PDA

View Full Version : What I hate about WattFlyer

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 02:57 AM
I started back into this hobby at the beginning of this year (used to be a slimer years ago). I never would have dreamed electrics could be so much fun and I am totally addicted to them now. My own personal addiction has also been spreading through work and the neighborhood too.

Being a member of this forum has really amazed me. There have been so many good people offering help, constructive criticism and support that without a doubt is the reason for the successes I've had with electrics. Not to mention making me spend a lot of money too but I won't hold that against any of you.

But here's what I hate about it. It's the fact that most likely, I will never get a chance to meet you. Wouldn't it be great to have a WattFlyer Family Reunion? A chance for everyone to meet each other and swap stories, fly some planes, tell some jokes and just have a good time?

Should we ever do this, we would need to have a fairly central location to make it as convienient as possible so I would like to suggest we have it in Southwest Missouri. Not for any personal reasons of course but it is about dead center in the US so it would work perfect.

Just a thought.

Tom

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 03:17 AM
Tom I totally agree. I feel like you are family already. :D

If you build it they (I) will come!

Don Sims
09-26-2006, 03:21 AM
We could have it at the sod farm outside of Dyer, but ther ain't no motels around here.....How do you folks fly over in West MO with all those hills??!!

The Boeing guys up in St. Lewis have a excellent fly-in for electrics.

thomdoe
09-26-2006, 03:24 AM
It's a great idea. I would put first on the list, time of year/ weather conditions. Then pick the site. find out where most are coming from ? AMA, non AMA all can fly. Just some ideas. K

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 03:33 AM
I'd say you'd almost have to make it a non ama type deal. I'd say there are more non ama, than ama people that posts here.

I bet it would work if you could find a place to do it.

Can we all come spend the night with you Tom?:p

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 03:41 AM
I'd say you'd almost have to make it a non ama type deal. I'd say there are more non ama, than ama people that posts here.

I bet it would work if you could find a place to do it.

Can we all come spend the night with you Tom?:p

You bet you can! You may have to mow the yard and feed the two Golden Retreivers.

aircruiser
09-26-2006, 03:49 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota? :D

I'd like to have a huge electric get-together.

Wattflyer myspace group?

aviatordave
09-26-2006, 03:54 AM
I think it would be great to do this. Although its not far for me, the east and west coasters would have a drive. Can we camp in your backyard Grasshopper? :D JK.....I'd get a hotel! :p

Keep the idea going, let see what transpires.

Good topic!

Dave

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 03:54 AM
We could have it at the sod farm outside of Dyer, but ther ain't no motels around here.....How do you folks fly over in West MO with all those hills??!!
The Boeing guys up in St. Lewis have a excellent fly-in for electrics.

You just get used to a lot of up and down elevator.

thomdoe
09-26-2006, 04:01 AM
CAMP !!?? TENTS!! What are those !!!! WHERE'S THE Hotel I need a shower. Sorry West Coast.

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 04:06 AM
OK, my Home town is Carthage Missouri. Every year in August there is a reunion of Vietnamese that gather at the grounds of a Catholic College for priests. You need to understand that the population of Carthage is 12,000. Every August, for 4 days, over 60,000 Vietnamese camp on the grounds. Surely if they can do it we can.

aircruiser
09-26-2006, 04:13 AM
I don't know if my parents would do it, but we have a 2005 KZ frontier 2505 RS trailer we pull behind our 04 ram and we could camp out there.

It would be alot of fun but how do I think that I'll be the only teenager there? :)

That's alright.

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 04:14 AM
I don't know if my parents would do it, but we have a 2005 KZ frontier 2505 RS trailer we pull behind our 04 ram and we could camp out there.

It would be alot of fun but how do I think that I'll be the only teenager there? :)

That's alright.

That's OK Aircruiser. We're all just a bunch of kids at heart. You'd fit right in.

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 04:16 AM
Well if we did it during the summer my 10 y/o son would be there!

