PDA

View Full Version : AK models P40 Warhawk ARF

elenasgrumpy
09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
Hello, I've just ordered this P40 from AK Models & am wondering if anyone has any info on these ARFs from AK. I know the P40 is listed as a new model but they have some others that have already been out for a while, like a couple of Spitfires & P51s, & a Zero. They're not very expensive yet they are built-up & covered models, not foam so I was wanting to know any info or opinions you might have from experience with any of these AK Warbird ARFs. Thank you.

http://ak-models.com/electric_p40.htm

There's the link to the Warhawk I ordered from them. if you want to you can scroll thru the 11 page assembly manual from there too. Thanks again for any info or advice you might have.

Grasshopper
09-17-2006, 09:42 PM
Hi elenasgrumpy,

I just finished the Spitfire a couple of weeks ago. I thought the quality was very good. The plane went together very easily. The instructions were sketchy at best but if you've built a few planes, you can figure it out.

The Spit flys GREAT! Very solid in the air and took off on the maiden perfectly with no trim needed. It does come in a little on the hot side and you have to fly it all the way in. Not a floater. I would imagine the P-40 would be similar. I've also ordered the P-38 and am impatiently awaiting the arrival. I've attached a pic of the Spit.

Tom

elenasgrumpy
09-18-2006, 12:14 AM
Very nice looking bird! I'm glad to hear that it went together well & that you were pleased with the quality of the ARF. I have downloaded & read thru the assembly manual several times & find them to be about like most so don't anticipate any problems there. I've done enough ARFs now that the manual is just used as referrence pics for the most part. I'm glad to hear it flys so well too! The P-40 is clearly set up to use an inrunner & a gearbox, but I will be doing something a little different with an E-Flite Park 450 Outrunner. I have already desinged the modifications to the motor-mount to accept the outrunner in my head & on paper. It should work out just fine, ceratinly won't be any lack of power issues! hope you get your P-38 soon, BTW how long did it take to get your Spit shipped? I ordered my P-40 Saturday afternoon so I'm hoping it will get sent out on Monday morning. Keep me posted on your P-38 & thanks for posting the pick of Spitfire.

jeffb
10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
hey grumpy, how did this turn out? I've got the same plane and am working on it currently. did you go with the rec. setup, or hop it up at all? I've got plans to hop mine up,but am not sure if it's feasible or if the stuff I've got is too much weight-does this model fly stable? thanks, jeffb

Nobert
10-18-2006, 11:50 PM
Grumpy and Jeff,
I have the VQ P-40 as well. I'm installing the HiMax HC5018-530 running a Vario 3 blade on 5S1P MaxSmps pack. I'll be installing a sound system as well. AUW should be 8.25lbs.
Neal

jeffb
10-19-2006, 07:20 AM
neal, i'm new to all this and don't really know what you mean by a sound system. also not sure what auw means but the flying weight on the box for my plane is 16oz-are we talking about the same plane?- jeff

Nobert
10-19-2006, 10:46 PM
Jeff
Sorry. I thought you and Grumbt were discussing the VQ P-40 shown here:http://www.vqwarbirds.com/products/aircraft/p40.html.
The sound system is shown here:http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=573
Neal

jeffb
10-20-2006, 04:17 AM
neal, no need to be sorry- hey thats a great looking kit-i've got a lot to learn about this hobby- i didn't know about sound for these types of planes- what a great idea! as you can tell i'm the new guy, so i'm trying to pick up all that i can- got a slow stick on the way to train with, but really want to fly warbird type planes- like the looks of the real thing! maybe you can help w/ a prop question, the motor i've got calls for a 10x5 2 blade, but i want a 3 blade prop, was on master airscrew's web site and they say to reduce the diameter and keep the pitch the same, or add a little,but they don't say how much to decrease-any way to know for sure,or trial and error? thanks, jeffb

Nobert
10-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Jeff
I pretty much follow the MA suggestions. I'd use a 8x6 or 9x7 prop. Also I've had great success with the Graupner 3 blade props from Hobby Lobby.What motor are you using? I'll plug it into Motocalc and give you a more knowlegdable answer.
Hope this helps,
Neal

jeffb
10-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Neal,
I'm getting an e-flite 10 bl, but since I ordered it, I found out its much bigger than I needed- it's for my p40,but the flying weight is only 16oz-I guess I'll keep it and buy a bigger plane as I've also got an esc coming for it- I wanted to hop it up a bit, but didn't realize that this was too much- any idea what kind of batteries i should use or do I need to know what plane it'll be in?I'm going with lipo, but am not sure how to size them correctly-I don't really understand the c rating or know what to look for to get the best performance for a particular set up.thanks for the prop info-I appreciate any help I can get!!
Jeff

FordGT145
10-21-2006, 02:39 AM
Go to page 5 of the Glo to Electric conversion and look for Gsp P-40 by RCJake for some good info. Also try RCGroups.com and do a search for P-40 on there. You'll find alot of info and even some builds tips.

jeffb
10-21-2006, 08:30 AM
thanks,but its clearly not the same size plane. I'm new to this site, but perhaps I should do something different. I'm not sure if I should start a new thread or if I should give up, thanks jeff

K CLOSE
10-24-2006, 03:50 PM
I have the "Q" P-51 ( rare E-Bay bargain $35 ) and the P-38. Both are 11.1 brushless belly-landers and are outstanding performers. I think you'll have the same luck with the P-40. If you have ever built a traditional "stick and tissue" model then you'll find they repair well too. My P-38 suffered a VBC (very bad crash ) on its second flight - motor mount failure on one of the BP-21's - my fault. And although it's not perfect now, what I thought was going to be a write-off repaired really well. A testament to AK's build quality. Once she's done post your results.

Grasshopper
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey K CLOSE,

I don't want to get this thread off on a tangent, but what was the set up on your P-38? Isn't it the same plane as the Nitro Models 52"? I have two of them due to arrive within the next week or so and was thinking about putting 2 BP-21s on them and make them belly floppers. Did you like the performance?

K CLOSE
10-30-2006, 02:16 AM
Grasshopper,
Sorry about the delay...Yes, I am quite pleased. Keep in mind I'm not a 3D guy but she climbs out with authority. At the time I built mine (also a Nitro Models 52") it was the cheapest way into a non-profile P-38. Glacier Girl did a great build/fly post on their 52". My set up was under $100 for the motors/speed controls/and 2 X 2200 mAH batts. Good thing too as I tend to punch planes in on an alarmingly regular basis. Give it a shot- if it's not zippy enough for you, you can always upgrade later. ( and put the 21's in a GWS bird and be able to tear its wings off).
Cheers.
P.S. Just read your Spit crash thread---sorry that sucks, I just wrecked my XJR due to "dumb foot" if that makes you feel any better. If you have not trashed that lipo yet ----Don't trash the whole thing. Grab the undamaged cells first! You can buy a loose cell or at least use it in a 7.4V plane.

Twmaster
08-18-2007, 04:23 AM
I realize this is an old thread, but old threads never -really- die. Do they? ;)

I bought one of these AK (Richmodels) P-40-380 kits. While the workmanship is surprisingly decent I am quite dissatisfied with the appearance. Doesn't look much like a Warhawk to me.

:(

Grasshopper
08-18-2007, 04:43 AM
I thought the same thing from the photos Mike. I was hoping it was just bad photography but I guess not. I thought it kind of looked like a Piper Cherokee with teeth. I'll bet it flys nice though. I've bought a lot of their kits and every one of them fly nice.