PDA

View Full Version : Old Dog needs new tricks

rekitter
09-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Howdy. I go by the name rekitter. That is re-kit-ter as in I can take a beautiful, well made, perfectly balanced balsa and mylar airplane and taxi it and take off and a short time later it will auger in and become a whole new kit again!

My total time of RC flight give or take is about ten minutes. I have been building and building airplanes for many years, but I just can't seem to fly them. My flight kit consists of a broom and dustpan and a couple big bottles of five minute epoxy.

Now I have a teenage son that wants to learn to fly and we have been to a gym at his school and seen the Electrics a bit.

What we need is a plane that can do a full bore crash into a concrete wall and NOT need to go home and spend a couple weeks in rehab.

I will peruse the other posts and see what is out there, but bear in mind, I don't have a clue as yet to all the electric terminology and stuff. Been doing nitro powered planes and glides mostly. Some rubber powered, too.

Help is much appreciated! Thanks.

flypaper 2
09-08-2005, 12:45 AM
Why not get someone to teach you and your son to fly. Lot easier on the pocketbook

debhicks
09-08-2005, 02:37 AM
If you want electric check out gws, eflite, and others. The estarter is a good trainer airplane and the slowstick may be a good indoor/outdoor (no wind type) trainer. I like the soarstar. It is just a good airplane. It will teach you a lot. It is an outdoor flyer.

Foam is easy to repair for the most part with odorless CA and some foam safe kicker you can be in the air in less than 5 minutes after repair.

Foam by and large is just forgiving. Unless you run it 400 mph into the ground and shear off the already repaired motor mount and have to re-engineer another one. Check out Beaver thread.

Good book to read. The Pilots Guide by Scott Stoops. Excellent reading material and flight information. Even for the advanced pilots. You can visit his website or see it at www.willshobbies.com (http://www.willshobbies.com).

Have fun, enjoy. And when you get good, get a shock flyer and fly all day indoor's or out. Your choice. Lots to choose from.

EpoweredRc
09-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Howdy. I go by the name rekitter. That is re-kit-ter as in I can take a beautiful, well made, perfectly balanced balsa and mylar airplane and taxi it and take off and a short time later it will auger in and become a whole new kit again!

My total time of RC flight give or take is about ten minutes. I have been building and building airplanes for many years, but I just can't seem to fly them. My flight kit consists of a broom and dustpan and a couple big bottles of five minute epoxy.

Now I have a teenage son that wants to learn to fly and we have been to a gym at his school and seen the Electrics a bit.

What we need is a plane that can do a full bore crash into a concrete wall and NOT need to go home and spend a couple weeks in rehab.

I will peruse the other posts and see what is out there, but bear in mind, I don't have a clue as yet to all the electric terminology and stuff. Been doing nitro powered planes and glides mostly. Some rubber powered, too.

Help is much appreciated! Thanks.

get you a flight sim even if it is FMS and learn the basics thenget you aplane,theres plenty out there.
Good luck and Welcome to WattFlyer
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html FMS

Unbalanced prop
09-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Here are a few "unbreakable" planes.:rolleyes: I have two of them, and although not unbreakable, they do take a real beating. They have definitely made me a better pilot. It is almost like having a reset button.:D

http://www.cockatoohobbies.com/index.htm

http://www.funplanes.com/

http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/detail.aspx?ID=25

Doug

rekitter
09-08-2005, 11:25 PM
I will look into those planes and stuff...as for having someone teach me and son to fly...well I had me one o' them but he moved away and I ain't see him since.

Last time I saw him fly he had a 2 channel Curtis Robin inverted four feet off the ground and couldn't get it right side up again so he could land it! He wound up augered in for the day just like me!

rahtware
09-09-2005, 04:51 PM
Sounds like the blind leading the blind.

The question is, "how bad do you want to learn to fly RC?" If this is actually something you want to do then; quit messing around, find a "REAL" pilot/teacher and most importantly DO WHAT THEY SAY, not what you think. The hardest part of this hobby (for men) is not the building, flying part. As in most things, the hardest part for us is admitting to ourselves that we need help and then going out and ASKING for it. That puts us in a position of weakness that most men find uncomfortable.

I was lucky when I started because I had a close friend that was also a great pilot AND a great teacher. He spent one weekend with me and I was able to keep my glider under control. He wasn't available when I decided to move over to glow power, but his advice was, (the same that I offer you) which I followed and found a good teacher at the local club field. Three weekends later I was able to keep a glow plane under control. After all our hobby is called Radio "Control", not Radio stall-snap-spin-and-crash. The results have been that most of my re-kits have been my choice, as in "I wonder if this plane can do that trick..."

As with most men I have a hard time communicating without sounding like a jerk, so if you take offence at what I have written, please understand that no insult was meant.

Steve
09-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Get something made entirely out of EPP foam that flies SLOW. The Estarter is NOT a good plane for someone that crashes a lot. It's pretty fragile in its stock form and if you apply most of the recommended mods, it's too heavy if you ask me.

Another possible plane for you would be Mountain Models "Magpie".

REDNECK FLYER
09-26-2005, 08:47 PM
If you want electric check out gws, eflite, and others. The estarter is a good trainer airplane and the slowstick may be a good indoor/outdoor (no wind type) trainer. I like the soarstar. It is just a good airplane. It will teach you a lot. It is an outdoor flyer.

Foam is easy to repair for the most part with odorless CA and some foam safe kicker you can be in the air in less than 5 minutes after repair.

Foam by and large is just forgiving. Unless you run it 400 mph into the ground and shear off the already repaired motor mount and have to re-engineer another one. Check out Beaver thread.

Good book to read. The Pilots Guide by Scott Stoops. Excellent reading material and flight information. Even for the advanced pilots. You can visit his website or see it at www.willshobbies.com (http://www.willshobbies.com).

Have fun, enjoy. And when you get good, get a shock flyer and fly all day indoor's or out. Your choice. Lots to choose from.guess who:D :D :D :D :D ;)

debhicks
09-27-2005, 12:37 AM
Look at our star's. Looking to see this father son pair out in the professional circut before long. :) :) :)

REDNECK FLYER
09-27-2005, 11:34 PM
is using ebay a bad thing when buying airplane parts?