That way you wouldn't be the youngest AC.:D

aviatordave
09-26-2006, 04:23 AM
ehhh i better not say that...delete post

adhoc
09-26-2006, 04:51 AM
I feel much the same way, and think some kind of get together would be a great idea, too!

At an extremely small scale, Kosh and I did it this last weekend. He invited me to fly with him and some other guys at their semi-regular, very informal get-together. Was great fun, and great to meet him in person...

As for a single, monster WattFlyer get-together, well, maybe... Depending on when and where, I might try to make it. But Missouri is a long way from the Left Coast! I did the drive from Maryland to Washington State last fall, and it is certainly a non-trivial trip... :eek:

Perhaps another approach would be to have regional get-togethers, on a rotating basis (so that the more ambitious/unconstrained folks can go to more than one of them!)... Northwest, Northeast, Southeast, Southwest, Midwest, whatever... Or even just East and West might help...

And of course we could do them by state or major metro area, but that would depend on the numbers interested...

Definitely agree that it should NOT be limited to AMA members...

Here's hoping to see at least some of you, sooner or later! ;)

Crash Test Dummy
09-26-2006, 05:28 AM
Tom,

That sounds like a great idea, however adhoc made some very good points. I'm sure it would be hard to get everyone together in one central location. I live about 50 miles west of Chicago [Yes we all do carry Heaters [machine guns], LoL!!!] I work what seems like all the time and I try to get in my flying when ever I can. It would be very hard for me to get away as much as I'd love to meet everyone here I just don't think I could swing the time off. A event in the midwest would be my best chance of getting together with you guys. I'd probably have to butter the wife up before hand with a very costly vacation.

CTD

Sky Sharkster
09-26-2006, 11:18 AM
HI Tom ,you have a great idea, it's true most of us will never meet face-to-face otherwise.
I do have a suggestion, it's not exactly "informal" but solves most of the problems brought up so far. Everyone that can, goes to the AMA Nationals. It's reasonably central, announced in plenty of time to make plans like vacation time, etc. Hotels, food available. Best of all, we can FLY!! Every event known to modeling, the best planes, flyers, and a great site. We could organize a certain day or several evenings to meet. Maybe the AMA would hook us up with a meeting space. I'm pretty sure you can attend the Nats without being an AMA member, but you'll need a license to fly. Or we could meet off-site at a hotel meeting room.
Just a thought?
Ron

Grasshopper
09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Some good ideas here guys. Buy the way, I was joking about having it in SW Missouri. Although it would be great, travelling here can be challenging at best. It might be good for someone that has the info (if there is anyone) to put some dots on a map to see where the concentrations of WattFlyers are. Then it might be a little easier to see where regional meets could take place

ParkJetsFlyer
09-26-2006, 04:39 PM
You can see where Wattflyer members live (those who signed up to do so) by using the Frappr map http://www.frappr.com/wattflyer

Last Year a few people looked into having a fly-in someplace in Kansas.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3292 I don't think anything became of it though, but I may be mistaken.

There are some cities that have "RC Parks" set-up where a AMA licence is not needed, but these are few and far between. Most established flying sites will require AMA due to the insurance liaibility, in this day and age, it's hard to get around it. Even when we fly indoors at the local golf dome, we need to have a AMA card :(

adhoc
09-26-2006, 05:15 PM
You can see where Wattflyer members live (those who signed up to do so) by using the Frappr map http://www.frappr.com/wattflyerThat's a cool map! Unfortunately, I'm not on there. :confused: I assume Frappr gets its information from the Location entry in our profile; mine is correct: "Tacoma, Washington" Maybe it only expects a two-letter state abbrev? I don't see Kosh on there, either...

But assuming it is a semi-random sample of all WattFlyers, it is clear where the concentrations are. Lots more in the East than in the West. In the West, seems to me the obvious concentrations are the Seattle area (with more than a few Canadians in the mix) and the L.A. area, but that's just at first glance...

aviatordave
09-26-2006, 07:18 PM
Adhoc, I believe you have to enter it in yourself at the Frappr site.

