and taught them selves to fly on a simulator, then the local club that helped them build the planes took them out and got their "wings".

5730 5732 5731
Note the wind that day.

By George:)

ragbag
01-29-2006, 11:32 PM
I helped set up the trims on the last LT 25 of the group today.

4#8oz to 4#15oz is the finished weights.

All we have to do now is get the three of us and our test pilot on-line with good weather at the same time. One of us works and the other three are retired and have regular doctor and other commitments.

Will keep ya'll updated on the progress.

ragbag
02-08-2006, 01:11 PM
Well the great test day came and went. Everything was on go except the weather, 15-20 winds out of the south, cross winds if you will, then turned to spitting rain. All agreed that we could find a better day to try this. The high for the day was 50 degres, which wouldn't have been a bother except fo the wind chill.:mad:

It is a problem getting four people on site at the same time, working, doctors and honey do's.

Will get back when we set up and do it.:)

Canada Goose
02-26-2006, 07:55 PM
Just how did you trip the shutter on the Nikon?? The picture is great.

Oooops, was not receiving email to let me know there was new posts here...my fault!

I was using a Nikon 3700 mounted with a simple home made bracket to which a cheap micro servo was mounted to trigger the shutter. I used the spring loaded TX trainer switch to act as a momentary switch to fire the shutter...simple but it works.

I actually converted the plane to glow power for a large AP job where I needed a lot more air time than I could get from a battery. The drawback was then I introduced a lot of vibration to the airframe and it gave me a lot of grief before I could get good pictures. Now that the job is done I shall be re converting back to electric as I have scratch built a specific pusher twin boom plane (glow) for larger AP jobs. It has video and still picture abilities with a live down link to a monitor and/or video glasses.

Mike

Canada Goose
02-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Forgot to mention one thing....I have a short video of the LT25 flying in gusty 20+ mph winds while carrying the camera. If anyone is interested I can post the vid to a website.

Cheers

Mike

ragbag
06-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Jim,
Here are a couple of picture of Russell Lewis's LT 25 Elecrtric conversion. Thought you might use them in the newsletter. There are three of them around, Russell's, mine and Bill Hoehn. Bill hasn't been able to get a day off the same day as the weather is good.

We flew our today and they are great. Didn't get pictures of mine so Russell gets centerstage this time.
Sig Kadet LT 25
Axi 2826/10
3s1p 4200 lipo
12x6 apc-E

Flies a little better than mine, his prop choice was better than mine. Red Scholefield did the honors as the test pilot.
We have winners.

The pictures of mine are from the building process, since I didn't get any at the test flight.

12532 12533 12534 12535

ragbag
06-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Jim,
Here are a couple of picture of Russell Lewis's LT 25 Elecrtric conversion. Thought you might use them in the newsletter. There are three of them around, Russell's, mine and Bill Hoehn. Bill hasn't been able to get a day off the same day as the weather is good.

We flew our today and they are great. Didn't get pictures of mine so Russell gets centerstage this time.
Sig Kadet LT 25
Axi 2826/10
3s1p 4200 lipo
12x6 apc-E

Flies a little better than mine, his prop choice was better than mine. Red Scholefield did the honors as the test pilot.
We have winners.

The pictures of mine are from the building process, since I didn't get any at the test flight.

12532 12533 12534 12535

.Forgot to add the pictures of mine:

12536 12537 12538 12539

jonnyjetprop
06-07-2006, 02:35 AM
Nice looking. A big thanks for bring our hobby to the next generation. I asked my 8 year old son if he wanted to learn to fly. He said OK. Then I asked about getting a simulator. That is when he really got excited.

John

ragbag
06-08-2006, 10:40 AM
Ragbag,

Carlos

As noted, we did not need the 4s battery for this craft. Didn't think I would at the finished weights and all else considered.

But as I said, I had them if I needed them.:rolleyes:

ragbag
06-10-2006, 01:28 AM
Thanks to a lot of input through the forum and Hobby Lobby we got the LT's finished and got to test fly mine today.

All I have to say is it is a Kadet. It does everything that a Kadet is known to do and it does it well.

The only problem was the camera operator was having a bad hair day and the photos leave a lot to be desired.
Sorry, but this is the best I could do today.:o

12696 12697

ragbag
06-10-2006, 10:57 AM
One of our flying buddies took some shots for the newsletter, so he came through with some good shots.:) :)

12702 12703 12704

ragbag
02-16-2007, 01:55 AM
Picked up a set of A123 batteries the other day.

