PDA

View Full Version : T-REX purchase

Adrian
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
After flying my little Honey Bee FP For the last 7months- Im Sooooo bored with it! Also for the last 3 months have been mainly on FMS flight sim. I'm taking the plunge & have decided on a T-REX. Here in the U.K. I've found a shop doing a deal on an XL complete with HI-tec servos, Align brushless motor, SC, gyro, LI-PO, receiver & HI-TEC TX. (UK£450.00)
Q. Are HI-TEC servos, Align gyro/RX & HI-TEC TX any good?
was originally thinking of Futaba servos, TX(the new 7)/RX combo, But still not sure about which gyro, but am looking at CSM SL420e as an option.
(All of which will cost me more!)
Need quick reply as Im gagging for 3D action!

Adrian
09-27-2006, 09:28 AM
Bought T-REX after consulting the local heli guru's, a top of the range everthing 3mth old SE. (seller buying a 600) Just waiting for my Futaba 9 in the post. Should be airbourne by the weekend.
been playing on a new flight sim which is coming up for release v soon. it's v realistic, many of us at local flight site had a go, much like Reflex XTR, but cheaper.(retail UK approx £80)
unsure of how many sites & models it will contain as I only try'ed the helis, but will be upgradable thru the net. At the moment its called Pegasus

raynet11
09-27-2006, 03:28 PM
After flying my little Honey Bee FP For the last 7months- Im Sooooo bored with it! Also for the last 3 months have been mainly on FMS flight sim. I'm taking the plunge & have decided on a T-REX. Here in the U.K. I've found a shop doing a deal on an XL complete with HI-tec servos, Align brushless motor, SC, gyro, LI-PO, receiver & HI-TEC TX. (UK£450.00)
Q. Are HI-TEC servos, Align gyro/RX & HI-TEC TX any good?
was originally thinking of Futaba servos, TX(the new 7)/RX combo, But still not sure about which gyro, but am looking at CSM SL420e as an option.
(All of which will cost me more!)
Need quick reply as Im gagging for 3D action!

The align HH will certainly be a big improvement over the little rate gyro in the FP, you will spend your first few weeks learning not to fly the tail and to just let the gyro do it's job. When you can pickup a GY401, the differance is like night and day , it locks the tail like a vice and even when the wind kicks up it self corrects. I have read mixed reviews on the servo's it will get you buy but like the gyro eventually you will want to ditch the align servo's for some HS-56's . If your like me you start out with the basics (since the build is so much money to begin with) and then upgrade as you go , or crash , or which ever comes first. :)

Adrian
09-27-2006, 08:03 PM
Was talking to our flying "Guru" on what to buy at flying dome & he said "save yourself money by buying the best, because I'd only end up spending twice upgrading the various bits. 20mins later I bought a 3mth old 450SE. ( Picture this-man puts model on floor with FOR SALE sign, Guru's head nod's in its direction-sold!!!) Pro power LI-PO & Align charger & all Futaba electrics,GY401 gyro, PCM 1024 rx & servos. Just ordered a Futaba FF9, I should be in the air with it by the weekend. The local heli/electric guru is going to help me set it up with the new TX. Still got a few £'s left in the kitty for a few spare's also.

raynet11
09-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Was talking to our flying "Guru" on what to buy at flying dome & he said "save yourself money by buying the best, because I'd only end up spending twice upgrading the various bits. 20mins later I bought a 3mth old 450SE. ( Picture this-man puts model on floor with FOR SALE sign, Guru's head nod's in its direction-sold!!!) Pro power LI-PO & Align charger & all Futaba electrics,GY401 gyro, PCM 1024 rx & servos. Just ordered a Futaba FF9, I should be in the air with it by the weekend. The local heli/electric guru is going to help me set it up with the new TX. Still got a few £'s left in the kitty for a few spare's also.

Not sure what it is but I see a lot of people unloading thier SE's for some reason, nice find. Get ready for the increase in cyclic and climbout response , they all hover pretty much the same but once you get buzzin around it's truly a wakeup call on how quick these helis are (I'm guessing FF up to 60MPH)

Nice job.. :)

leapfrog
09-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Nice... I *love* my Rex450SE... great find. Prepare for the next level. *big grin*

Adrian
10-01-2006, 07:01 PM
Ordered my Futaba FF9 on Wed nite via E-mail. Next day delivery. Needless to say, no sign of it,(DHL-SUCK!) should have delivered somtime Friday(allowing Thurs as package/dispatch), still not here Sat aft. Now wont get it until Mon, Sick as a parrott:( Was hoping to have it set up for a session Mon nite at the local sports dome. Will have to go with my little HB instead. Will have to hire the local village hall to get it set up right, local heli guru will help me out. (T-REX/FF9 owner & brace of indoor shockie type things) I suppose the good thing is that my bank account will be intact for another wk before "essential repairs" dent the balance:cool:

Adrian
10-05-2006, 11:46 AM
Finaly got my Futaba FF9 5 days after despatch, what a beast, more buttons than Cape Com:eek: Went to the Guru's home Tue's nite & he set the whole thing up for me, his fingers zippin round the box like a magician, still not sure about all that he's done, but I learned all about "expo". Got a few bit's-n-bob's on order, once I've stripped & sorted out a "stiction" in the head (previous owner a bit too liberal with thread lock!) I should get a test flight out of it, & I hope to fly it next Mon at the dome. Already thinking about my 1st upgrade to my SE. Brushless tail motor, Four guy's (out of approx 12) at our club already have them fitted. no belt drive to worry about:D

Adrian
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
Found out the "stiction" in the head was not threadlock related, but (after stripping & rebuilding the head 3 times) Go's a bit like this- the fly bar is held by 2 chrome screws, which locks the fly bar, but allow full "free movment" (I.E. when fly bar is pushed up & down it should do so freely) on mine the alloy head a chrome screw's were actually touching, therefore causing the stiction, once the clearances had been increased (V fine grain sandpaper gently rolled around the anodised seating, stiction gone!

Reflex
10-21-2006, 01:56 AM
Hey. Adrian, did you or Dave pick up my red pliers today ? ;)
looked everywhere can't find them :(

Paul

Adrian
10-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah, sorry paul. I've sent a email via hotmail

OneFinalDarkness
10-25-2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Adrian ... Just a question please about a comment you made earlier in this thread.

You say you are going to 'Upgrade' to a brushless motor for the tail on your SE because of 'Belt' problems ..... What sort of problems have you heard about?

Cheers
Gary.

Adrian
10-25-2006, 08:52 PM
Just meant that with a brushless motor driving the tail, it's far less likely to fail compared to a belt. Monday night at club a guy came with his direct drive TREX. (large home made brushless motor front, small brushless rear) No noise at all, just blade chop. Sounded wonderfull! (the future of E-power heli's perhaps?)

OneFinalDarkness
10-26-2006, 09:01 AM
:rolleyes: Hmmm .... that's in intriguing thought Adrian!!

I'll keep an eye on the tail drive and I'd be interested in hearing anything else you notice or discover about this 'Modification' .... It's always good to have options!!! :)

Fingers crossed for a break in the weather ... I'm going stir crazy with no real flying for over a week ... Damn UK weather!!!

Cheers
Gary

Reflex
10-26-2006, 10:34 AM
All the info you need for the Beltless
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=492675

It's a long read lol.

The Direct Drive T-Rex has a Vid. for download at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=1027368

Paul

OneFinalDarkness
10-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks Paul ... That really is a long discussion!! :)

I think I can see the drive behind the modification .... I just wonder whether the trade off between the belt drive and direct drive will in the long run make that much difference to the overall reliability. I will follow this with considerable interest.

Cheers
Gary.

Tintin
10-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Align is probably coming out with shaft driven tail for the 600 pretty soon, wouldn't be surprised if they did that for the 450 too if it works out...

OneFinalDarkness
10-30-2006, 08:19 AM
Ahhhh!!! Now that I can see as being a cracking good idea!

What I'd be most interested in though is how many tail failures have you all experienced that where directly caused by a belt driven tail? I can't really see why the manufacturers go that way if there are so many problems ... Thunder tiger seem to do it on all there model range (I believe anyway!!).

Cheers
Gary.

Adrian
11-01-2006, 10:04 PM
Sorry Tintin. by direct drive I meant a brushless motor driving the rear blades- NOT shaft drive! I've heard loads of problems with shaft drive, can't say I would prefer it over my belt drive, belt's seem to have a little leeway in that dept.

Tintin
11-01-2006, 11:26 PM
I know, I'm not a great fan of shaft either but that's just from hearsay, no experience of my own in that field. I have tried tailmotors on my Esky heli tho and I wouldn't wish for something that bad to happen to my TRexes, just mho (h=humble)
I have belt on 2 450's, a 600 and a Raptor Titan (sorry, yes I know it's nitro but I promise I will convert it..) and have never had a belt failure, yet.
They do use shaft in several scale models I think, with success, it seems Align, might move towards that segment, I've seen they've made a fuse for the 600.

Reflex
11-02-2006, 12:31 AM
I have tried tailmotors on my Esky heli tho and I wouldn't wish for something that bad to happen to my TRexes, just mho (h=humble)

You can't compare a Fixed Pitch tail to a C.P. tail, Tintin ;)

I'd list reliability as

1. Brushless driven C.P. tail
2. Belt driven tail
3. Shaft driven tail

I'd say performance is slightly down on the Brushless tail
due to the higher mass at the end of the tail boom
but no other drawbacks :cool:

Paul

Tintin
11-02-2006, 10:31 AM
No that is of course correct.....:o