PDA

View Full Version : Scales

Bunky
09-06-2005, 09:40 PM
I have done a lot of research on the Internet and in publications and have noticed that the weight of an electric plane and/or its components is very important. I have yet to see or hear about what kinds of scales are being used to weigh such items. If this sounds like a stupid question please forgive me but I am a "newbie" Thanks for your patience, Bunky

Commander_Drake
09-06-2005, 09:58 PM
For small components I use a small electronic scale that I bought at the WRAM show. I keep it at home because I don't want to be mistaken for a drug dealer. For large planes I use my bathroom scale which is reads in 0.2 lb increments. I cary the plane and subtract my weight.

I don't have anything for the in between weights yet.

Nitro Blast
09-07-2005, 12:19 AM
I have a digital fishing gauge that I use for airplanes. I can simply hang the plane from the tailwheel, or prop and know within .00 how much it is.

For light stuff, I have a digital postal scale. I have been wanting a drug-dealer scale for some time, but cant seem to get one at a place I'd feel good about walking into!

Hmm.. maybe Ebay.....

ragbag
09-07-2005, 03:54 AM
The site marke is for the Office Depot. The postal scale listed does all that I want for the time being. They had it on sale lasty week for $25.00, don't have a use for two though.
I did pick mine up localy, just used the net to show you the info and where to look at the product.
George

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=752861&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=postal+scale&x=35&y=11&An=text

1-800-GO-DEPOT

Pelouze® 5 Lb LCD Postal Scale
View all Postal Scales

Item# List Price Our Price Units Quantity
752861 $54.00 $33.19 each In Stock

This 5-lb/2.2-kg-capacity scale can weigh in 0.1-oz./1-gram increments. It features a tare/zero-adjustment knob and low-battery warning. Requires a 9-volt battery (not included). Auto off when not in use. Scale dimensions: 11" x 7 3/4" x 2 1/2", Platform dimensions: 6" diameter.

Item # 752861
Manufacturer #
weight capacity 5 lb
tare adjustment no
postal chart included no
automatic shut-off yes
color Gray
brand name Pelouze
manufacturer Pelouze

rekitter
09-07-2005, 11:45 PM
You guys want scales that weigh small amounts of stuff without being branded a drug dealer????

NO SWEAT!!!!

Go to a gun store/sporting goods store and buy a gunpowder scale. Several brands and models to choose from and all perfectly legal to own and use.

Check for brands like RCBS, Redding, Lee, Hornady and others. All will measure within one tenth of a grain. 437.5 grains is one ounce.

I personaly have an RCBS model 505 and it works swell.

flashover
09-25-2005, 05:05 AM
I bought a small hand held postal scale that will weigh from 1-100 grams ( up to about 4 oz) for less than $2 at office max!

Twmaster
09-25-2005, 05:58 AM
I have three scales. One is a tiny 100 gram job I bought on Feebay, the second is a Pitney Bowes postal scale that has increments of 1/100th ounce and the third is a hanging scale I recently bought on Feebay to measure thrust. All are digital and were reasonably priced.

For the larger scales like my postal scale there are many decent and cheap ones available at wally world.

watt_the?!
09-25-2005, 07:48 AM
keep in mind when you buy your scale that you may want to measure things like thrust one day, its as simple as directing the airflow onto the scale itself, or rigging up some kind of fulcrum assy.

tiredboot
04-29-2006, 02:33 AM
I retuned my 2nd postal scale to China-Mart today. Neither worked(yes I put in a battery.) Thanks Ragtag, the office depot's scale seeems to be about right for parkflyers, including thrust measurments.