PDA

View Full Version : Need a Paint Scheme for a JU-87 Stuka

Grasshopper
09-15-2006, 05:29 PM
Can anyone direct me to a link or links for paint schemes on the JU-87 Stuka? I just received a Wattage ARF and would like to paint it with the desert or snow scheme. I have found some but they don't say what the colors are and it's hard to determine form the drawings or black and white photos. I would prefer the desert scheme but really like the snow too. I hate the shiney all green monokote that it comes with and the fact that the fuse and wing don't even match.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

Jagzilla
09-16-2006, 12:17 AM
I'm also putting together a Wattage Stuka kit. Hope to maiden it next week. Here's a link for you:

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/b/29/2

J

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 12:28 AM
Thanks Jag,

I've been all over that site and bookmarked several pages. I'd like to see photos of yours when it's done and any comments on the assembly. What motor set up did you use?

Tom

Jagzilla
09-16-2006, 12:48 AM
I'm building mine totally stock to begin with, just to see how it flies on the Himaxx 2812-850 outrunner I've put in it. Its pulling around 9 amps or so with the APC 10x5 prop. I'm a bit worried I'm gonna be underpowered on this setup, so If that doesn't work out, I'll probably put a stick mount in it, and go with a Himaxx 2025-4200 in runner (since I have one on the shelf). I'm hoping to use a 1320 3 cell lipo, but might bump it up to a 1500 Mah. With the small battery, I'm looking at a projected auw of around 22 oz's, the bigger battery will bump it up to 24 oz's. I'm hoping to be able to balance this plane with no additional weight, so my auw theories might get screwed up if I have to start chucking lead in it.
Now if it all flies well, and I figure it can handle an additional bit of weight, I'd like to add some scale touches. I've allready built a bomb to mount underneath in the middle of the wing. I'd like two small bombs on the outer sides of each wing. I'd also like to build a 37 mm "tank buster" cannon to add on. The paint I'd like to change to all blue underneath, and go with some sorta two tone camo on top. I'll keep the stock green monokote, and paint on either lighter/darker green, or grey in the style of Eastern front camo. This is all theory at this point, but this is where my heads at on this model.
I must admit, I love the look of this kit, and am quite excited to get this one up and flying. I've been wanting a Stuka for quite some time, and the price on this kit reeled me in, so to say. I came dangerously close several times to buying the FSK foam Stuka, but now I'm glad I held off on that.
J

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 01:33 AM
I'll be interested to see how your maiden goes and how you like the plane. I'm sure you've read it all too but there seem to be mixed reviews on it. I was like you and really wanted a Stuka and when I saw the Labor Day blow out sale for $49, I had to do it. I just finished a Richmodels Spitfire and I really like the quality of the plane and it flys great. I'm anxious to get it out again but Mother Nature hasn't been cooperating.

I was also looking at the bombs and cannons for the Stuka. Can't wait to see how yours comes out. Keep us posted.

Jagzilla
09-16-2006, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I've ready plenty on the plane. What I'm getting out of it is that it definitely can be prone to the dreaded tip stall at lower speeds. I'm reading everyone saying you have to fly it all the way down on landings. I also have noticed a lot of guys are using bigger batteries with bigger motors, which means more weight and more prone to stalls. Some guys are complaining about torque rolls on takeoff. Personally, I feel most warbirds need to be flown down to the ground on landings, that's just part of the way they fly. Warbirds generally speaking are not "floaters".
I also see issues with the glue coming apart on battery tray, firewall and inside ribs that guys are reporting. I've already had problems with mine is this area, and have added more glue.
I'll add more posts as I make progress on mine. Let me know how yours goes as well. I'm curious as to what you are using for batts/motor etc.
J

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 04:10 AM
Right now I'm planning on using the EMAX 2212 https://st86.startlogic.com/~rcepower/osCommerce1/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=94&osCsid=9d9d631f6c6d6a47f874a949f43045a5 and the ELE 20A ESC and 3S 2100 15C Common Sence lipo.

My Spitfire has to be flown in all the way. It's very solid in the air but has to come in a little hot. I'll make sure and check all the glue joints when I assemble it. thanks for the heads up.

tom

Twmaster
09-16-2006, 04:15 AM
Tom,

Let me know how that eMax motor works out. I got one from Jun and am looking for a plane to put it in.

It seems like it is similar in performance to an SK400XT.

:)

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 04:16 AM
Sure will Mike. I haven't got it yet. He's supposed to get some in within the next few days.

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Tom,

Let me know how that eMax motor works out. I got one from Jun and am looking for a plane to put it in.
It seems like it is similar in performance to an SK400XT.

:)

Wait a minute Mike.........From reading previous posts, you shouldn't have to walk much farther than your closet and have a pretty wide selection of kits to choose from.

Twmaster
09-16-2006, 04:28 AM
The herd is thinning. I am selling off lots of the things I will never build/assemble. I seek new blood!

I got my motor a couple of weeks ago. The vendor I got it from had them for $18 shipped. Looks like a nice motor. Smooth feeling rotation, nice even windings, fairly clean machining too.

Just don't have a bird to put it in as it has a firewall type mount (not stick)

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 04:49 AM
The herd is thinning. I am selling off lots of the things I will never build/assemble. I seek new blood!

