PDA

View Full Version : Need a small Cessna 182 ARF

KAR
09-27-2006, 03:12 AM
I've been looking for a Cessna 182 with a 40-45 inch span. I was going to buy a Watt-Age but it has been discontiued. I also looked at the World Models all wood Cessna as well. It's going to be elecric but I'm not opposed to converting a gas model. It does need to be an ARf and it has to have ailerons. Nice scale looks are also important. Who makes the best one...or should I ask what are some of your favorites?

Thanks,

Kevin

QuietRCFly
09-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Here is a foam version, but it does have ailerons. I have no experince with it, just saw it surfing the other day.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna182.htm

We will be carrying the Hyperion version which is sure to be a very nice kit, but it won't be available until at least the end of November and the wingspan is just under 40 inches.

The early version of the box label is attached.

The label says magnets retain hatch, but that will most likely change to a small pin latch.

KAR
09-27-2006, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the reply. I also looked at this 172.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/cessna172.htm

Has anyone had experience with this plane?

Robbie d
09-27-2006, 03:44 AM
If you can find an ultrafly cessna, you will be very satisfied. Flies well stock, flies even better brushless. I've got it set up for throttle, flaps, aileron, elevator and rudder. Makes a good A/P platform too. One of my flying buddies built his as the taildragger version, mine is trike.

KAR
09-28-2006, 04:04 AM
Thanks Robbie d. Is this the one you're talking about?

http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/ultrafly/ufla1002.html

Do they only make one model?

bert269
09-28-2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Kar

If you need anything that is more 'balsa' - check this out:
http://www.nitroplanes.com/cesk1541arfn.html

I have not ordered this one, but another one, a bigger one from Nitroplanes.com. Have not start assemling it yet - wating for the winter time....

Robbie d
09-28-2006, 11:44 PM
Kar, thats the one, one of the best planes I own, handles the breeze a little better than most due to the extra weight. I run mine on a himaxx 2025-4200 in a 6.6:1 gearbox with a 10x4.7 prop on etec 3s1700.
Did also fly it with the falcon 400 (standard motor) with 8 nimhs, still worked very well, will post pics if it helps.

KAR
09-29-2006, 03:24 AM
Thanks for your help guys. I really like both the ultra fly and the one from nitroplanes. I should buy them both, but for now I ordered the nitroplanes cause it's wood. I'm going to put an outrunner in it and maybe a 2100 mah 3S LiPoly. I'm shooting for a half hour run time at cruise. A little extra weight will be OK since my club has a windy field.

This plane is for my brother. It will be a big step up from the underpowered RTF Cessna he's been flying...throttle is either on or off-no modulation...crumpled plastic fuse from all the crashes...parts are no longer available anyway so its time for a new one. He liked the looks of the nitroplanes too. I couldn't find any reviews or anyone who has built this one so I guess I'm the guinea pig. If anyone knows of a thread on this model, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Kevin

bert269
10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Hey Kevin

Please keep us updated on the 'migration to EP'. I'm curious to see what you are doing with it...Maybe some foto's and I'll do the same here on my side once I'm ready to start. I'm working on just one more plane and then I'll get the Cessna...

Hmmmmm - you want to use a 2100mah Battery and project 30mins of flight??? What motor are you planning? ....WOW - I think you are a bit optimistic...but I could be wrong. This is why I'm saying that:

I built a GreatPlanes Electric (.40 size) and installed the Axi 2820/10 with a 4S(1P) 4000mah Lipo, 45Amp ESC and 9 X 7 prop. I could get the most 15-16mins flight out of it....and it was really casual flying...I mean REALLY casual. Besides getting it off the ground, I don't think the throttle was ever above 45%....Just my 0.02c. I'm planning a 2826/12 on the Cessna.

Besides that - please keep us updated on your process with the conversion of the Cessna.

