PDA

View Full Version : CVS cam with lens extension mod

Louis123
09-07-2006, 04:18 AM
If anyone is interested...here is a link to some CVS cams with a lens extension mod:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlouis555Q5f1 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlouis555Q5f1)

There are various options and different prices. Even some options for people to send me their cams so I can modify them.

Thanks,
Louis

aviatordave
09-07-2006, 04:35 AM
Louis,

I wont knock you this time ;) , I apologize about before. Looks like a good idea and I hope you can help some guys out here. Do you have any examples of your cameras on airplanes?

Dave

GallopingGhost
09-08-2006, 12:10 AM
This is a good subject to post some sample video for camera comparison. I'm waiting for a cable to arrive so I can use the one I bought. I hope it unlocks ok!

Louis123
09-08-2006, 04:46 AM
Hi Dave,

Don't worry about it :) . You helped me to think about making some other options available.

The crazy part is I don't fly, I originally made this design for my son's model rocket. But since last year I've been getting some flying videos from people who bought them, and I've been thinking about it. I guess it's got me hooked to want to try it now. I noticed in some other forums that everyone says to start with the Easystar. If that's the way to go I plan on purchasing one in the next month or so. Maybe I can post some videos of it crashing!

Hopefully these cams can help some guys out to get better videos (no prop, different angles, etc...).

I'm anxious to see some videos posted here.

Thanks,
Louis

rahtware
09-08-2006, 01:01 PM
Have you taken apart a Point & Shoot (non-returnable version of the CVS CC) yet?

ForestCam
09-08-2006, 06:17 PM
I have a feeling that those are like the latest CVS/Rite Aid version which has the camera is directly mounted to the main circuit board and is not removable.

Actually his price on a ready to go unit is compairable to what you paid.

rahtware
09-08-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm sure you are right, I was just hopping.

GallopingGhost
09-08-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey Louis123 at least post some rocket shots or stills of the camera setup so we can see the size of the parts.

Louis123
09-10-2006, 10:33 PM
rahtware,
ForestCam is right, the Point & Shoot is the same as the latest CVS/RiteAid versions with the sensor mounted on the main board. But I am working on another lens extension version for the newer models and it should also work on the Point & Shoot. I need to do more testing though.

GallopingGhost,
Unfortunately my son lost the rocket after a few flights the first time we tried it. He got too "comfortable" and used a larger rocket engine when it was windy and the rocket floated away a few miles! But we are going to rebuild another one. I can take some pictures (different from the ebay ones) if you want me to? Let me know.

GallopingGhost
09-12-2006, 10:33 PM
rahtware,
ForestCam is right, the Point & Shoot is the same as the latest CVS/RiteAid versions with the sensor mounted on the main board. But I am working on another lens extension version for the newer models and it should also work on the Point & Shoot. I need to do more testing though.

GallopingGhost,
Unfortunately my son lost the rocket after a few flights the first time we tried it. He got too "comfortable" and used a larger rocket engine when it was windy and the rocket floated away a few miles! But we are going to rebuild another one. I can take some pictures (different from the ebay ones) if you want me to? Let me know.

We are always interested in seeing some photos! Have you hacked a CVS 510 still camera?

rahtware
09-13-2006, 12:19 AM
Pics

I thought I would show the range of the P&S...
The first pic was taken after sunset...

This pic was taken in full sunlight...

Both seem OK to me.

This one shows me in the field that I used to play in when I was a kid. It is going to be 21 houses soon...

These are all captures from P&S videos taken at 640 x 480.

rahtware
09-13-2006, 03:38 AM
Man. double posts, no thumbprints, I've been having a lot of problems since the upgrade.

On top of that I got the first two pictures reversed... But you already figured that out.

Louis123
09-13-2006, 04:37 AM
Have you taken apart a Point & Shoot (non-returnable version of the CVS CC) yet?

Sorry rahtware, I didn't realize you were talking about the CVS still cameras, I thought you were talking about the Target and RCA Point & Shoot camcorders. I'm not sure if the still cameras have the sensor mounted on the main circuit board or not.

