View Full Version : "Super Zoom" on floats

donjiskra
09-17-2006, 05:04 PM
Check this out!!!

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/superzoom.htm

Neat video available also.

ClioRc
10-05-2006, 04:38 AM
I've had the Super Zoom since May and have been having a ball flying it off water.

Bill Simpson
11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I have the Super Zoom with floats on order and have been trying to come up with a motor that will fly it well but not break the bank if it gets dunked. The G. P. Rimfire 28-30-95 outrunner looks like it should fly it and the price isn't to bad but I really don't care for the built-in prop saver.
What are all of you lucky enough to find one using for power.

gpbill

ClioRc
11-08-2006, 10:15 PM
I'm running a AXI 2212/26 with a APC 10x4.7SF on mine with floats with no problems.Olin PS i have put the motor in the water in July,still using it in plane today,just dont get the ESC wet.

Bill Simpson
11-08-2006, 11:16 PM
I have a Hacker 20 20L on an Airfoilz Edge that I have been flying most of the summer and the Edge weighs very close to what the Zoom with floats weighs. The Hacker does a fine job on the Edge and should work equally as well on the Zoom I should think. I was just a little worried about dunking a $60 motor. The AXI is even some what more $$ than the Hacker. Guess I'm looking for something cheap and reliable. Could be those two words don't go well together.
How are you keeping the ESC dry?

gpbill

vax6335
11-08-2006, 11:27 PM
If you have a brushless motor, don't worry about dunking it. Heck, most brushless motors can be run underwater. It's the ESC and reciever you need to keep dry. Some people put them in balloons and tie off the end.

donjiskra
11-08-2006, 11:50 PM
Bill,
"Corrosion-X" when sprayed on all your components will totally waterproof.
I've sprayed the ESC, Receiver, Servp's, connectors......everything, and can verify it works as I've submerged my 2 planes several times and no problems encountered.
You can order it online. Just do a google on "Corrosion-X".
It also lubricates and frees up push rods.
Happy Float Flying!!!
Don

ClioRc
11-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Bill i keep my ESC up above the wing and have not had a problem with it,i have mine right below the little guy in the cockpit.If you like that A20 there are many clones of it out there.Olin

Bill Simpson
11-09-2006, 03:36 AM
Thanks for all the info guys, but I have another question. What are you using for a battery? The Hobby-Lobby web page shows an 800mAh Lipo. Thats sure to keep the weight down but not much of a gas tank.

gpbill

ClioRc
11-09-2006, 03:47 AM
i'm using both a 800 P.Q. and 1320 T.P. in mine with the AXI 221226 i get 8 min. with the 800 and well over 10 with the 1320,i do 3D so WOT is not happening much for the times i'm getting.Olin

GCFlyer
02-08-2007, 01:04 AM
I am getting more comfortable with my super zoom on floats. Its the first electric plane I have built (used to play with a sig 4 star 40) and it came out a bit tail heavy. Thus I have a very wet plane from the wing back after the first landing. I wasn't happy with the first set of hacker floats I built, so I got another set, building them so that they are a bit further back to keep the tail out of the water. The 'plan' is to fly this plane to death, probably build another, fly it to death and then try the E-flite 25 J 3 cub on floats. Good luck to all. Chris

NightFlyer
05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
I happen to be a fan of super zooms also.

Bill Simpson
05-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Well it's been some time since I have posted so thought I would give a bit of an up date. I ended up using a Hacker 2020L for a motor and use either a 1200 or 1500 mAh lipo. They both work fine and the weight of the heaver 1500 is hardly noticeable. I never did do any thing to protect the electronics other than mount everything that I could above the wing.
I too have found that mounting the floats as directed seems to be a little to far forward and the tail gets a little damp and with each landing. Beads of water accumulate making the tail even heaver until it is necessary to bring her in and towel the water off. It is a sweet little plane though, easily repaired and great fun to fly with or without the floats :). For those who are a little nervous about landing on water as I was, it's really not an issue. I've straightened the gear wire many times landing on land but have never had to do it with the floats on. Water is much more forgiving :D.

Bill