PDA

View Full Version : setting trim switch on throttle when setting up ESC

Eggvoel
09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
I just read somewhere about setting the trim switch for the throttle all the way up when setting up the throttle adjustment for the ESC. I had set up my ESC's with it all the way down and seemed to work, but I am new and didn't have anything to compare it to. After reading the hint, I tried it and am not sure if I gained anything. Has anyone measured this to see if you gain any RPM? The one advantage I see to this is that after I land I slide the trim switch all the way down so if I happen to hit the throttle while walking over to the airplane it may keep it from spinning. Trim switch all the way up is now part of the preflight. Larry

EpoweredRc
09-06-2005, 08:18 PM
I just read somewhere about setting the trim switch for the throttle all the way up when setting up the throttle adjustment for the ESC. I had set up my ESC's with it all the way down and seemed to work, but I am new and didn't have anything to compare it to. After reading the hint, I tried it and am not sure if I gained anything. Has anyone measured this to see if you gain any RPM? The one advantage I see to this is that after I land I slide the trim switch all the way down so if I happen to hit the throttle while walking over to the airplane it may keep it from spinning. Trim switch all the way up is now part of the preflight. Larry

I have never heard this before,that is a good safty thing with the trim like that,I wouldnt think it would change anything I fly Castle creations Esc's and well they have a red light that lights up when you go to FT and it works with mine set up with trim down.Dont have no idea where you read that But this is the first I have heard.as long as it works like that I wouldnt worry about it.Maybe someone will let us know.

Chris

atjurhs
09-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I have set it both ways, and what I've found is that by setting the throttle trim all the way frwd when setting up my radio (Tx) "Fail Safe" mode, I have more of a "negative signal" to send the Rx/ESC when I want to "fully shut" off the throttle. That is to say if I set the throttle trim in the mid or fully back postion when setting things up, I have found that there may still be some residual signal that the Rx/ESC gets when I throttle back with the gimbal, so the prop/motor may still have a bit of spin. But this does not happen if I set things up with the trim in the fully frwd setting.

Hope this helps....

Eggvoel
09-07-2005, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the responses on the throttle trim. I think I read about it in the most recent Backyard Flyer on a model review. I'll take a look when I get home tonight. Larry

Eggvoel
09-08-2005, 10:02 PM
The article was in Nov. Backyard Flyer: Pilot Report-Kyosho P-51D Mustang. I've reread it a couple of times now and I'm pretty sure that is what it is all about: less signal when throttled all the way back on the gimbel.
Would be curious if someone had an RPM meter and tried it both ways to see if there is any actual gain. Thanks. Larry