PDA

View Full Version : Meter preferences

JWN
09-06-2005, 05:45 PM
After a grand total of ONE electric flight under my belt, I have the burning desire to know what in the world is going on between the battery, ESC and motor. Because of that, I'm in the market for a power meter. The two I'm considering are the Astro Flight Super Wattmeter and the RC Electronics Watts Up meter. The Astro unit has pretty much become the standard and has a very good track record. But, the RC Electronics unit has a bit more top end capability and costs about $10.00 more.

Does anyone have first hand experience with both meters who can make a recommendation?

Mike Parsons
09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
I have the Astro wattmeter and it is very handy. However if I buy another (and to add one for you to think about), I will pick up the Hyperion Meter from aircraft world http://aircraft-world.com/shopexd.asp?id=2857. There is a video on the page as well that details the functionality of the meter.

-Mike

Joacim
09-06-2005, 07:20 PM
Im using the wattmeter, and its great, works very well and are small/light, i can take it up in the plane and make some readings, been using it from smal setups 2s 50w to 14s 3300watts.

Mike Parsons
09-06-2005, 09:01 PM
Im using the wattmeter, and its great, works very well and are small/light, i can take it up in the plane and make some readings, been using it from smal setups 2s 50w to 14s 3300watts.
How do you record those readings from the wattmeter Joacim?

-Mike

JWN
09-06-2005, 09:28 PM
I forgot about the Hyperion unit. I looked at it, even watched the video. It looks like a great item, but I think it's more than what I need, or want to spend. I'm cheap and have even been looking at the Astro meter without plugs because I can buy and install a pair of Deans Ultra's for less than they charge :)

Joacim
09-06-2005, 09:55 PM
it saves Amp, Volt, mAh on the display.

Dr Kiwi
09-07-2005, 03:22 AM
The Medusa Analyzer Pro is another excellent choice.

http://www.medusaproducts.com/Other/Power-Analyzers/pa-60100pro.HTM

JWN
09-07-2005, 05:57 AM
Got a URL for that one?

ChuckB
09-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Has anyone seen the new Wattage D.C.M. meter from HobbyPeople yet? They had them on sale last week for $39.00. I checked the specs on them against the Astro meter and they seem to be identical.
ChuckB

JWN
09-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Can you plug in a second battery to test single cells as you can with the Astro or RCE units?

ChuckB
09-08-2005, 03:51 PM
JWN,
The specs do not say anything about a second battery that can be plugged in. It does says that the minimum input voltage is 3 volts and the max is 60 volts. It will handle up to 99 amps and a Watt-Range of 0.0 to 6000 watts.
Chuck B.

olmod
09-10-2005, 04:13 AM
If you can go the extra yard :rolleyes: the E meter rules ;) there is that much software that goes along with it now that you can download,, it really is the bees knees, not only do you get amps and volts and rpm ,you can even install it in an aircraft to monitor in flight i believe,you can also hook it up to you computer via usb,download your stored data,
and one of the guys "badcocker" has designed an interface so you use your computer or Emeter can take the place of your transmitter for bench testing,also you can download into the Emeter most prop data so you get your thrust as well.:D A true portable hand held pro tool IMHO.

JWN
09-12-2005, 06:42 AM
I decided to go with the R/C Electronics meter. Should be here by the end of the week.

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
09-17-2005, 05:07 PM
I have the same question, joacin, how did you record the readings from the Super Wattmeter in the air? You say it can save the readings? I don't understand!

Heidelberg Germany Flyer

Joacim
09-17-2005, 08:21 PM
It saves the maximum readings on the display.

Rugar
09-17-2005, 09:23 PM

Then you must be using something differant then a AstroFlight Super Wattmeter.

Gerald

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
09-17-2005, 09:31 PM
How do you get it to save the maximum settings?

soarr
09-17-2005, 11:14 PM
I think I have the same type of meter. It records the maximum amps and the maximum watts during use. If you don't disconnect it from the battery, the readings will remain on the meter's screen. Just take a look at the readings after you land but before you disconnect it. Does that make sense?

Mike

Heidelberg Germany Flyer
09-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Folks,

Are we talking about using a Super Whatt Meter (Model 101) from Astroflight?

I can only get instant readings that automatically adjust and change with the use of the throttle. When I reduce the throttle, the readings also reduce.

So, when you land, the display reading will only read the current data with the throttle off.

Have you found out a way to use the Super Whatt Meter to save the peak readings on the display after a flight? If so that would be great!

mikenlapaz
09-19-2005, 07:25 AM
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=468

This may answer some questions on the Watt's Up meter. Own one and it measure as well as my Fluke meter.

Mark In Aus
09-19-2005, 10:26 AM
If you can go the extra yard :rolleyes: the E meter rules ;) there is that much software that goes along with it now that you can download,, it really is the bees knees, not only do you get amps and volts and rpm ,you can even install it in an aircraft to monitor in flight i believe,you can also hook it up to you computer via usb,download your stored data,
and one of the guys "badcocker" has designed an interface so you use your computer or Emeter can take the place of your transmitter for bench testing,also you can download into the Emeter most prop data so you get your thrust as well.:D A true portable hand held pro tool IMHO.

I have to Agree...don't know where i would be without this little Gem.
The most awesome thing about this Meter is that you can update the firmware and get more features as added to the ever increasing feature list. Don't know of any other meter that has this kind of support.

JWN
09-19-2005, 02:26 PM
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=468

This may answer some questions on the Watt's Up meter. Own one and it measure as well as my Fluke meter.

This is what I ended up going with. I haven't had a chance to put it to use other than attach plugs a battery just to make sure it works.

I went with the blue one.

Duster52
10-07-2005, 12:08 PM

You don't have the Astro Flight meter. It is a different one. I have the Astro Flight Super watt meter and it will not save the data on the screen.