PDA

View Full Version : Sig Wonder

FinnFlyer
09-07-2005, 06:50 PM
Has anyone else out there converted this kit? It is a LOT of fun to fly, very quick. Here are the photos of mine.:cool:

Electroman7
09-07-2005, 10:20 PM
I have one sitting on a shelf waiting it's turn to be built. I have a friend with a glow powered version. It seems to fly well, though not scary fast. I intend to power mine with one of my trusty Astroflight brushed motors, either the .035 or the .05. Is that an Axi you have powering yours? What size and what battery pack?

stanger89
09-08-2005, 02:39 PM
I've got one powered with a Mega 16/15/3 on 7x1700s. It's a blast.

Electroman,

With that, I'd go with the 05 on 7-8 sub-Cs, or maybe 2s lipo. Prop it for say 20-30A.

FWIW, I had an Astro 15 on 10x1700s in it for a while, and it flew like the Space Shuttle :D

Electroman7
09-08-2005, 02:53 PM
I've got one powered with a Mega 16/15/3 on 7x1700s. It's a blast.

Electroman,

With that, I'd go with the 05 on 7-8 sub-Cs, or maybe 2s lipo. Prop it for say 20-30A.

FWIW, I had an Astro 15 on 10x1700s in it for a while, and it flew like the Space Shuttle :D

Sounds like good advise: I'll use lipos just for weight savings,

stanger89
09-08-2005, 05:23 PM
FYI, my Wonder flies great on the sub-Cs. Although I think if I were to just switch my current pack for LiPos, I might have hover performance :)

FinnFlyer
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM
My wonder has an AXI 28/14/10, swinging a 8x6 prop, CC-45esc, Kokam 2000mAh15C, and an Electron 6 receiver. It is faster than my friends .25 glow powered. A lot lighter too.:D

Electroman7
09-09-2005, 05:06 PM
My wonder has an AXI 28/14/10, swinging a 8x6 prop, CC-45esc, Kokam 2000mAh15C, and an Electron 6 receiver. It is faster than my friends .25 glow powered. A lot lighter too.:D

Wow! What RPM on that prop? How many AMPS? What is your motor weight? What is your total weight? Estimated top speed? Questions, questions, I know. I'm trying to compare yours to what I know my Astro 05 is capable of.

FinnFlyer
09-09-2005, 05:22 PM
I put my friend's tach on it once, it was just under 14,000, something like 13,800-13,900. I think I am pulling about 30-35 amps. I am not sure what it weighs. I need a good scale. As far as est. speed, I guess it is somewhere in the 50-70 m.p.h. range. I'd like to know for sure with a radar gun.:D

stanger89
09-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Basically, fast enough. I'd estimate the speed as "gets small fast"
:D

FinnFlyer
09-09-2005, 05:59 PM
The way I've heard it described it at the field is, "They look like they are about the same, but as you watch the gas one scream over just the landing strip, the electric shoots across the entire property."
I think it has a lot to do with the silence of my Wonder. A lot of people think noise=power, that is why, in America, we have really loud leafblowers with little or no exhaust. Same with weed eaters, motorcycles, lawn mowers,etc., Noise=Power.
My wonder kinda eerily sounds like a jet turbine coming and going as I flyby. Gotta love it!:D

stanger89
09-09-2005, 06:14 PM
Yeah, it's kind of weird, they aren't really as quiet as you might expect, the prop makes quite a racket :D

FinnFlyer
12-31-2005, 05:19 AM
A fellow flyer at my field borrowed a radar gun.
This past afternoon we clocked it (My Sig Wonder), on a level pass, into a very slight headwind.
I got a reading of 93m.p.h.:eek:

And by the way, I am pretty sure that my battery is not performing at 100%.
It was involved in a nose-in, the flattened about 3/8" on the end of the battery.
If anyone is wondering, I charge it VERY slow, and keep it peaked off.

Brian.:cool:

Dereck
12-31-2005, 09:59 PM
Has anyone else out there converted this kit? It is a LOT of fun to fly, very quick. Here are the photos of mine.:cool:

The good electrics never go away! A Wonder was one of the first electrocutions I saw that could seriously kick a small donkey - way back around 1996, at the old KRC Electric meet.