(top right side of map, blue letters 'ADD')

Dave (I'm the only one in my state....)

Kai_Shiden
09-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Hey Adhoc, it was nice to meet you last weekend, this is that crazy heli guy who was out there at Fry's :D.

-Kai_Shiden (real name: Eron)

adhoc
09-26-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey Adhoc, it was nice to meet you last weekend, this is that crazy heli guy who was out there at Fry's :D.

-Kai_Shiden (real name: Eron)Hey man, it was good to meet you, too! You are the man with that heli! I'm still shaking my head over what you were doing with that thing! Now I wish I had watched what you were doing with the sticks... :)

So that makes (at least) three of us! A WattFlyer record? (I doubt it)

Hope to hang/fly with you again sometime... maybe I won't be such a wind wimp next time... :rolleyes:

Andy

aircruiser
09-26-2006, 11:15 PM
Well if we did it during the summer my 10 y/o son would be there!

That way you wouldn't be the youngest AC.:D

Well if my little brother comes, he's 10 too. I guess he'd have a friend there. :)

Me, redhatman, my dad, and my little brother all flew at once. Does that count as a record?

firemanbill
09-26-2006, 11:46 PM
Well that would be really cool AC, If I could get my oldest boy interested we have a blast... He's 15 too.

aircruiser
09-27-2006, 12:50 AM
:eek:

How could he not be interested in R/C???

Well, I got everything I'm into from my dad.

R/C trucks, R/C cars, R/C planes, R/C helicopters, repairing cars (fullsize), you name it.

Pretty much, I was born with these interests I still have.

I got a feeling I'm never gonna change my ways.

This is to much fun and it keeps me away from drugs and all that junk, because I have no money left. :D

firemanbill
09-27-2006, 12:58 AM
I need to get you two together then! Ya wanna come visit and bring him back from the darkside??? lol

His interest are running, he is on the varsity cross country track team, and computers. I can't say he sits in front of the computer all day since he runs 5 miles a day!:eek: Well except for thursdays and they run 10 then:eek: :eek: :eek:

He is a great young man, he is just not into stuff like me and my youngest boy are.

aircruiser
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Kinda the opposite way things work around here. :D

My younger brother is kind of into R/C, but is a diehard football nut.

When he's not at practice, he's watching it on the T.V.

Or driving his R/C truck, then breaking it, then waiting until someone fixes it or waits until mom tells him to get his R/C stuff off the table. :D

Can't say I'm not to innocent either. :D

Grasshopper
09-27-2006, 01:05 AM
Hey Bill,

Your boys sound like my brother and me. We are two years apart (I'm the youngest). Growing up, I did everything with my Dad. Hunting, fishing, camping, woodworking, working on cars, you name it, we did it together. My brother on the other hand didn't have much interest in those things other than fishing. He is an extremely gifted and creative artist and musician. Me on the other hand had to use a triangle and straight edge to do everything.

All being told, he just had different interests than my Dad and me, but my Dad was Ok with that. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

Grasshopper
09-27-2006, 01:16 AM
By the way Bill,

I sure didn't mean for that to sound like a bad thing because it's not.

firemanbill
09-27-2006, 01:35 AM
Oh no not at all Tom. I know exactly what you mean.

I would just like to be able to spend more time with my older one. I have to work harder to connect with him. My younger one though is a replica of me! They are both great kids though and I wouldn't trade 'em for anything!

aircruiser
09-27-2006, 01:40 AM
Bill, I have been told I am one of a kind alot, it seems like everyone else my age except for my friends just seem to want to stay hidden.

But I give him alot of credit for going out and runnig everyday!

The only time I really run is to get to my classes at High School (most seem like they're on the other side of the earth!)

And chasing down a plane that ran out of juice in the air and had to land a ways away from me. :D

Crash Test Dummy
09-27-2006, 03:10 AM
That is a cool map. I just added myself. Where are the AMA Nats being held, in Indiana at the AMA site?

