PDA

View Full Version : First attempt at building a foamie

mikerenz66
09-05-2005, 07:24 AM

$4.00 worth of WalMart foam board ( 3mm depron), some spare balsa and ply ,one 1/4" spruce stick 20" long, power plant taken from GWS Slow Stick, 4ch rx, HS55 servos, 7cell AAA 700mah nimh pack, and you get what you see....30" wing span, 315" of wing area, and 11oz total weight. Its based off a plane called And Now. I took it out yesterday for a test flight. Found that the C/G needs some major adjusting...nose heavy.. but I did keep it up in the air for a bit. Seems very positive on all controls even though I had to keep some up elev. fed in.
I juggled the battery pack around a bit when I got home and will give it another go.

Mike

EpoweredRc
09-06-2005, 04:52 AM

$4.00 worth of WalMart foam board ( 3mm depron), some spare balsa and ply ,one 1/4" spruce stick 20" long, power plant taken from GWS Slow Stick, 4ch rx, HS55 servos, 7cell AAA 700mah nimh pack, and you get what you see....30" wing span, 315" of wing area, and 11oz total weight. Its based off a plane called And Now. I took it out yesterday for a test flight. Found that the C/G needs some major adjusting...nose heavy.. but I did keep it up in the air for a bit. Seems very positive on all controls even though I had to keep some up elev. fed in.
I juggled the battery pack around a bit when I got home and will give it another go.

Mike

Interesting,keep it flying

runwaydodger
09-07-2005, 03:34 AM
most of the foamboard i use from wal-mart is 5 mm. i like using it and it saves me from ordering off the net.(dont like to wait!):rolleyes: i have built jets and 3d planes, and a few others out of it. paper is a pain but stick it in the bathroom through a few showers and the humidty will do the rest.

mikerenz66
09-07-2005, 05:53 AM
most of the foamboard i use from wal-mart is 5 mm. i like using it and it saves me from ordering off the net.(dont like to wait!):rolleyes: i have built jets and 3d planes, and a few others out of it. paper is a pain but stick it in the bathroom through a few showers and the humidty will do the rest.

I just fill the tub up and soak it.......make a mess, but its worth it.

Mike

soarr
09-07-2005, 06:04 AM
How do you shape the wing?

runwaydodger
09-08-2005, 02:55 AM
most of mine i just round the leading edge, and trailing edge. they fly fine, but more on the motor than the wing.:)

runwaydodger
09-08-2005, 02:57 AM
I just fill the tub up and soak it.......make a mess, but its worth it.

Mike

that is one of the easiest, as long as the little woman dont gripe to much;)

trey3670
09-08-2005, 03:38 AM
where in wally world do you find this stuff?

rahtware
09-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Question about quality/density of Wally World foam board vrs Depron...

Is it just as good? Or is it worth the cost, and wait to buy the real stuff?

I tried it once and was very frustrated by the paper. Truth is I never did get rid of it completely.

Crashalott
09-08-2005, 12:17 PM
Like the man said, soak in warm water..peel off paper...dry with paper towel and then sand off the remaining paper as much as desired. Works good for me.

rahtware
09-08-2005, 02:41 PM
Like the man said, soak in warm water..peel off paper...dry with paper towel and then sand off the remaining paper as much as desired. Works good for me.

Ahhh, I thought I was going for a completely paper-free surface...:o

OK, next time I will fight the Norwegian in me and settle for less then perfect results.

runwaydodger
09-09-2005, 03:14 AM
where in wally world do you find this stuff?

find it next to the padded envelopes and posterboard.

runwaydodger
09-09-2005, 03:21 AM
Ahhh, I thought I was going for a completely paper-free surface...:o

OK, next time I will fight the Norwegian in me and settle for less then perfect results.

actually mine have came out with no paper at all on them.(well most of the time:o .)i use the white and most of it peels completely off clean.

Combat Drone
10-20-2005, 02:32 AM
Just wondering. What if you left the paper on? Wouldn't it add more strength or is it a weight issue?

Probably a dumb question but I assure you it isn't my first.........

qban_flyer
10-20-2005, 02:46 AM
Just wondering. What if you left the paper on? Wouldn't it add more strength or is it a weight issue?

Probably a dumb question but I assure you it isn't my first.........

I don't think the paper "on" is going to make much of a difference in weight and like you said, it will make for a stronger wing.

