PDA

View Full Version : Dont do this :)

aviatordave
09-13-2006, 05:18 AM
Well here you go, the worlds worst takeoff. I have almost 20 years experience and I still manage to #$%^ things up !! :eek:

2 meg video. play it and laugh with me..or at me.

here it is ----> Worst takeoff ever (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/shaft.wmv)

Dave

* Only a himax gearbox shaft was killed in the making of this video....and some grass....and maybe a couple bugs.....and a worm

Kosh
09-13-2006, 06:18 AM
You almost made it up, Sorry about the worm.:D

Warden
09-13-2006, 11:57 AM
Nice video! Terrible take-off but a nice video.:)

zakstang
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
ya, ive done that a few times...:)

Don E
09-14-2006, 02:01 AM
D'oh!!!

He he he. (With you, not at you.)

I've been there too.

Don

Kosh
09-14-2006, 02:16 AM
After watching that a few times it looks like the little dance that happens more than it should on takeoff. I haven't tried flaps down on takeoff yet but sure think it could take some of the drama out. I have seen this on most hand launches were it gets out of shape just as it gets enough airspeed. Some form of flap might just do the job and I will try it next time I'm out.

Don E
09-14-2006, 02:51 AM
After watching that a few times it looks like the little dance that happens more than it should on takeoff. I haven't tried flaps down on takeoff yet but sure think it could take some of the drama out. I have seen this on most hand launches were it gets out of shape just as it gets enough airspeed. Some form of flap might just do the job and I will try it next time I'm out.

I tried that. And your right. Much more stable. I used them to get a shorter take off run while trying to get out of some taller grass and it worked great! After I get about 50 or so feet of altitude I ease them up. It's a beautiful thing.

Dave, you should really try the flaps.

Don

JediFlyer
09-14-2006, 03:08 AM
DANG...you didnt even hit THAT hard

Kosh
09-14-2006, 03:12 AM
Well done, Thats just how I was thinking of using them. Even a hand toss would become more stable at slower speeds. Glad to know it works on takeoff fine and I'm sure it covers alot less ground.

Randy Due
09-14-2006, 03:33 AM
:D Seems you've come up with a new enviromentally friendly method of pest control. (Crop Propping?) I'm in the pest control business. Need a job?:rolleyes: :D

Randy

P.S. I was laughing with you, not at you. It happens to all of us, sooner or later.

aviatordave
09-14-2006, 04:22 PM
DANG...you didnt even hit THAT hard

Ya..thats the sad part.....it didnt seem that bad. I think it was more of the prop hitting the ground that bent it. With a 6.6:1 turn ratio, that prop gets spun with alot of torque, so the shaft took the brunt of it. This is a classical example of why people dont use a gearbox. I may switch to an outrunner soon

I'm turning a 12 x 8e APC prop. Big prop for the magpie.

I got the motor back together and I ran it wide open, smooth....

<thanks for laughing with me.....Randy>

I'll get some flying in this weekend!

Thanks-

Dave

Quay007
09-14-2006, 06:17 PM
Dave it didnt look so bad. Im assuming from the spin-up it was a plane.
also the $4.99 crash is a dead give away; so Ive answered my own question.

I had a tip like that mith my helicopter, Align Trex. lost the carbon blades at $30.00 fried 2 servos and bent two shafts the main and the flybar.

I walked out of the LHS - $150.00 and 6 hours repair..still tweaking it.

Dont feel too bad.

BTW, Great camera, what kind was it?

aviatordave
09-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Dave it didnt look so bad. Im assuming from the spin-up it was a plane.
also the $4.99 crash is a dead give away; so Ive answered my own question.

I had a tip like that mith my helicopter, Align Trex. lost the carbon blades at $30.00 fried 2 servos and bent two shafts the main and the flybar.

I walked out of the LHS - $150.00 and 6 hours repair..still tweaking it.

Dont feel too bad.

BTW, Great camera, what kind was it?

ouch..I guess I dont have it so bad :o

The camera is a Pentax optio s5z - its a 5 megapixal camera with video capabilities (640 x 480 @ 30 fps) they are getting cheaper...you can prob grab one for less than $150......about the cost of a hobby shop visit :p

It only weighs ~ 4 oz, so you could prob hang it from your Trex. (hint hint)

I have always considered a heli.....the pictures and video they take are very nice.

Dave

Quay007
09-16-2006, 04:31 AM
Good Idea, I never thought to attach a regular camera to my hely (btw a stock Trex can cary 2 - 3 pounds) theyre verry stable, theh learning curve is enormous though.

Ive been looking into mini cams and recievers but a good range cam runs around 250-500.00 thats a bit steep. but i would love to fly from the cockpit and try flying from the video only (kinda like the flight sims we spend so much time on.)