PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbirds -or- Blue Angels?

GTO@2
09-10-2006, 03:04 AM
I was wondering who you guys thought were better at performing. Although I have seen neither the Thunderbirds nor the Blue Angels, I think the Blue Angels do better (I have seen tv shows on both).

vax6335
09-10-2006, 03:12 AM
Boy you've opened up a whole can of worms here.

I'm in the Air Force, and I love the Tbirds, but I do honestly think the Blue Angels put on a better show. :p

firemanbill
09-10-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm gonna go with the company line here and say the Thunderbirds!:D Been watching them both for 25 years or so now and will say that neither of them put on the show they did 20 years ago...:(

ForestCam
09-10-2006, 03:21 AM
Yea and the Blue Angels never had a marionetamation TV show either. :D

firemanbill
09-10-2006, 03:23 AM
Yea and the Blue Angels never had a marionetamation TV show either. :D

you know that one took me a minute...:o LOL

aircruiser
09-10-2006, 05:18 PM
I'll take thunderbirds because I have seen them do amazing stuff. The Blue Angels are great too. I saw them at Oshkosh and they were pretty cool, but I like F-16s better than F-18A Hornets. :)

TLyttle
09-11-2006, 02:44 AM
Seen 'em both, but I have also seen the Snowbirds from Canada, and the Red Arrows (?) in Britain with their 12-plane formations... wow...

firemanbill
09-11-2006, 02:53 AM
Seen 'em both, but I have also seen the Snowbirds from Canada, and the Red Arrows (?) in Britain with their 12-plane formations... wow...

The Italians Frecce Tricolori put on a heck of a show back in the 80's too! I saw them in Germany the year before the horrendous accident at Ramstein. I sure am glad I shipped out before that one...:(

John Seidelman
09-12-2006, 02:56 AM
The Blues Back in the 60's were Outstanding. But the planes have changed so much now that they are very close.
They put on a show at Alameda Naval Air while I was there and those birds were really the Cleanest and best maintained of all the birds I have ever seen.

firemanbill
09-12-2006, 03:00 AM
The Blues Back in the 60's were Outstanding. But the planes have changed so much now that they are very close.
They put on a show at Alameda Naval Air while I was there and those birds were really the Cleanest and best maintained of all the birds I have ever seen.

They do look sharp that is for sure...

And how about that C-130??? Man is that a lot of blue paint or what???:eek:

John Seidelman
09-12-2006, 03:06 AM
And the Guys really were sharp and crisp in all the actions they do in all aspects of the team. From start to tie down.

NUTS
09-15-2006, 01:09 AM
Blue Angels without question. Unlike most demo teams the Blue's do not wear G suits. They can't because the yoke on a F18 is between your legs. You can't have that suit blowing up and down when doing precision flying. You can tell by my avitar that I may be a bit biased:D

Regards,
Nuts

Army Dad
09-16-2006, 07:17 PM
The last time I saw the Blue Angels they were still flying the A4,the Thunder Birds were here in town last year. I think its a draw I love them both.

Don Sims
09-17-2006, 01:03 AM
Both of them are great, I agree that hteir shows are a lot tamer then they were in the 70's and 80's.

TeslaWinger
09-17-2006, 04:32 AM
If your first is always the most memorable I would go with the Blue Angels. Like that St Paulie Girl- ya never forget the wonder and FEEL of it!

It was Willow Grove Naval Airstation AMA Nationals way back in my 60s youth - my first RC meet and those blue jets! I was thunderstruck by them and saw them both yrs later also. They are all the very best.

After Ramstein and then the Sukhoi bird-sucking incident with that lucky, no- that QUICK Russian pilot who did a great job they have toned it down.

The footage of the FT fireball plowing thru the crowd in Germany changed everything, like that Hindenburg footage ending the Golden Age Of Flight.

Having seen dot matrix skywriting I imagine a computer driven RPV airshow could be flown by now- but what fun is that?

Twizter68
09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
Gotta go with the Blues, and not just because it's the company line; I was a scout at the show in Miramar in 77-78 when they lost the #6 jet and pilot on the practice day, 2 days before the show (the vert stab dragged the runway during the inverted pass). The Team still managed to put on the most professional display I've ever seen during the two flying days they had, even while mourning the loss of one of their own.