I'll be trekking to W/M tomorrow to get me some of that stuff to make a Delta model out of it.

qban_flyer
10-20-2005, 02:48 AM

Mike

Nice looking model.

runwaydodger
10-20-2005, 04:06 AM
the paper is'nt a big thing but it does add a little weight.i have made jets(along with others.) and it saves about 3 oz maybe total. i just like the look with no paper.:cool:

qban_flyer
10-20-2005, 04:11 AM
the paper is'nt a big thing but it does add a little weight.i have made jets and it saves about 3 oz maybe total. i just like the look with no paper.:cool:

Three ounces savings by removing the paper is quite a bit savings on a small model.

I'll remove the paper before I do anything with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Combat Drone
10-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Three ounces savings by removing the paper is quite a bit savings on a small model.

I'll remove the paper before I do anything with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Same here, wow, 3 ounces. That is 25% of what my Eflite Ultimate weighs.

gkm41
10-20-2005, 05:11 AM
did a little building with this stuff, not as stiff as depron but works well, paper is a problem, built an Ultimate bipe but just couldn't balance it at all, way too tail heavy, tore it apart and removed paper, balanced nice and flew pretty good.... do your self a favour, remove the paper and put in a couple of spars, carbon or even bamboo, works well.

Crashalott
10-20-2005, 12:42 PM
get the paper off

Now i think youve got it!!!

Combat Drone
10-20-2005, 11:27 PM
I read somewhere that after you remove the paper (I soaked my parts in the tub) that you should lay it on a flat smooth surface. The tension holds the foam parts to it like a magnet if they are wet.

My workbench is formica and it worked out perfectly.

Down with paper!:mad:

qban_flyer
10-21-2005, 12:10 AM
I read somewhere that after you remove the paper (I soaked my parts in the tub) that you should lay it on a flat smooth surface. The tension holds the foam parts to it like a magnet if they are wet.

My workbench is formica and it worked out perfectly.

Down with paper!:mad:

Thanks for this extra tip. I'll cut a board in half, then remove the paper from one and leave the other one intact. Once the paperless segment is dry, I'll check the difference in weight between the two.

I am sure the paperless one will be lighter, but several ounces reduction by just removing the paper sounds like a lot of weight reduction to me. Even when one considers an entire model made of the stuff.

I also wonder if the reduction won't be offset by the added weight of having to reinforce the paperless foam with carbon fiber rods afterwards.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Crashalott
10-21-2005, 12:46 PM
I also wonder if the reduction won't be offset by the added weight of having to reinforce the paperless foam with carbon fiber rods afterwards

Depends on the model you are building. I did not use any graphite rod or any reinforcement in my build of the Mini 3DXF. I built a full fuse using formers cut from the Wallyboard and in the front end i used thin plywood for the landing gear and the motor mt.

Combat Drone
10-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Looking forward to your results qban. Thanks for sharing.

qban_flyer
10-21-2005, 06:25 PM
I built a full fuse using formers cut from the Wallyboard and in the front end i used thin plywood for the landing gear and the motor mt.

That makes sense. Those formers are light weight and will add considerable strength to the fuselage besides making it look more like an airplane.

That also explains why you saved so much weight on your model. Since you were building a complete full fuselage the extra paper on both sides would have added quite a lot of unnecessary baggage onboard.

I'll use the same aproach on whatever I decide to build.

Any pictures you can post of your plane?

runwaydodger
10-22-2005, 05:22 AM
thats why i remove the paper. built up fuse you tend to add a lot of paper in the mix. plus it just seems right. i use carbon spars and sometimes the smallest dowel rods, depends on the model. i just got my new postal scale(other one came to a sudden stop on concrete.:rolleyes: ) and weighed the parts before and after the paper removal, 2.7 ounce reduction.( in my f-18.) :D it varies from plane to plane, a small 3-d plane would probably only add up to about 1\2 to 1 ounce, but thats a flat fuse.you can check out a couple of my pusher jets at http://runwaydodger.rcuniverse.com pics are to big i guess to post here. anyway the paper is heavier than you might think.

qban_flyer
10-22-2005, 05:36 AM
thats why i remove the paper. built up fuse you tend to add a lot of paper in the mix. plus it just seems right. i use carbon spars and sometimes the smallest dowel rods, depends on the model. i just got my new postal scale(other one came to a sudden stop on concrete.:rolleyes: ) and weighed the parts before and after the paper removal, 2.7 ounce reduction.( in my f-18.) :D it varies from plane to plane, a small 3-d plane would probably only add up to about 1\2 to 1 ounce, but thats a flat fuse.you can check out a couple of my pusher jets at http://runwaydodger.rcuniverse.com pics are to big i guess to post here. anyway the paper is heavier than you might think.