Take care
Bert

KAR
10-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Kevin

Please keep us updated on the 'migration to EP'. I'm curious to see what you are doing with it...Maybe some foto's and I'll do the same here on my side once I'm ready to start. I'm working on just one more plane and then I'll get the Cessna...

Hmmmmm - you want to use a 2100mah Battery and project 30mins of flight??? What motor are you planning? ....WOW - I think you are a bit optimistic...but I could be wrong. This is why I'm saying that:

I built a GreatPlanes Electric (.40 size) and installed the Axi 2820/10 with a 4S(1P) 4000mah Lipo, 45Amp ESC and 9 X 7 prop. I could get the most 15-16mins flight out of it....and it was really casual flying...I mean REALLY casual. Besides getting it off the ground, I don't think the throttle was ever above 45%....Just my 0.02c. I'm planning a 2826/12 on the Cessna.

Besides that - please keep us updated on your process with the conversion of the Cessna.

Take care
Bert

I'll do my best to keep you updated on the nitroplanes cessna. I just bought a motor from Paul at rcepower for only $13.50. ELE EC28P-L (https://st86.startlogic.com/~rcepower/osCommerce1/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=98&osCsid=60e0ad87fd23b9184ba51b684e216519) He says its a 200 watt motor so it sould go vertical at only 1.5 pounds.

As far as the 30 minute projection..I don't really know what to expect. I've done pretty well with my planes so far though. I have a Kyosho Cessna Cardinal 177 with a 47 inch wingspan that I put a AXI 2814/10, 2S LiPo 4000 mah, 10X6 aeronaut prop, and it goes for a half hour with some to spare. I don't even have to fly it that conservatively. Even if I go nuts with it...vertical till I can't hardly see it anymore, inverted flying, and all the fun stuff and I never run out of battery in less than 15 minutes. This plane draws 40 amps WOT static. The Nitroplanes is about a pound lighter so It should do pretty well with a smaller battery. If not, I'll just get a bigger one.

I do have a friend with a Zaggi who gets over a half hour with a 2100mah and its about a pound and a half. It has a regular old "vintage" speed 400 with brushes. It doesn't have as much wind drag though.

I also have a Pico Tigermoth that will go a half hour on a 640mah LiPo. With the exception of my Airfoilz Yak 54, All my planes just end up being half hour planes so I guess I expect nothing less.:rolleyes:

Kevin

KAR
10-06-2006, 06:35 AM
The nitroplanes cessna showed up yetsterday. What a great looking plane. I think it looks better in person than it does on the website. Makes me want to buy a handful of them just for spares. Hope it flies half as good as it looks. The covering isn't perfect with a few wrinkles and all but could probably be smoothed out. All the blue trim lines up nicely.

I changed my mind on the motor setup. I oredered a Hacker A30-28S which is supposed to have a peak wattage of 260. I'll be using a Dynam 40A speed control...must be an exact copy of a Jeti cause it makes the exact same tones when you power it up. I used my Jeti program card and it seemed to take. It sure was cheap though. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these ESCs? It seems too good to be true.

So far all I've done is glue the main wing together and ca the hinges in place. The fit on the wing was good. Just a tiny bit of dihedral like the real Cessna. Slip the short spar in and push the halves together and the fit is tight enough, no measurment required. Slight warpage on the ailerons..no biggie. All control serfaces were pre slotted and assembled with hinges and all you have to do is apply the glue. Prior experience is a good thing cause the inctructions don't explain anything. There are few pictires and fewer words. Mostly just symbols for CA, Epoxy or cut...and thats it. Theres really not much to explain though, if you've built any kind of plane you shouldn't have too much trouble with this one. It tells you how much throw on the controls and CG...what more do you need?

The firewall is great. It has captive metal nuts that slide in and out to accomodate most sizes of outrunner mounts without drilling or cutting anything. This kit was even supplied with a fuel tank for those using gas (I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that).

Anyway, that's all I got for now. Thanks again Bert for bringing this one to my attention. This is going to be one of my favorite planes...er...uh, for my brother of course. It's going to be tough to hand this one over.