Nice pictures by the way. Too bad about the field.

We are always interested in seeing some photos! Have you hacked a CVS 510 still camera?

I'll see if I can post some photos in the next few days. No I haven't hacked a CVS 510 yet, but something to look into.

aviatordave
09-13-2006, 04:45 AM
But since last year I've been getting some flying videos from people who bought them, and I've been thinking about it.

Louis

so Louis..you could share the wealth (videos).....

Dave

rahtware
09-13-2006, 05:20 AM
[quote=Louis123;102976]Sorry rahtware, I didn't realize you were talking about the CVS still cameras, I thought you were talking about the Target and RCA Point & Shoot camcorders. I'm not sure if the still cameras have the sensor mounted on the main circuit board or not.

Nice pictures by the way. Too bad about the field.

You were right the first time... The pics were just captured frames from P&S camcorder videos.

Louis123
09-13-2006, 04:35 PM
so Louis..you could share the wealth (videos).....

Dave

I looked through my old emails and found a few links...keep in mind these are not the lens extension versions, but just the regular USB mod. that I sold.

There are some videos under the gallery section. They make some pretty cool gliders:
http://www.wowings.com

There are a couple of videos in this forum from LexTalionis.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5826063#post5826063

This is another one.
http://media.putfile.com/EasyStar-AV

Some of the other links I found don't work anymore, oh well...

admin
09-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Just found this Stryker CVS tail cam..very cool:

http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video.php?viewkey=1715466cd580a448cf82

dentedvw
09-26-2006, 11:54 PM
So, if I went to CVS, bought a camera, what does it take to modify it to download to my computer? Looking at the links I have found has given me a headache, between all the threats of lawsuits, and complete geekspeak, it is diffiult to see how I can make it work. :)

rahtware
09-27-2006, 01:17 AM
So, if I went to CVS, bought a camera, what does it take to modify it to download to my computer? Looking at the links I have found has given me a headache, between all the threats of lawsuits, and complete geekspeak, it is diffiult to see how I can make it work. :)

No can do! So far, the new versions can't be hacked.

dentedvw
09-27-2006, 02:40 PM
Hm. Crud. So what should I do with the one I have just bought, and opened? :(

dentedvw
09-27-2006, 02:41 PM
I guess i can still use it to take short videos that only I can see. Pbbttt...

rahtware
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
I guess i can still use it to take short videos that only I can see. Pbbttt...

That, and wait for the day that some Geek comes up with a way to hack the new ones... You know they are trying, don't you...:D

Louis123
09-28-2006, 03:34 AM
Hm. Crud. So what should I do with the one I have just bought, and opened? :(

That, and wait for the day that some Geek comes up with a way to hack the new ones... You know they are trying, don't you...:D

They can all be used now even the new ones...:)

FlyinLo
09-30-2006, 07:09 PM
Louis, I just want to clarify that this camera (http://cgi.ebay.com/CVS-RiteAid-Digital-Camcorder-with-USB-cable_W0QQitemZ230033578221QQihZ013QQcategoryZ1172 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is the modified CVS video camera that you can strap to an R/C plane, shoot videos and put them onto your PC.

Couple of questions:
How long are the video clips?
What is the video resolution and framerate?
Are the batteries replaceable?
What is the weight?
What software is required to extract the video onto a PC?

Thanks

diablo
09-30-2006, 07:16 PM
Whut's it take to get one of these cameras to a plane or rocket to do video? ( I have a modded camera already to get video to my computer) I just don't see how the plane or rocket holds the weight.. Thx!

rahtware
09-30-2006, 09:45 PM
I'm flying a stock Point and Shoot cam in a plane I designed for it. The BP-21 motor has no problem lifting the plane with camera aboard.