I got my motor a couple of weeks ago. The vendor I got it from had them for $18 shipped. Looks like a nice motor. Smooth feeling rotation, nice even windings, fairly clean machining too.

Just don't have a bird to put it in as it has a firewall type mount (not stick)

OK I guess I can try it for you. Go ahead and send it to me and I'll let you know how it works out.

Twmaster
09-16-2006, 04:51 AM
Um. Yea. Right.

Just Paypal $24.99 for postage and handling to....

;)

Sky Sharkster
09-16-2006, 11:25 AM
Hi Tom, I found a few color shots of the "Stuka" that aren't solid green, here's the links ;http://callofduty.filefront.com/screenshots/File/68257/1

Also http://www.rcwarbirds.com/stukapage.htm
These are scale models from "rcWarbirds", some interesting schemes here!
Ron

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 04:42 PM
Thanks a lot Ron. I hadn't seen the first link but I have looked at the second one. Drool....Drool! Man those are some beautiful planes!

Here's a few other sites I've found.

http://www.largescaleplanes.com/Galleries/Pages/Stuka.html
http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/KevinWeiche/Stuka.html
http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/JeffreyBrundt/stuka/stuka.html
http://www.wingsoverelburn.com/Armour%2048/Ju87/Armour_JU87.htm

I really need to start going to bed at a decent hour at night.

Jagzilla
09-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Mines ready to maiden. Decided to see how it flies before I do any paint/scale mods, or put the decals on. AUW turned out with 1320 Mah 3 cell to be 22.35 oz's, and with a 1500 Mah 3 cell to be 23.5 oz's. Both respectable weights in my opinion, but I'll try it first with the 1320 battery.
Don't know when the big event will occur, probably not till thursday when I'm off work. The wind is howling through here everyday from 11:00 am or so on, so I won't be flying after work anytime soon.
J

Grasshopper
09-17-2006, 02:10 AM
Good luck witht he maiden J. Turns out I stripped all the film off the Stuka wing this afternoon. I was trying to sand it down to dull it for paint but it didn't work out. I'll be recovering it and painting. Probably should have done what you did and make sure it flys first. The winds are howling here today as well. We're supposed to have thunderstorms tonight through Sunday night. I haven't got to fly much for almost 2 weeks now.

Jagzilla
09-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Had a break in the weather today, and did the maiden. Went really well! Takeoffs were a non event. No problem ground steering it, it rolled on the grass nicely, and was airborne and tracking nicely in a very short takeoff. Need some down elevator trim, and she flew fine. Very scale like flight with my Himaxx 2812-850. Not very fast, but decent. Loops were fine, but she wont roll. Not enough airspeed maybe? It just seemed to start to fall out on rolls, and since this was maiden day, I didn't want to push my luck with it. I do feel it just needed more airspeed though.
Landings were not what I expected. It floated far more than I thought it would, and I had a bit of trouble getting it down. Ended up porpoising it a bit on my first landing, and managed to get it to tip its nose into the ground. Second landing much better, no problems once I knew what to expect.
Anyway two successful flights today. The plane looks fantastic in the air! I might go with a bit more powerfull motor, I'm still thinking about that.
Now I can go ahead and do some scale type mods to it, such as added camo paint, bombs, the decals etc.

Jag

Don Sims
09-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Great news Jag! It l;ooks great in the air.

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 01:46 AM
Good deal Jag! Glad to hear it went well. Now I'm even more anxious to get mine done. It was also good to hear it lands so well. Make sure and post some pics when you finish it.

Tom

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Well the Stuka is all stripped and sanded. I've ordered some Litespan to recover it and have picked a paint scheme (see pic below). I'm anxious to get this one finished and try it out now.

Jagzilla
09-18-2006, 10:55 PM
That camo scheme will look great!
J

Twizter68
09-21-2006, 04:01 AM
Now just to find a recording of that "Horn of Jericho" siren....

Jagzilla
09-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Here's some pics of my "pretty much" finished Stuka. I added a bomb, machine gun, anti-tank cannon,radio antenna, screen on front of cowl and rear elevator stab braces. Painted the bottom with Testor's Light Blue. Mixed my own grey up over top of the factory green for the camo on top. Added Testor's Dullcoat all over. Still need to make up some squadron insignia decals when I find something suitable. The "red circled Scotty dog" decals that come with the kit are way too big for a scale look. I might just scan them, and resize them and print them off. Still deciding on that one.
The final auw of the plane, with the 1320 3 cell lipo was just a bit over 23 oz's. All my mods and paint etc. added just a bit over 2/3 of an oz, which I found to be very acceptable.
Now just need the wind to drop so I can go fly it again.
J

Grasshopper
09-21-2006, 05:59 PM
Nice job Jag! That really made a big difference in the looks. Glad to hear the paint didn't add much weight. I was a little concerned with that. I think mine will probably weigh out closer to the 28 ounce range since the covering on my wing will be a little heavier and I'll be using the 3S 2100 pack.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Tom

Jagzilla
09-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the compliments Tom. I'm fairly pleased with the way it turned out. This is my first experience with using the Testors Dullcoat, and I sure was happy with that product!
J