CTD

ElectricFlyGuy
03-23-2007, 03:08 AM
I have my back pack and sleeping bag ready.:D

You just get used to a lot of up and down elevator.

Grasshopper
03-23-2007, 03:25 AM
With all the rain and flooding we're having right now, you better bring some rubber boots and a life preserver. We got 5 inches of rain Tuesday night alone. :eek:

Looks like I need to build a float plane now.

ElectricFlyGuy
03-23-2007, 03:59 AM
I will bring a boat and motor too:D

With all the rain and flooding we're having right now, you better bring some rubber boots and a life preserver. We got 5 inches of rain Tuesday night alone. :eek:

Looks like I need to build a float plane now.

rcav8r
03-23-2007, 05:43 PM
FWIW, I'm helping w/ a Funfly this year that a member here has had for a bout 4 years now. It's electric only and has really grown and this year will be a 2 day event. So if your near the Pittsburgh area, why not stop out? June 23 and 24th

Also I know the "other forum" has a meeting usually set at Toledo for it's memebers to meet and greet. How about something like that for WF?

firemanbill
03-23-2007, 05:54 PM
Is that the Mon-Valley one? If I'll see you there!

rcav8r
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Bill;
Yep that's it. Glad you'll be coming up. It really has turned into a great event. The first year my 3rd largest plane (E3D) was the largest there by far. The year before last even my 8' Old timer was on the small side :)

firemanbill
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Yeah we are looking forward to it.

We just got a new (to us) camper and will be going down to SEFF next month and coming up your way next.

aircruiser
03-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Am I the only guy in Minnesota??

Man, we need more northern people to fly electric!

vax6335
03-24-2007, 06:08 AM
If anyone goes to the Nats, please let me know. My fiance is from Muncie, and I only live an hour and a half away. I go down there all the time, and when the weather was nice, I fly out there. Sure is nice having a 1,000 acre flying site almost all to myself :D

Balil
03-24-2007, 07:02 AM
ive got access to several hundreds of acres here in north east texas. and there are PLENTY of hotels in and around the tyler area. and since its a family ranch, it would be a FREE meet, ama and non ama would be welcome. JUST STAY OFF MY CHANNEL!

CHELLIE
03-24-2007, 07:44 AM
I started back into this hobby at the beginning of this year (used to be a slimer years ago). I never would have dreamed electrics could be so much fun and I am totally addicted to them now. My own personal addiction has also been spreading through work and the neighborhood too.

Being a member of this forum has really amazed me. There have been so many good people offering help, constructive criticism and support that without a doubt is the reason for the successes I've had with electrics. Not to mention making me spend a lot of money too but I won't hold that against any of you.

But here's what I hate about it. It's the fact that most likely, I will never get a chance to meet you. Wouldn't it be great to have a WattFlyer Family Reunion? A chance for everyone to meet each other and swap stories, fly some planes, tell some jokes and just have a good time?

Should we ever do this, we would need to have a fairly central location to make it as convienient as possible so I would like to suggest we have it in Southwest Missouri. Not for any personal reasons of course but it is about dead center in the US so it would work perfect.

Just a thought.

Tom

Thats a Wonderful Idea :) I think the wifes would get a little bored though, most women do not enjoy this wonderful hobby, a few do but not many, What would make a nice reunion place, would be Las Vegas Nevada, the wifes would have a nice time taking in the shows, there is great food there, and lots of hotels :D and everyone can get in a little gambling too, so something like Las vegas would be a win win for the wifes and hubbies, something for everyone to do and enjoy, Just a thought, thats my 2 cents worth, Chellie

Grasshopper
03-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Thats a Wonderful Idea :) I think the wifes would get a little bored though, most women do not enjoy this wonderful hobby, a few do but not many, What would make a nice reunion place, would be Las Vegas Nevada, the wifes would have a nice time taking in the shows, there is great food there, and lots of hotels :D and everyone can get in a little gambling too, so something like Las vegas would be a win win for the wifes and hubbies, something for everyone to do and enjoy, Just a thought, thats my 2 cents worth, Chellie

Wives?????:D

CHELLIE
03-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Tom, You dont think for One minute, That your wife or the members wifes will let you out of Their sights for a few days do you ? :D :rolleyes: ;)

Grasshopper
03-25-2007, 01:13 AM
If it means flying, yes, she will. She has no interest what so ever in it.