Whut's it take to get one of these cameras to a plane or rocket to do video? ( I have a modded camera already to get video to my computer) I just don't see how the plane or rocket holds the weight.. Thx!

diablo
09-30-2006, 10:14 PM
I have an aero ace, It's too heavy for that lol

GallopingGhost
10-01-2006, 01:28 AM
I'm flying a GWS Slow Stick with a BP 12. It will carry the CVS camera at 1/2 throttle no problem. I have 3 of the CVS cameras all different models and all are hacked. The last one was bought today and it is a model 230 with firmware 3.05. I have a model 200 that was a firmware 3.85 and it works fine too. It seems the model 200 was updated with the newest firmware last (and I do mean last) trip back to CVS.
Now who can tell us where to buy just the cable for remote lens?

Louis123
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
FlyinLo,

Yes, that is one of the options that can be used on R/C planes. The link below has the other options. The length of the video clips depends on a few factors such as the resolution, framerate and how much motion / movement is in your video. The default time limit is 20 minutes, but this can be changed, increased or decreased. The cams can hold 128MB worth of video, that's the hardware limit. Yes the batteries can be replaced. There are various freeware programs available to download the videos and change the settings on the cams.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlouis555Q5f1 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlouis555Q5f1)

onlyemokid,

You can take the case off of the camera to reduce the weight, as well you can use lighter batteries (rocket use) and/or power from onboard batteries (R/C use).

GallopingGhost,

The remote lens has 2 PCB's with the ribbon cable, as well as some other parts. It requires soldering / desoldering some surface mount parts. If you are interested in obtaining the parts PM me or you can send in your cam for modification, see the link above.

Thanks,
Louis

FlyinLo
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
FlyinLo,

Yes, that is one of the options that can be used on R/C planes. The link below has the other options. The length of the video clips depends on a few factors such as the resolution, framerate and how much motion / movement is in your video. The default time limit is 20 minutes, but this can be changed, increased or decreased. The cams can hold 128MB worth of video, that's the hardware limit. Yes the batteries can be replaced. There are various freeware programs available to download the videos and change the settings on the cams.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlouis555Q5f1 (http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZlouis555Q5f1)

The "case mod" - does that mean you remove the case and the buyer mounts the camera internals in their airplane and routes the extended lens to the exterior?

Also, do you have a link to any of the freeware programs we would need?

-Derrick

Louis123
10-02-2006, 01:43 AM
The "case mod" - does that mean you remove the case and the buyer mounts the camera internals in their airplane and routes the extended lens to the exterior?

Also, do you have a link to any of the freeware programs we would need?

-Derrick

Sorry for the confusion. The "case mod" refers to modifying (cutting out) the case for the lens cable and USB connector to fit. With no case mod the cam will not fit back in the case. I hope this clears things up, let me know if not.

Thanks,
Louis

admin
10-12-2006, 06:13 PM
How much do these CVS cam's weigh?

Louis123
10-13-2006, 05:36 AM
Hi Marc,

Before I mod the cams they weigh about 4.9 oz.

Here's a break down after the mod:
- Lens assembly without the ribbon cable 0.4 oz
- 6" ribbon cable 0.5 oz
- 18" ribbon cable 0.9 oz

So the camera with case, batteries, lens assembly, 18" ribbon cable, USB connector 6.3 oz.

Without the case and batteries 2.65 oz.

Here are some photos.

Thanks,
Louis

Louis123
11-27-2006, 09:58 PM
Louis,

......Do you have any examples of your cameras on airplanes?

Dave

We are always interested in seeing some photos! Have you hacked a CVS 510 still camera?\

I finally have a test video of the remote lens extension on an airplane. I don't think he has any videos of it flying yet. I'm waiting for permission from someone else to post the video of their plane flying with the cam onboard. I'll post it soon, for now here's the other video:

http://media.putfile.com/F16-testje

Louis

Louis123
11-29-2006, 03:35 AM
Here's the video with a remote lens extension cam on a jet actually flying. It's pretty neat seeing the landing gear move up and down! :)

http://www.lajets.org/video/basinfromair2-edited.wmv

Louis

ForestCam
11-30-2006, 10:52 PM
The only aerial video I've seen that DIDN'T need the music added in!!! I really wanted to hear that turbine! :(

For some reason I have the urge to call Geico.:confused: