PDA

View Full Version : Help with Hacker/Phoenix 25 setup

David_Moen
09-05-2005, 08:31 PM
I'm doing final assy. on my first performance electric and I've run into a snag. I'm re-using a GWS 4 channel Pico RX, I have A Phoenix 25 ESC and a Hacker A20-L. When I plug in the battery the ESC makes a musical noise and the LED on it flashes once. When I stir the sticks, the control surfaces move apropriatley. The motor will not run however.

As per suggestions on other boards I have tried changing the end points to 140% in each direction and I've made sure that the throttle trim is all the way down, my chennel 3 sub-trim is at 0. I've also tried reversing the channel on my TX. I've also re-peaked my batteries to ensure that I'm not below the low-voltage cutt-off. If I try to put the ESC in programming mode (plug in the battery with the throttle all the way up, wait 2 secs for a beep) the ESC does not beep.

Thinking there is something wrong with channel 3 on the RX, I unplugged everything from the RX but the throttle channel, still not action. Finally I plugged my rudder servo into channel 3 and plugged a NiCad pack into the 4/B terminal, my rudder moved with the throttle stick so I know channel 3 on the RX works.

Am I supposed to hear a second chime when the ESC "arms"? Right now I'm only getting a musical tone when I plug in the power.

Finally, I have tried powering up the ESC without the motor plugged in - it does not make any noise, nor does the LED flash, so it seems that it can tell that the motor is plugged in.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to include as much troubleshooting info as possible!

Any help you could prvide would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to electrics and was really hoping to get this airplane in the air this weekend!

Azarr
09-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Pretty much the same people are over here. I can't see anything else you need to try, I did have a few that acted that way and castle replaced them. I'd give them a call in the morning. Sorry, that won't help for this weekend:(

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com (http://www.ecubedrc.com)

Tom Frank
09-13-2005, 04:09 AM
I'm doing final assy. on my first performance electric and I've run into a snag. I'm re-using a GWS 4 channel Pico RX, I have A Phoenix 25 ESC and a Hacker A20-L. When I plug in the battery the ESC makes a musical noise and the LED on it flashes once. When I stir the sticks, the control surfaces move apropriatley. The motor will not run however.

As per suggestions on other boards I have tried changing the end points to 140% in each direction and I've made sure that the throttle trim is all the way down, my chennel 3 sub-trim is at 0. I've also tried reversing the channel on my TX. I've also re-peaked my batteries to ensure that I'm not below the low-voltage cutt-off. If I try to put the ESC in programming mode (plug in the battery with the throttle all the way up, wait 2 secs for a beep) the ESC does not beep.

Thinking there is something wrong with channel 3 on the RX, I unplugged everything from the RX but the throttle channel, still not action. Finally I plugged my rudder servo into channel 3 and plugged a NiCad pack into the 4/B terminal, my rudder moved with the throttle stick so I know channel 3 on the RX works.

Am I supposed to hear a second chime when the ESC "arms"? Right now I'm only getting a musical tone when I plug in the power.

Finally, I have tried powering up the ESC without the motor plugged in - it does not make any noise, nor does the LED flash, so it seems that it can tell that the motor is plugged in.

Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to include as much troubleshooting info as possible!

Any help you could prvide would be greatly appreciated, I'm new to electrics and was really hoping to get this airplane in the air this weekend!It sounds like the ESC is not functioning. You will not hear any sounds with no motor attached since the ESC send pulses to the motor which is where the sounds are generated. I'd try some substitutions to better isolate the problem if you can. First, will the ESC work with a different brushless motor? Can you get access to a different ESC to test that the motor will run? Sounds like the ESC, though... should definitely get more tones generated when it arms.

Spaceclam
09-17-2005, 05:03 AM
deleted