Moved the battery mount back 1 1/2 inch from the firewall. Now weights five pound and eight ounces.
Same APC 12x8, Jeti 70 ESC, 2826-10, 4s2p A123

51.5 Amps, 602 Watts, 7800 RPM

After I get some flights on these packs I will come back with an update on their use.

ragbag
02-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Russell is about ready to convert his to A123 also. Believe it or not Bill hasn't flown his yet.:)

24316 24317
Russ's ----------------- Mine ---------------

.................................................. .........................................

Fishbonez
03-23-2013, 06:11 PM
This thread of course is very dated. However these planes look great and it definitely has me thinking that this very well could be a balsa kit I may try doing here in the near future. I have never built a balsa kit and its a beginner plane. Definitely giving this some thought.

Wildflyer
03-24-2013, 08:06 AM
I am flying a Sig LT 25 with a power 32 equivalent motor I bought on ebay.
Plane weighs 6 lbs ready to fly, 2 - 4s 2200 nano-tech batteries in parallel, 800KV, 12/6 prop. around 800 watts wot.

It will go straight up at full throttle, very good flyer.
I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.

It is a good straight forward kit, easy build. My kit was a fuel powered plane, I did not try to lighten it up.

Fishbonez
03-24-2013, 08:29 AM
I am flying a Sig LT 25 with a power 32 equivalent motor I bought on ebay.
Plane weighs 6 lbs ready to fly, 2 - 4s 2200 nano-tech batteries in parallel, 800KV, 12/6 prop. around 800 watts wot.

It will go straight up at full throttle, very good flyer.
I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them here.

It is a good straight forward kit, easy build. My kit was a fuel powered plane, I did not try to lighten it up.

Cool I would be interested in what you have. I looked at the kit instructions and have to admit I was intimidated. I have never worked with balsa before in fact me and wood get along much like oil and water. I want to give it a try though. Something I have no need to rush through something that could take a long time if need be.

Wildflyer
03-25-2013, 12:04 AM
My LT-25 has had few modifications for electric power.
I filled in the access notches for the nitro motor with the pieces of the die-cut from this area. Just glue them back in and cut a smooth curve.
I changed the tank hatch, to give better access to the batteries.
Batteries sit on a floor made of 1/8" hardwood strips for ventilation.(removable, screwed to rails glued to fuse sides)
ESC is below that floor with air coming from a hole in the firewall below motor.
Motor is mounted on nylon stand-off tubes from Home Depot.
I added the wheel pants just for looks, they work great on our grass field, I think my wheels are a little oversize.
I did add the blue extension over the leading edge, to hold the wing, and the bolt at trailing edge to secure the wing (tired of rubber bands)

Motor is a power 32 equivalent motor I found on Ebay, 800kv about 800 watts peak burst.
Batteries are two HK nano-tech 4s 2200mah 25-50c with a parallel connection harness, gives me -- 4s 4400mah. Six minute flight uses about 2000 mah, 1000 from each battery, could go 10 minutes easy.
ESC is a HK Turnigy dlux 55A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
I am not running with the power from the ESC, I have a separate 5 cell 2000 mah 6V battery pack for the receiver and servos. (simply my choice)
Receiver is a HK OrangeRx R910 Spektrum DSM2 9Ch 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx.
I have the rx antenna forward by the leading edge, I have one satellite Rx at the trailing edge and another one in the extreme tail of the fuse.
Ground range is unreal, while doing a range test with the button held in, I stopped walking at over a 100 paces out, still solid.

Nylon tube pushrods to tail surfaces with pull/pull cable to tail wheel.
Right now one aileron servo, but changing to dual servos to get landing flaps, this plane glides like you won't believe.

Turner
03-25-2013, 04:27 AM
Very nice job on the build. I've been looking for some ideas on a hatch just like that. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Fishbonez
03-25-2013, 07:04 AM
WF Great Job!!! That looks amazing. I apprecite the detailed information you have provided. I think I may build one of these however I was pricing some of the motors needed etc. and they are a bit pricey along with the kit as well. :concern: I may hold off just a bit. pay some bills etc but definitly keeping this in mind :cool: and will add this thread to my favorites to continue to reference it.

soarrich
03-25-2013, 01:28 PM
@ Wildflyer
Nice plane, very clean looking. I also like your carry handle.

