PDA

View Full Version : 9-11-2006

firemanbill
09-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Well as I sit here in my office at the Fire House this morning I can't help but think back to what was happening in our country 5 years ago this morning. About this time life was normal, it was a typical early fall morning and Aerosmith was coming in concert later that evening. My son's fall soccer season was about to begin, school was starting and I was getting ready for my retirement from the Air Force.

Little did I or any of us know that we would soon be facing what we were.

Little did I know that 343 of my brothers were going to die this day, as well as almost 3000 others.

We are having a ceremony here at the station this morning to honor the Fallen Firefighters. I hope you can all find a way to remember today in some special way as well.

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

max2112
09-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Here is a heartfelt thanks to you and all of your brothers in arms. For the heroism and valor displayed 5 yars ago and for the things you go through EVERY day.
I have two older brothers who are firefighters and my war stories are weak compared to the world of &^%@ they have been through in 12+years.

aircruiser
09-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I agree, it seems like it was just yesterday.

TeslaWinger
09-12-2006, 01:58 AM
What would the Founding Fathers think?

What a tragic waste.

Keep yourself and your brothers safe.
TW

firemanbill
09-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Thanks Guys!

What is sad is how fast people forget...

The first year after the attacks we had over 100 people show up for the ceremony, it has gone down each year since. Today we just had a handful of family members come.

RUSH
09-12-2006, 02:52 AM
Thank you for serving your country and community. It is greatly appreciated.

There isn't a great sense of community in a lot of places in the USA anymore, so I'm not surprised by the low turnout. 9/11 helped get that going again, all be it, for a brief time.

Talk about people forgetting: last Memorial Day, I counted only 3 flags (including mine) on my street, and only another handful on my drive to the cemetery (about 5 miles one way). 20 years ago, most houses on my street flew the flag on Memorial Day.

Grasshopper
09-12-2006, 02:56 AM
We fly a flag on our house every day of the year. I was putting out a new one a week before the 4th of July this year and one of the neighbors asked "Why are you putting a flag out?" My response was "Because it's the right thing to do".

firemanbill
09-12-2006, 03:05 AM
Me too Tom... Me too...:D

Good answer as well!:D :D :D

And we get used to the brief moments of favor Rush. After 25 years of up and down support, not only for firefighters but for the military as well just baffles me sometimes...

Grasshopper
09-12-2006, 03:13 AM
I personally have not served in the military but have a deep respect for those who do and have. My Father spent 2 years in Korea and a very close Uncle of mine was a navigator in a B-52 that was shot down December 22, 1972. His body was finally returned home in 1988.

Bill, it also amazes me how soon we forget and how little respect military people get other than in extraordinary times. People should realize it is because of them that we don't have many "Extrordinary Times". We live our lives in freedom taking for granted the sacrifices these men and women and their families make for us.

A few months ago I was in a resturaunt in the Chicago airport and there was a uniformed soldier sitting at the bar. I told the waiter that what ever he ordered, I was paying for and to tell him thank you. Turns out he was returning from Afganistan and turning around to leave for Iraq in 3 weeks. He came over to thank me and I was shocked that he would think "I" was the one that deserved the thanks. It was a privelidge for me to buy his meal.

TeslaWinger
09-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Grasshopper, They are the best. Its a shame 2/3rds of them still believe Iraq did it.

They always said the view from a foxhole is different from the one at, say, the Pentagon. Y'think?

A lot of us grew up under the MAD doctrine, 24/7 hair trigger. Now we await the third curious Pearl Harbor for the next go-round.