Not only the paper, but I guess the adhesive gets disolved away while the sheet is kept wet. I am sure that once you remove the paper, most of the adhesive goes with it, and so does its additional weight.

runwaydodger
10-24-2005, 03:29 AM
most of the adhesive is gone but you still need to sand a little with some 400 grit sandpaper to make the paint look good. the paint dont stick at all to the glue if any is left.:mad: most of the weight is the paper though, they use a multi-layer and it is a pretty good paper.

Combat Drone
10-24-2005, 03:56 AM
Not only the paper, but I guess the adhesive gets disolved away while the sheet is kept wet. I am sure that once you remove the paper, most of the adhesive goes with it, and so does its additional weight.

qban, I am looking forward to your experiment with the 1/2 and 1/2 sheet. I just stripped all the paper off of a Edge 540 profile that I cut out. I could not beleive the big pile of wet paper! I didn't weigh it but once the whole bunch dried out it felt like the weight of an entire plane all by itself, wow!

Now I understand why folks strip off all the paper, now on to the build and paint job.:p

qban_flyer
10-24-2005, 06:25 AM
most of the adhesive is gone but you still need to sand a little with some 400 grit sandpaper to make the paint look good. the paint dont stick at all to the glue if any is left.:mad: most of the weight is the paper though, they use a multi-layer and it is a pretty good paper.

Too bad it is so darned heavy, isn't it?

qban_flyer
10-24-2005, 06:29 AM
qban, I am looking forward to your experiment with the 1/2 and 1/2 sheet. I just stripped all the paper off of a Edge 540 profile that I cut out. I could not beleive the big pile of wet paper! I didn't weigh it but once the whole bunch dried out it felt like the weight of an entire plane all by itself, wow!

Now I understand why folks strip off all the paper, now on to the build and paint job.:p

Are we sure it is paper and not lightweight cardboard? Based on what he says about it being multi layer and looking at it makes me think it's possible that it might be very thin cardboard on that white foam and not paper.

I'll do my "experiment" during the week, then I'll post what the difference of the papered foam vs. the paperless one really is.

Crashalott
10-25-2005, 02:29 PM
Qban Flyer, here is a pic of my Mini 3DXF made of Wallyboard(stripped)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/th_Mini3dxmod1002.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/Olddog1/Mini3dxmod1002.jpg)

qban_flyer
10-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Qban Flyer, here is a pic of my Mini 3DXF made of Wallyboard(stripped)

Now that's a mighty fine looking Wallyboard foamy you have there Crashalott. Amazing what you did with that board, and I now can see why is it that so much weight can be saved by removing the paper (cardboard?) from the board's surface.

Nice job!!! :D :D :D

Combat Drone
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
That looks great Crash, well done!

Crashalott
10-25-2005, 09:56 PM
Hey thanks for the compliments guy's

Don Sims
10-26-2005, 02:11 AM
Very fine looking plane. How does she fly crash?

runwaydodger
10-26-2005, 03:46 AM
nice plane! you may be right on the cardboard, or maybe posterboard:confused: .whatever it is it works better without it.

Crashalott
10-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Very fine looking plane. How does she fly crash?

This airframe works good but so far i don't have the right setup for it to fly the best. It is experimental right now and i am awaiting some parts for it to further experiment. I expect it to fly good. If it don't i can make another one. I probably will anyway.

Crashalott
10-26-2005, 12:36 PM
nice plane! you may be right on the cardboard, or maybe posterboard:confused: .whatever it is it works better without it.

Hey, its hard to beat the price!

qban_flyer
10-26-2005, 06:23 PM
It is experimental right now and i am awaiting some parts for it to further experiment. I expect it to fly good. If it don't i can make another one. I probably will anyway.

That's what makes this hobby so much fun. Put our ideas into foam then go try them out. If they don't work as good as we hoped for, then try and try again.

I still think looks mighty fine, and have a notion you'll work the bugs out of it.