I'm shocked at the power everyone is putting in the plane. I have a Kaos 40 with a 834 watt motor and it was too much for it to fly like a 70's .40 plane, so I propped it back to about 725 watts which is about right for me. I have a LT40 kit, (not an ARF), that I am going to build and put the same motor in for my grandson that I'll prop for about 750 watts.

Wildflyer
03-26-2013, 02:07 AM
Thanks guys,

I really like the way modelers share information. When I raced model hydroplanes in the 70's, I had two world record holders, show me all their tricks on the hull and other things just so I could race against them.

My motor was found on ebay but I can't find the seller right now. It was only about $30.00 for motor, ESC, and shipping, HobbyKing USA warehouse has good motors and ESC's for affordable prices plus very fast shipping if you order from USA warehouse, about 3-4 days across the USA . Don't order anything out of stock, they will hold your order until it comes in.

As for the extra power, I have to admit I simply grabbed a motor I had on the shelf, that looked about right. I didn't do any research, plus I wanted to have a power reserve so I would be able to tow gliders up with this plane.
I don't even use full power for takeoffs, it lifts off nicely at a little over 1/2 stick, if I hit full power it would roll about 2 feet and drill a hole in the sky.
Once off the ground it cruises around at a little below 1/2 stick throttle, I think I could nurse it out to a 20 minute flight.
The plane needed the power of 4s and the weight of 4400 mah to balance. I run two packs in parallel because I have other planes that need 4s 2200 mah single batteries.

For fun, I have LED lights running on the front face of the wing spar, they light the entire leading edge as this wing uses two 1/8" square sub spars instead of sheating. The lights also bend and run back on the out side of the tip rib, that lights the wing tips. Red on left side, and Green on right side, of course. The rudder has white leds on the upper edges of the ribs, and the elevator has leds on the front edge of the hinge strip. All these lights are completely hidden until they are turned on.

Almost forgot there are blue leds inside the fuselage shining out the oval holes. I will take some pictures when it gets dark. These lights have a receiver controlled switch and run off a separate 3s Lipo.

Wildflyer
03-26-2013, 05:16 AM
Here are some pictures of my LT-25 at night.

I will always have red on left and green on right. Plus some kind of difference between top and bottom. This way you will know which direction the plane is going.

The red looks orange in these pictures ???? and the Green looks washed out ????

Fishbonez
03-26-2013, 05:26 AM
Really cool WF!!! My hats off to you craftsmanship. You got me going back to your pics to see where those lights are at :D

CNY_Dave
03-26-2013, 11:15 PM
My LT-25 has had few modifications for electric power.
I filled in the access notches for the nitro motor with the pieces of the die-cut from this area. Just glue them back in and cut a smooth curve.
I changed the tank hatch, to give better access to the batteries.
Batteries sit on a floor made of 1/8" hardwood strips for ventilation.(removable, screwed to rails glued to fuse sides)
ESC is below that floor with air coming from a hole in the firewall below motor.
Motor is mounted on nylon stand-off tubes from Home Depot.
I added the wheel pants just for looks, they work great on our grass field, I think my wheels are a little oversize.
I did add the blue extension over the leading edge, to hold the wing, and the bolt at trailing edge to secure the wing (tired of rubber bands)

Motor is a power 32 equivalent motor I found on Ebay, 800kv about 800 watts peak burst.
Batteries are two HK nano-tech 4s 2200mah 25-50c with a parallel connection harness, gives me -- 4s 4400mah. Six minute flight uses about 2000 mah, 1000 from each battery, could go 10 minutes easy.
ESC is a HK Turnigy dlux 55A SBEC Brushless Speed Controller
I am not running with the power from the ESC, I have a separate 5 cell 2000 mah 6V battery pack for the receiver and servos. (simply my choice)
Receiver is a HK OrangeRx R910 Spektrum DSM2 9Ch 2.4Ghz TwinPort Rx.
I have the rx antenna forward by the leading edge, I have one satellite Rx at the trailing edge and another one in the extreme tail of the fuse.
Ground range is unreal, while doing a range test with the button held in, I stopped walking at over a 100 paces out, still solid.

Nylon tube pushrods to tail surfaces with pull/pull cable to tail wheel.
Right now one aileron servo, but changing to dual servos to get landing flaps, this plane glides like you won't believe.

The motor looks just like my G Force G40.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1597463

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-systems/brushless-motors/outrunner-airplane.html?p=2

I don't see G40s for sale, but G32s and G46s are.

I have test run mine, not flown yet though.