My fuzzy old memory refuses to remind me of the builder, but I vaguely recall it had an early Aveox BL on DD with a folder prop and ten of whatever round cells were in vogue back then. In an era where the trick was to get your electric high enough to loop, that Wonder would have blown by many glow versions with ease.

As many others have found out, Sig have long produced the finest electric sports model kits around, but insist on only drawing the glow conversion on the plan ;) With modern BL / Lipo combos, the Wonder has to be an even better conversion.

Good to hear you're enjoying your little Wonder

D

CorsairJock
01-05-2006, 06:59 PM
I built one many years ago, in fact: within a few months after they were introduced. Mine was powered CerMark Cobalt 05, spinning 8 x 4.5 folding prop. For most of it's (7 year +) life, a 6 pack of SRC sub "C"s were the battery packs I used. Later, I tried some 7 cell 1000 mAh SRC packs. Even with the 6 cell packs, performance was very good, and 6 minute + flights were common. With the 7 cell packs, it became a skyrocket.
The amazing thing about this plane is it's gliding ability: I was even thermaling with it one time. It could go fast, and it could be slowed to a very stable crawl, for low speed passes.
I eventually crashed it, when I accidently reversed the elevator servo, and didn't realize it until after a power on hand launch.
Truely, a very remarkable kit, and one of my all time favorite electric powered ones.

BradT
01-06-2006, 01:37 AM
As Dereck said above, that one's been a good conversion for a long time. My RC flight instructor, Rick Harris, was flying that model when he was teaching me to fly, back in '97. He used the latest high tech stuff of that era: a DD Kyosho Magnetic Mayhem, on 7 of the very latest Sanyo 1700 sub Cs, with a Grish Tornado 8x4 prop. There were no E-props then, and the Grish white nylon props were nice and flexy, so they never broke on belly landers. To a new pilot like me, the Wonder was stunningly fast and aerobatic, and would probably still do pretty well on that setup. Rick moved about 1400 km. away 5 years ago, so I don't know if he still flies it. It certainly opened my eyes to the potential of e-power, at a time when others were telling me I should get a .40 trainer, rather than the Golberg Mirage 550 that I was learning on.
Brad.

stanger89
07-11-2007, 01:22 PM
Bringing back a dormant thread, I finally swapped out my NiCDs for LiPos (2s 3200 Kokam SHDs). And well, I have a small problem, I can't get it balanced.

To rewind a bit, I swapped out the batteries, (and the ESC, was closer to the limit of my Phoenix 25 than I'd like so I threw a 35 in), took it out to the field, realized I'd forgotten to check the balance. So I did it quick at the field, and it was "just a little" tail heavy.

Stupid me, I decided to fly it, gave it a toss and it went vertical. After I managed to trim it a bit, and several snap loops, inside and outside, I got it back on the ground in one piece. So, note to self "just a little" is way too much when it comes to tail heavy.

Anyway, I've been trying to get it balanced since then. The Lipo is all the way forward. The RX/ESC are in front of the wing. Not much I can do about the aileron servo.

Guess what I'm looking for is what are you guys doing for servo placement and have you needed to add weight.

My current plan is to replace the Elevator servo with a micro (would a sub-micro be enough?) and move it as far forward on the bottom as I can. But I think I'll still need to add lead to the nose to get it balanced, even with that.

FinnFlyer
07-11-2007, 04:50 PM
I did add some nose weight. I also built out the firewall on mine 1" to get the spinner where it is on the plans.
In other words, my AXI wasn't long enough from the original firewall.
I used HS-81 servos. I have 2 in the wing for ailerons.
Be careful going to smaller servos as this plane can pull some serious G's, and I would think that it would have quite a bit of force on it.

FF

stanger89
07-12-2007, 03:40 AM
Be careful going to smaller servos as this plane can pull some serious G's, and I would think that it would have quite a bit of force on it.

Yeah, I was leaning toward something like the JR331 Micro, same torque as my standard JRs but just a bit over 1/3 the weight. The Sub-micros are attractive though at 1/5 the weight. But the significantly lower torque bothers me with those.

woodsy
07-12-2007, 06:19 AM
I built a SPAD one years ago with an OS 40FP in it, flew great and easy to build. One built from FFF would be a hoot.