PDA

View Full Version : Amando Tucano

iFLYrc_Vic
09-23-2006, 10:07 PM
I am planning to convert this glow plane to electric power. I have one electric (Bronco) in my hanger but this is a new project. Here are the specs on the Tucano:
Wingspan is 59 in, Wing Area is 528 sq in, Weight is 4.05 lb, and Length is 44 inches.

First question is what should I use for a power train (motor, ESC and battery)? There are so many choices and some may work better than others. I would like about 6-8 minutes of flight time and 150 watts per pound minimum. I would also like to keep the price down to under $200 if possible.

kushal_22
10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
I am planning to convert this glow plane to electric power. I have one electric (Bronco) in my hanger but this is a new project. Here are the specs on the Tucano:
Wingspan is 59 in, Wing Area is 528 sq in, Weight is 4.05 lb, and Length is 44 inches.

I would also like to keep the price down to under $200 if possible.

Ha Ha ha ha ha ha Batteries are going to cost you that if not More.:o

your going to need at least a 60AMP ESC thats 140 bucks right there. Lets go with somethig flight proven already and take a look at the AXI 4130/16 Since you do not need 8 to 10S
AXI 4130/XX $150 Since Batteries are getting better a Hyperion 3700 in 1S Should do a 5S is going to cost you $207 thats close to 400 Bucks but 400 well spent dollars.

Regards
Mal

iFLYrc_Vic
10-28-2006, 07:35 PM
Since I don't have a lot of money tied up in the air frame, I am not going to spend any where near $400 on a power system. I have already purchased the Hextronics 50-52B motor and the S60 ESC. The total cost was less than $200. I know the old saying is you get what you pay for, however, this Hextronics combo has proven to be reliable and the motor packs a good punch. I am not looking for contest quality performance for a $70 airframe. Just good Sunday flying is all I am looking for.

You are right about the batteries. They will be the most expensive part of the project. However, i plan to purchase a set that I can use in other planes (3S2p in series/parallel combination).

iFLYrc_Vic
11-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Finally received the batteries for my Tucano. I went with the HXT 2200mah 20/30C 3S1P packs. The plan is to put two packs in parallel to form a 3S2P with 4400mah at 3S voltage (11.1V). Then, put two of these in series to form a BIG 6S2P 4400mah pack at 22.2 V. At 20C, I will have a continuous current rating of around 44 amps with a burst of 66 amps (if my math is correct). This should also allow me to prop the motor to produce over 950 watts.

The plane with motor (w/o batteries) weights close to 5 lbs. The batteries weigh 1.7 lbs. That puts me at 6.7 lbs. The servos and receiver pack should put me right at 7 lbs AUW. So, the math says I should have about 140 watts per pound when she is ready to fly. I was hoping for more but that's what my math cranks out.

I'm still not sure of the correct method to estimate the flight time but my calculations show only about 6 minutes at the 20C rate. That seems short to me. Please check my math and let me know if these calculations are correct.

Any comments or corrections are greatly appreciated.

iFLYrc_Vic
12-06-2006, 12:00 PM
Well I got most of the mods done on the Tucano and she is nearly ready for final adjustments and cosmetic fixes.

More info on my web site forum:
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net

thunder1
12-07-2006, 08:34 PM
If your packs are 2200 mAH, at a 20C rate they will put out 44 amps continuous, 66 amps burst. If your motor only draws say, 50 amps static, then you could just use two 3s packs in series. How much current the motor draws with a 6s pack depends on the prop.

Have you put the motor on a meter to figure out it's performance? I've been about 50-50 on motors from Hextronic/United Hobbies. Out of six motors I bought of the exact same model number, three came in a delta winding and three came in star. So it's kind of hit or miss with those motors.

Any pictures of the motor installation?

iFLYrc_Vic
12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
I did not trust the standard "bolt/pole" motor mounts. They might work fine but they don't look sturdy (old glow fuel flyer kickin in). So I made my own as shown below. More on my web site forum http://iflyrc.hypermart.net.

thunder1
12-08-2006, 09:53 PM
Your motor mount looks nice. I also prefer using plywood boxes in my large electric conversions. They usually turn out lighter than using bolts. And they are way more crash resistant. Don't ask me how I know that;-)

I couldn't find the model on your web site using the search funtion. Do you have a direct link?

iFLYrc_Vic
12-09-2006, 12:12 PM
You have to go to the Forum and scroll down to the "Electric Tucano" section. You must register to post messages or use any fuctions like search. Here is a link:
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net/Y2/cgi-bin/Yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=Electric_Tucano

Hope this works.

iFLYrc_Vic
12-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Just a few more simple installs (wing servo, receiver and battery, prop and spinner) and she will be ready to fly. The AUW came out at 7.03 lbs. That's a little more than I wanted but that is mainly because I am using four 3S1P Lipo battery packs(26 oz).

I probably will not get to do the maiden until the new flying season this spring but I am anxious to give her a whirl.

iFLYrc_Vic
12-31-2006, 10:01 PM
I finally finished installing the batteries. She is ready for static testing. More on my web site.
http://iflyrc.hypermart.net FORUM

iFLYrc_Vic
01-06-2008, 12:37 PM
The final configuration resulted in a wing loading of 32.7 oz/sq ft. No slow flying for this bird.