PDA

View Full Version : P-38 set up questions????

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 05:24 PM
I've finally been notified my Richmodels P-38 will be shipping next week and now the questions begin.

Here's a link to the plane for reference:
http://www.avia-richmodel.com/english/Products_View.asp?ID=454

I would like to install retracts in this but have never done it before. I don't want the expense of an air retract system but would like something that can take off and land on short grass or pavement. I would like some suggestions as to types, brands and sizes along with any pros and cons to using retracts.

There are a couple of threads on this plane already, but I didn't find a lot of info on the types of retracts used.

Thanks for your help.

Tom

PS, I didn't buy the entire system as shown in the link. I got the plane only.

Glacier Girl
09-18-2006, 09:04 PM
Tom even though the air system is more money, think about it this way too. 2 servos required, 1 steering and 1 retract. Standard retract system 4 servos required, 1 steering, 1 for each retract. Will have to make room for each retract servo, run harnesses and plug them into the rx. Will the esc handle the 3 servo load along with any other servo that might be in use at the same time? Will need to make up control rods to actuate the the retracts and adjust each servo's travel range so it doesn't bind up/down. Which means some serious playing around with settings.
Sometimes cheaper at first glance, doesn't always mean cheaper.;)

I know I saw an ad on RCU for electric operated retracts too. Not sure of size and such, I'll see what I can find on it.
Brad

Grasshopper
09-18-2006, 09:27 PM
Hi Brad,

Funny, I was just reading your PM from a while back on this plane and the power set up. I'm really torn whether or not to put retracts on it at all. On one hand, I think a plane like this deserves to look right in the air and not have the gear hanging down.

On the other hand, I thought about just making it a belly flopper since I'm normally flying off grass anyway. This would save a lot of work, cost, and weight. The problem with that is that I think it would look fantastic on takeoffs and landings with gear.

These big decisions all day really get to me. I mean they start right when I get up. Do I watch Gilligan's Island or the Munsters. I don't know!

Glacier Girl
09-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Mary Ann or Ginger, Lilly or Marilyn?

Grasshopper
09-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Without a doubt, Mary Ann!

Glacier Girl
09-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Yea baby. I like farm girls.

Ok seriously, well somewhat, heres the link to the electric landing gear.
http://www.lado-tech.com/

Grasshopper
09-19-2006, 02:34 PM
Those are way cool! I like the realistic motion. Unfortunately, I don't want to sink $400 in retracts on a $90 ARF. This is starting to look more like fixed or flopper.

But back to Mary Ann............