PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Airplane" Movie?

Sky Sharkster
09-24-2006, 03:29 AM
What's your favorite "Airplane" movie? Flying scenes, Planes, Realism, Story, Effects. Here's mine, in no particular order;
The Blue Max
Pearl Harbor (not great acting but the planes!)
A Piece Of Cake (hard-to-find British film, great "Battle Of Britain" scenes)
Ron

Grasshopper
09-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Funny you should bring this up. I just got back from the theater. I took my Dad to see Flyboys. It had some great special effects and flying scenes. For some reason, now I really want to build a Fokker Tri Plane.

Because I need another plane.....right?????

RUSH
09-24-2006, 04:59 AM
Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Outstanding replicas were made for this movie. I just love the looks of those early airplanes. Love that theme song too.

Plus it has Benny Hill in it! What more needs to be said :D

Don Sims
09-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Both Flight of the Phoenix movies and Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines.

Cowboy
09-24-2006, 04:39 PM
Waldo Pepper with Robert Redford wasn't to bad. I'm going to try the new one Flyboys.

kenchiroalpha
09-24-2006, 09:39 PM
hi :) the flying leather necks, tora tora tora, firefox, and stealth. :D clear skies and good flying.

vax6335
09-24-2006, 11:13 PM
I really like The Blue Max, and Tora Tora Tora. I saw Flyboys last night and thought it was excellent! Lots of airplane action, but there were too many red Fokkers!

Do Tv shows count? Baa Baa Blacksheep has lots of neat Corsair action. :D

TeslaWinger
09-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Those Magnificent Men ITFM got me good with the Antoinette landing in the grass field! All that taught Irish linen stretched across that birdlike frame had me picking glue off my fingers for decades to come!

My New Favorite flying movie is AVIATOR! Howard had this style, y'see...

The Blue Max was great- almost lived up to the book! There was one unfortunate D VII that crashed repeatedly as they ran short of crash footage in editing towards the end! Watching Stachel wring out the monoplane was nerve wracking till the flawed wing finally failed! Don't claim credit for someone else's kill!

Oh Yeah, Waldo Pepper, Cowboy! Wingwalking and barnstorming were risky biz back in The Day! We missed it!

It is a real treat when aviation gets a realistic portrayal in media. Usually their stories revolve around a crash!

Nice to see one actually land once in a while! :D

Wishlist: A movie based on the Navy rigid dirigibles with their Mothership that deployed and retrieved fighters in-flight! What a glorious collection of sky giants we would have today if it weren't for thunderstorms and cold fronts! Like submarine service, the attrition rate was 80 to 90%!

A story on the Lafayette Escadrille, American volunteers flying to defend France in WW1. FLYBOYS looks promising! They didnt waste any money on big name stars- that's a good start! Now I find out that FLYBOYS is Just That! Time to toss the popcorn!

TORA TORA TORA! Climb Mt Nitaka!

TLyttle
09-25-2006, 03:13 AM
I guess there were some BAD airplane movies (can't think of one right now), but "Airplane" was hilarious....

Tora, tora, tora (the original) was superb!

fdix
09-25-2006, 09:59 AM
"There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. His controls would freeze up, his plane would buffet wildly, and he would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man would ever pass. They called it the sound barrier."

Every aviation addict should know which movie this quote comes from ;)

n001pa
09-25-2006, 11:05 AM
The Right Stuff (the greatest of all time)

Always (probably everyone has seen the opening shot of the Catilina almost running over the the fishermen)

Flyboys (I just watched it Friday and it was great)

That would be my top three.

RUSH
09-25-2006, 11:06 AM
"There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. His controls would freeze up, his plane would buffet wildly, and he would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man would ever pass. They called it the sound barrier."

Every aviation addict should know which movie this quote comes from ;)

Ahhh, The Right Stuff - another excellent movie! It's been a long time since I last saw that one. I'm gonna have to rent it and see it again. That reminds me, I saw Chuck Yeager break the sound barrier again in an F-15 at Edwards Air Force base in 1997 - the 50th anniversary of the Air Force. Very cool indeed!

firemanbill
09-25-2006, 06:28 PM
Midway - Went to see it in the theater when surround sound first came out. I remember the walls shaking when the planes were taking off from the carriers.

The original flight of the Phoenix, not the remake

The Battle of Britain. (watched it this weekend while camped out under the stars at Hodges Hobbies Fly In) I do believe this has become my favorite now...;)

The Right Stuff - classic

Space Cowboys - When the young guy pukes in the bipe! Instant Classic

Curtis
10-02-2006, 07:56 AM
Yeah, 'The Right Stuff' and 'Those Magnificent Men...' A good flyby for Spielberg's detail & accuracy in his movies, including 'Always.' I once took a guy with a Nagra recorder and mics to the end of a runway so he could record a B-17 flyover for the 'Amazing Stories' segment he directed. The guy flew all the way to Seattle for a ten second recording!

The Demoiselle replica they made for 'those Magnificent Men...' wouldn't fly, until they realized Santos-Dumont only weighed 100 Lbs. sopping wet, and the 'Demi' was his private airplane. So, a talented female pilot was found to fly it, but they still had to extend the wingspan a foot on each side! The DVD has great extras and comments. they actually did a great job on the effects given the pre-CGI days.

RUSH
10-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Yeah, that DVD does have some great extras. One thing I noticed about the movie (Those Magnificent Men...) was that the Antoinette had the elevator/warping wheels on the sides, but the pilot didn't use them. I guess it would be difficult for a modern pilot to adapt to those controls!

Curtis
10-02-2006, 10:07 PM
Yeah, the methods of controlling flight were as varied as the aircraft in the early years! I know that they opted for safety over realism in the building of the replicas. You can see the joystick of the Antoinette in several scenes. In a great many scenes you can see the modern Lycoming & Continental aircraft engines underneath the fake 'dummy' engines!

Still, seeing that movie on the big screen as a dazed ten-year old (or however old I was) scarred me for life and commenced a thousand margin drawings in a hundred math classes...:rolleyes:

It would be nice if Sig continues with possibly a Bleriot, or a later model Wright or Curtiss plane. I know someone has a stand-off scale Wright Flyer out there that looks...challenging. I'm just happy to see pre-WWI airplanes being available.

RUSH
10-22-2006, 08:51 AM
Just watched The Great Waldo Pepper on TV. Don't remember seeing it before, but who knows :rolleyes: Excellent flying at the end! And some very nice aircraft.

up_ya_go
10-22-2006, 10:03 AM
Wow so many great movies mentioned there .... for me I have to say .... Top of the list .... A Piece of Cake !!
The Spitfire footage ... fantastic !!!!!