PDA

View Full Version : Watt Age P-47 build up

Crash9
09-09-2006, 08:29 AM
I got this Watt Age P-47 back in April and I had forgotten about it until now. I Never built it back then because I was waiting for the crash that would put an end to my E-Flite P-47. But that never happen til yesterday when I let my buddy fly it (so he could decide if he wanted to go buy one). It is repairable, but it's gain some wieght from previous crashes so being almost a year old and getting fat, I had to put her to rest. It was my first foamy (I use to be anti-foamy) and it helped get me into more of them like the GWS warbirds that I love to build & fly. And of course the good thing about them is they can fly in small areas, no runway needed. Even though the Watt Age P-47D is not foam, I'm still looking forward to getting it together and flying a balsa covered plane again.:cool:

Tomorrow I will start to build the wings as per instructions.

As of now my set up will basicly the same as my E-Flite P-47:

Parkrunner 480 Brushless outrunner motor
Castle Creations 35amp ECS
HS-55 servos
Spectrum AR6000 RX & Optic 6 /2.4ghz
2100mAh Lipo
11x7 prop

barmonkey
09-09-2006, 10:29 PM
Sure looks like your buddy needs to buy one...for you! You can get replacement parts (wings, cowls ect..) from Horizon Hobby.

I don't know anything about the Watt-Age P-47...just a P-47 fan. What are the specs on it...wingspan, weight...?

Crash9
09-10-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah I thought about getting new parts for the E-flite Jug but it would be cheaper to just pick up another. Every wing and fuse needs replacing. As far as the wieght should be about the same as the foamy at 27 to 30oz.

Crash9
09-10-2006, 08:38 PM
Putting together the wing is simple but the first problem I came across is getting the servo wires through the ribs of the wings. The instructions claim theres a pull string inside the wings but there isn't any sign of them in mine. Answer to this would be to install servos before gluing wings halfs together so ti's a little easier to fish out the wire. I had to use some solid wire (coat hanger) to fish the leads through.

Crash9
09-10-2006, 08:44 PM
I didn't care for the wheels that came with kit, not scale in appearance at all. They do work how ever as Bush Wheels on my Impress II. :rolleyes:

alienx
09-11-2006, 04:17 PM
I'll be watching your build and glad to see lots of pics! I too want as many P47's as I can get. I looked at the Wattage as an economical smaller size, but can't use a wheeled plane right now. But you may talk me into it with this build thread.

Good luck. Keep the pics coming.

Crash9
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Yeah the landing gear will probaly limit it to a smooth surfaces, but there's a chance this plane is strong enough for belly landings, I will find out as I start to fly it. So far it's seems to be a really solid plane.

Tail went together with no problems. I like the look of this Jug the more I get it closer to together the more I can't wait to fly it.

Glued the belly on

I put the E-flite pilot in the cockpit so there's someone at the controls.

Crash9
09-11-2006, 08:57 PM
When I glued the belly on I chosed to do it with the wing mounted to the fuse. This way I could tape it in place and have the slightly warped peice match the fuse better.

Crash9
09-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Last night I finished this Jug. I have to say this plane was easy to build and the instructions where detailed. I put about 6 hours and 3 nights to assemble. Now that it's done I'm impressed with the detail and design with the only thing lame about it is the landing gear (common on most electrics). This plane will probaly fly great with the fact it has less drag then my foamy Jug. I hope to fly it sometime tomorrow and I will post back with a flite review.:cool:

No honey, that's not a new plane, It's the green one with a new wing and paint.:D

Crash9
09-12-2006, 07:08 PM
My addiction.....

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Scottzz/RCplanes049.jpg

alienx
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Looks nice. That was a quick build for sure!

Good luck on the maiden.

Zredd
11-02-2006, 05:11 AM
How's that bird flying?

I saw one in the air recently, looked like fun.

How would it fly with a Mega 400/15/6? 1050 KV

Don Sims
11-30-2006, 02:42 AM
I've got one Z and it flies great. Mine has the landing gear on it and a Multiplex 480-6d.

Crash9
11-30-2006, 06:26 PM
I got some more flight time on my P-47 over Thankgiving. I went out camping with friends and family and brought my whole hanger. I had GWS Slow stick, P-51, WattAge Super impress 2, P-47 ,Trex Heli and a couple more. All & all I had the most fun flying the P-47. The only thing I can say is it is a very "crisp" flyer and a blast. The only down side was the landing gear which I removed any way since I would be belly landing in soft sand. I added some packing tape to the belly to add some protection and the Jug held up great.

Crash9
01-03-2007, 08:24 AM
Up-Date on this plane. I have 23 flights on this Jug and I feel it's becoming one of the funnest warbird planes that I have own. To date the only problem is the inner plywood fuse had come unglued after a less then perfect landing. The outside fuselage is holding up to belly landings without any damage.
One thing I don't like about this plane is removing the wing after each flite to access the battery, not a big deal but it's not the easiest way to swap them.:cool:

Don Sims
01-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Crash, on the review that I did of the plane I mentioned the same issue about the wing. I was hoping someone would post a fix. Going through the canopy without major modifications is not the answer.

Crash9
01-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Hey Don, That's funny because I was just on RCU reading your reveiw and totally agree with you. There's got to be a better way to get to the battery. I had the Wattage AT-6 and it had an opening through the canopy and that didn't seem to work very well and was very hard to get my hands in there to undo the Velcro. Some type of quick release on the wing would be cool. Mine didn't have the pull string for the servos either. Anybody got any suggestions out there. Thanks

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a359/Scottzz/P-47overGlamis.jpg

(great review Don, hope you don't mind if I add a link)http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=808

Don Sims
01-04-2007, 12:57 AM
:o Thanks Crash!:o

Sometimes folks say we embellish on reviews and we probably do at times. I try my best to write em as I fly em and still be as kind as possible to the manufacturer. It was cool to me reading your thoughts as well as your opinions and seeing how closely mirrored they were to the review.

Don Sims
01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
But we still need ideas on the swapping the battery issue!!!

mike early
03-28-2008, 01:30 AM
This plane is dirt cheap. May I presume the kit today is the same? No hatch?

Cryhavoc
04-14-2008, 04:16 PM
I just bought one of these on a whim over the weekend and have got the wings put together. I was just going to throw it together for a beater but after looking at it a bit I'm surprisingly impressed.

It must have been sitting on the shelf for a while so if they ever did a battery hatch, mine does not have it.

I have been looking online and there is not much out there on it. I don't see it advertised on the HP's website which doesn't bode well. I guess Wattage's general rep for substandard quality put alot of people off. Its too bad this one product, which is actually a step above other Wattage offerings I've had, didn't catch on.

The other factor could possibly be the pretty boring color scheme. Gotta admit the E-flite P-47 is really sharp looking. However, during my searching I found this pic showing the color scheme of the actual bird during WWII. With a little pin stripping tape and an Ink Jet decal it would be very easy to spice up the looks. Add some Robart scale wheels and doll up the cockpit and I think it'll be a real looker.

Alternatively, the basically blank airframe is a nice canvas for whatever color scheme you want.

Mike

Lexta
05-07-2008, 04:42 AM
my wattage p-47 is my favorite warbird. Best flying warbird I own. I had it set up with retracts but after a year I decided to take them out and now I just hand launch. It realy is a great model aircraft.

FPVpilot
05-07-2008, 03:13 PM
I've purchased 2 of them and I agree that there a really good kit other then having to remove the wing to get to the battery. In the air they look as good as they fly. I saw at my local HS they go on sale sometimes for $40 and well worth it:).