RacerPaul
01-22-2007, 12:59 AM
I've seen both the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels recently almost back to back... Blues Rule! Fat Albert...the Walk on... all of it ..GO NAVY!! (This...from an ex Coastie??!!)

Thanks

Paul

RacerPaul
01-22-2007, 01:03 AM
Hey ForestCam,

i wonder if there are any videos of those marionetation shows around the net...maybe Youtube?

Paul

planekiller
01-22-2007, 08:42 PM
red arrows

Tinman
01-22-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm going with the Blue Angels, I saw them this past summer and they were amazing. Also their C-130 Fat Albert was great watching. I cant believe how fast it gets off the ground using JATO. (Jet assisted Take off)

Also like mentioned before they dont wear G-Suits, I think thats awesome!!

Fly Away Ohm
01-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Sorry guys, but the Red Arrows are the best display team in the world, probably!

My mum used to live close enough to RAF Scampton for us to sit out on a nice day and watch them practice their full routine, for free!

I also know an ex-teacher from Scampton who, when he retired, was offered a flight with them, which is a major honour. He turned them down!

stinkweed007
01-23-2007, 10:05 AM
Well... I have see both and have been shocked and amazed by both...

so my answer is to the planes used...
I'm a hornet fan...
BLUE ANGELS

Tinman
01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
I think the Blues are winning!!!

Mike Freas
01-23-2007, 10:20 PM
Blues...hands down.

3 "kids" who worked for me are on the team and last year I got a front seat ride in Fat Albert during a show. It's one of many things that I will never forget during my Navy time.

Bottom line is both teams work VERY hard and spend more time away from family the regular aviation commands do. For the Blues the season is 10 months long with 36 shows a year. The team spends Dec home the it's off to El Centro for training.

flyboyanderson
01-23-2007, 10:46 PM
My daughter is in the Air Force, but ....

Go Blue Angles!

Come on they fly of a carrier they got to be better.

Mike Freas
01-23-2007, 11:30 PM
While the FA18's the Blues can fly off the boat they don't. I have seen a picture of one on the cat but that was for PR. The birds they get are old and used to the end of their life while there. They are also modified for inverted flight. Most people don't know that all un-modified Naval aircraft are limited time wise for inverted flight for either of two reasons.

1. Engine oil starvation
2. Fuel

The 18 doesn't have the oil problem but the fuel feed tanks (2 and 3) are split in half with the bottom containing the boost pumps that feed the engines. During inverted flight baffles close traping some fuel. After about 10 seconds they have to roll back over (just for a second) to refill the inverted flight baffel.

On the Blues bird they have a special dual sided boost pump that pumps from under the baffel and above at the same time allowing them to fly inverted all the time.

Among other things the birds are "slick" with no weapons stations and minimal systems, radios mostly. The gun is removed and replaced with a oil tank filled with 10/10 oil before each demo. Blues 18's are much lighter then fleet 18's which help during the demo. The pilots that fly are simply studs. They don't wear G suits because the inflation/deflation of the suit could move their hand just enough to affect the formation.

How do I know all this? Well.....Until 2 years ago I was a jet mech on the "baby" FA18A-D and the "Super" FA18E/F. Now I manage that maintenance for a living.

dmmalish
01-23-2007, 11:54 PM
i love them both. i have seen them both in person i agree fat albert is a great site on takeoff using jettison assist but both teams are amazing to watch one or the other come to the battle creek balloon festival every 4th of july weekend can't wait to watch them again.

stinkweed007
01-24-2007, 07:18 AM
While the FA18's the Blues can fly off the boat they don't. I have seen a picture of one on the cat but that was for PR. The birds they get are old and used to the end of their life while there. They are also modified for inverted flight. Most people don't know that all un-modified Naval aircraft are limited time wise for inverted flight for either of two reasons.

1. Engine oil starvation
2. Fuel

The 18 doesn't have the oil problem but the fuel feed tanks (2 and 3) are split in half with the bottom containing the boost pumps that feed the engines. During inverted flight baffles close traping some fuel. After about 10 seconds they have to roll back over (just for a second) to refill the inverted flight baffel.

On the Blues bird they have a special dual sided boost pump that pumps from under the baffel and above at the same time allowing them to fly inverted all the time.

Among other things the birds are "slick" with no weapons stations and minimal systems, radios mostly. The gun is removed and replaced with a oil tank filled with 10/10 oil before each demo. Blues 18's are much lighter then fleet 18's which help during the demo. The pilots that fly are simply studs. They don't wear G suits because the inflation/deflation of the suit could move their hand just enough to affect the formation.