CHELLIE
03-25-2007, 02:06 AM
If it means flying, yes, she will. She has no interest what so ever in it.

Good for Her :D your lucky ;) Take care, Chellie

firemanbill
03-25-2007, 02:09 AM
Same here... My wife is great. She really supports me in my addiction...:rolleyes:

So much so that we just bought a Camper... Just so I can go to SEFF! And a lot of future fly ins around the country.:D :D

Grasshopper
03-25-2007, 02:13 AM
Good for Her :D your lucky ;) Take care, Chellie

Yes, I'm very lucky :D :D

Same here... My wife is great. She really supports me in my addiction...:rolleyes:

So much so that we just bought a Camper... Just so I can go to SEFF! And a lot of future fly ins around the country.:D :D

Our wives must be clones Bill. When I wanted to buy my Mustang convertible, at first she thought I meant an RC P-51 Mustang. When I told her no, it's a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible, she said well, if you want it, buy it. She's the best!

firemanbill
03-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Our wives must be clones Bill. When I wanted to buy my Mustang convertible, at first she thought I meant an RC P-51 Mustang. When I told her no, it's a 1965 Ford Mustang convertible, she said well, if you want it, buy it. She's the best!

Funny you mention that...

When we first still struggling to keep planes in the air me and my boy would go to the LHS about three times a day sometimes getting stuff to fix up our oopsies... One of the guys that works there named Warren has a newer model Mustang. really nice one at that. Well he asked us if we wanted to buy his GWS Mustang and we struck a deal. had to wait for a day or two to go back and get it. When we did my son went up to him and said we were there to buy his Mustang, at first he looked at him like we were crazy and said he wasn't selling his mustang... he thought we meant his car!:D

Long story short his memory came back, we bought the bird and still have it to this day...

Grasshopper
03-25-2007, 02:33 AM
Had the convertible out today (sunny and 82 but too windy to fly). Pulled up to a stop light and what is sitting beside me? A brand new white Mustang Shelby Cobra. It even had red interior like mine. So there we sit, both admiring each other's cars. The oldest and newest model Mustangs to be built. Kind of cool.

firemanbill
03-25-2007, 02:40 AM
Had the convertible out today (sunny and 82 but too windy to fly). Pulled up to a stop light and what is sitting beside me? A brand new white Mustang Shelby Cobra. It even had red interior like mine. So there we sit, both admiring each other's cars. The oldest and newest model Mustangs to be built. Kind of cool.

I bet that was cool. I did that a lot when the New Beetles first came out.:D Never ran across one painted the same as mine though...

Grasshopper
03-25-2007, 02:42 AM
I bet that was cool. I did that a lot when the New Beetles first came out.:D Never ran across one painted the same as mine though...

I think he could have taken the old 289 off the line pretty easily though. And the rest of the 1/4 mile too.:eek:

crxmanpat
04-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm a little late to the party, but I'll toss in some comments as well. One good thing to do (as was mentioned previously) is to try and meet and large events.

On RCG, prior to the recent Arizona Electric Festival in January, several of us posted in the Special Events forum about who was going to be there. I even went so far as to make up name tags for me and some friends. I met a TON of people that I chat with regularly in the forums.

We can do the same in the WF Special Events forum. I'd love to go to NATS, but it might still be a few years before I'm able to make that trek. I've been doing the fly-in circuit here in the southwest, and in a few years I'll be moving back to Florida. Then I'll make my way around there (SEFF, Florida Jets, etc).

airmail wf
04-05-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm late also. How about Toledo. Would be nice to see some name tags there. I'll be wearing one. Hope I see you all there.:cool: :)