PDA

View Full Version : LiPo luck

rahtware
09-07-2005, 12:54 AM
First let me say that I think I am coming down with something...

I say that because today I hooked up a LiPo BACKWARDS to a new ESC and produced smoke... In the ESC, not the LiPo. I have changed all of my plugs to the Deans mini directional, but was a bit distracted when I soldered/hooked the new ESC up.

Props spinning, smoke and a loud POP sound was the result. I unhooked, but not until the garage was fill with the smell of burning electronics. Next came the pleads to a higher power... Oh God, let it just be the ESC and I will go to church for a month... The battery was hot so I let it cool down (in a metal pot out in the driveway). After about 15 minutes I hooked everything back up and... miracle, everything seems fine.

Will do a lot of "ground" flying with these components before trusting them in a plane. The involved parts were:

JR 610M RX
GWS 480li ESC
KoKam 340X3C LiPo

Matt Kirsch
09-07-2005, 05:10 PM
I wouldn't trust the ESC if it popped and smoked. Replace it. It may seem like it works now, but that will be short-lived...

rahtware
09-08-2005, 04:56 AM
I agree, but I think I might put together a "throw-away" plane just to check the reliability of these parts.

I set up a test stand with an old Radio Shack 12vdc motor driving a Cox prop. Everything functioned OK, the ESC shut down power to the motor at 8.1vdc (right-on for a three cell LiPo pack). After 30 min I hooked the Kokam up to my Triton. It only took 285ma, but the voltage was 12.39 the same as it reached before the "accident". As for the RX, it's an overpriced (and overweight) JR "micro" unit that I have already replaced with a cheaper and lighter Hitec unit.

In all this was an inexpensive lesson considering the cars and garages that have gone up due to the same kind of mistakes.

I can only attribute my luck to the quality of the Kokams... I am now a believer in the reliability of the Kokam line of LiPos.

ragbag
09-08-2005, 08:28 AM
OOPS!!!!

Been there done that.

I wasn't that lucky, lost three Kokam 1500 cells. The Castle Creations believe it or not they covered under warranty. I don't need the money bad enough to tell tall tales, so I called and asked if it could be repaired. The answer is no, but will be replace at half price!!!!

My mistake? Yep!! Still replaced it.

Back to your set up.

Anything that I have a doubt about it becomes bench tools/material.

I have batteries, servos, controlers that I use to set up new aircraft. Then install the new equipment after everything is set and ready for the real thing.

Lost an $50 Apache 1215 to drill shavings, replaced at half price, back then that was a good deal but they are only $26.00 now.

I have a lot of bench tools/material.:o

George

debhicks
09-08-2005, 11:58 AM
First let me say that I think I am coming down with something...

I say that because today I hooked up a LiPo BACKWARDS to a new ESC and produced smoke... In the ESC, not the LiPo. I have changed all of my plugs to the Deans mini directional, but was a bit distracted when I soldered/hooked the new ESC up.

Props spinning, smoke and a loud POP sound was the result. I unhooked, but not until the garage was fill with the smell of burning electronics. Next came the pleads to a higher power... Oh God, let it just be the ESC and I will go to church for a month... The battery was hot so I let it cool down (in a metal pot out in the driveway). After about 15 minutes I hooked everything back up and... miracle, everything seems fine.

Will do a lot of "ground" flying with these components before trusting them in a plane. The involved parts were:

JR 610M RX
GWS 480li ESC
KoKam 340X3C LiPo

I have to ask............................My Son, are you going to hold to your promise? .............................................You never mentioned. Perhaps you should keep in on the ground until..............:)

rahtware
09-08-2005, 02:13 PM
I have to ask............................My Son, are you going to hold to your promise? .............................................You never mentioned. Perhaps you should keep in on the ground until..............:)
Brings to mind the scene in the movie "The End" when Burt Reynolds decides to end it all by swimming out into the ocean until he tires and then drowns... About a 1/4 mile out, tired and starting to sink, he decides that he really wants to live. So, he makes a pact with God that if he makes it out of this alive he will give all of his possessions to the needy and dedicate his life to God. As he swims closer to shore his part of the bargain becomes smaller and smaller until he gets to the beach where he decides that the needy, and God, really don't need anything that he has...

Being a whole lot more superstitious then Burt, I will do my best to keep up my side of the bargain before I attempt to put that equipment into the air!!!.:D

debhicks
09-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Good for you:) Remember Burt wears a hat for a reason:)