How do I know all this? Well.....Until 2 years ago I was a jet mech on the "baby" FA18A-D and the "Super" FA18E/F. Now I manage that maintenance for a living.

we aint tryin' to fix em Mike....:D

But that is one big hand full of info though!!!

Tinman
01-24-2007, 01:54 PM
Blues...hands down.

3 "kids" who worked for me are on the team and last year I got a front seat ride in Fat Albert during a show. It's one of many things that I will never forget during my Navy time.

Bottom line is both teams work VERY hard and spend more time away from family the regular aviation commands do. For the Blues the season is 10 months long with 36 shows a year. The team spends Dec home the it's off to El Centro for training.

I bet that was pretty fun!

hm3docusn
11-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Show me one Air Force Pilot that can do what a Naval Aviator can do. Land on a pitching deck, in the rain at night, and catch the # 3 wire. AF, you guys are fantastic, USN and USMC is much, much better. Prove me wrong, Land on a bird farm. :-) NOT!

mumblinaviator
11-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Lived in the Blue's home town: Pensacola for almost 2 yrs. Watched them practice daily while I stumbled through OCS and worked my way through API and Primary flight school. I'm a Naval Flight Officer, and will ALWAYS be a Blues Fan.

firemanbill
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
Show me one Air Force Pilot that can do what a Naval Aviator can do. Land on a pitching deck, in the rain at night, and catch the # 3 wire. AF, you guys are fantastic, USN and USMC is much, much better. Prove me wrong, Land on a bird farm. :-) NOT!

Hey Doc, Welcome to WattFlyer. We're all on the same team man.

Different missions, different A/C , and yeah, different pilots. But all of our US pilots are the best in the world, period.:)

pablo27
11-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Mmm haven't seen either of them yet so can't comment, maybe one day. Do their respective routines differ much ?

I've always been amazed by the RAF Red Arrows ability to come up with new displays year after year that leave one breathless, excellent team work and dedication from the guys and girl.

crxmanpat
11-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I've seen both teams perform numerous times over the years, and I think that it's pretty even between the two. If there were a deciding factor, it would have to be Fat Albert (I'm ex-AF, but was a crewmember on an EC-130H, so the Herc holds a special place in my heart, just check out my avatar!).

I missed the crashes of the Mig-29 and Su-27 at the Paris airshows in the late 80's. I also missed the FT crash at Ramstein. I was stationed at Wiesbaden at the time, and I was supposed to be there that day shooting video for a friend of mine, while he took stills with his 35mm. The airshow was on a Saturday, and on Friday I heard the weather was going to be bad. So instead, I stayed up late and partied at the NCO club, and didn't go the next morning.

Turns out the weather was gorgeous. To this day I wonder if I would have been standing in the exact same spot where that one MB-339 came down in the crowd. If I had been taking video as planned, I probably would have been right up there on the line where it hit. Some of my friends stills wound up all over the news (he got some pretty good shots, but was away from the impact zone).

Makes you wonder.

firemanbill
11-09-2009, 07:53 PM
I've seen both teams perform numerous times over the years, and I think that it's pretty even between the two. If there were a deciding factor, it would have to be Fat Albert (I'm ex-AF, but was a crewmember on an EC-130H, so the Herc holds a special place in my heart, just check out my avatar!).

I missed the crashes of the Mig-29 and Su-27 at the Paris airshows in the late 80's. I also missed the FT crash at Ramstein. I was stationed at Wiesbaden at the time, and I was supposed to be there that day shooting video for a friend of mine, while he took stills with his 35mm. The airshow was on a Saturday, and on Friday I heard the weather was going to be bad. So instead, I stayed up late and partied at the NCO club, and didn't go the next morning.

Turns out the weather was gorgeous. To this day I wonder if I would have been standing in the exact same spot where that one MB-339 came down in the crowd. If I had been taking video as planned, I probably would have been right up there on the line where it hit. Some of my friends stills wound up all over the news (he got some pretty good shots, but was away from the impact zone).

Makes you wonder.

Well I'm glad you didn't go Buddy!:)

LSSS
05-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Thunderbirds are okay, but Blue Angels are better. Nice video here of the Blue Angels flying low over the water:
http://www.aviationtrivia.info/Blue-Angels.php