Kevin

bert269
10-06-2006, 11:36 AM
YOu are welcome. I am gald that you are happy with the plane. As I said - mine is still in the box it arrived in a few weeks ago - have not even touched it yet. Too busy working on other things (trainers, etc) to get my going first - before I go for the scale planes....I really would not like to crash the scales, rather the trainers....LOL

Take care and enjoy the Cessna.

Bert

WWI Ace
10-07-2006, 04:49 PM
Hey I got one of the www.nitroplanes.com (http://www.nitroplanes.com) Cessnas too, ( or is Cessna spelled with an "S" like the decals they sent me?). Other than the spelling snafu the plane does look good. One of my ailerons is really bowed but the iron should flatten it. Did you guys catch in the instructions the way they kept refering to "the world models cessna"? Does this company make both planes? The World models version is the same size and weight with different wingtips. What do you guys think? Steve.:)

KAR
10-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi Steve

Are you sure we got the same plane? I bought this one: http://www.nitroplanes.com/cesk1541arfn.html

I didn't see any reference to World Models or many words at all in my instructions. No mis-spelled Cessna either.

Kevin

WWI Ace
10-08-2006, 12:29 AM
I have the same plane. The decals that go on the vertical stab on mine are spelled "Sessna" not "Cessna". The references to World Models are in step 2, step 5, step 6 where it is talking about the control horns. Cessna is not misspelled anywhere in the instruction booklet except where it shows a picture of the decals. It is a great looking plane though. I'm really glad you guys led me to it!! I just thought the World Models references, the fact that the wingspan, weight, and length are the same, as well as the fact that neither one of them has steerable nose gear made me wonder if the same factory makes both planes. I like the blue scheme it has. It's a nice change from all the red ones!! Let me know what you guys decide to use for a motor. I'm leaning toward the Eflite 480 outrunner if it will fit in the cowl properly. Steve.

KAR
10-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Steve,

You are right. I was looking at the pics and it has Cessna spelled correctly but on my actual sticker it says Sessna. HA...that is awesome.

My instruction book says nothing about World models though.

KAR
10-08-2006, 12:43 AM
Oh yeah Steve, for my motor setup, see post 11. I havent settled on a prop size yet since I will need to check the amperage to do that. I'm going to try to use a 10 inch prop if theres ground clearance.

WWI Ace
10-08-2006, 04:13 AM
I think they suggest an 8x6. I figured that was because of clearance issues. That's funny that your instructions do not mention World Models but mine does!! Oh well, I guess neither one of us can use our Sessna decals!!! Steve.

KAR
10-08-2006, 08:21 AM
I think they suggest an 8x6. I figured that was because of clearance issues. That's funny that your instructions do not mention World Models but mine does!! Oh well, I guess neither one of us can use our Sessna decals!!! Steve.

I love the fact that it's spelled wrong. I wonder how many they made like that. The only thing stopping me from using the stickers, is that I don't want to destroy them when the plane crashes which it inevitably will (I like to do inverted touch-and-go's when I fly and sometimes I don't make it). I kind of want to build a display model though, and use the stickers on IT.

I just did a quick visual on the prop and it looks like the 10's a no-go but I'm pretty sure I can do a nine...which probably means I'll be going with a 9x6 or 7. That should create a lot of wind with the Hacker motor.

KAR
10-14-2006, 06:03 AM
OK, here it is.

Having finished the Nitro Models Cessna and flying it today....I now realize that this plane is NOT FOR BEGINNERS. Maybe its my fault for setting it up so hot but really it's only one ounce heavier than the advertised weight of 23 oz. This plane was clearly designed for good scale looks and not slow flying. It has a high stall speed so you have to keep it moving fast, even for landings. Also, since it does not have a steerable nose wheel it is important that you take some extra time to get it rolling absolutely straight before you fly...at those speeds the landing could get ugly if the plane turns as soon as it hits the ground. I ended up cutting into the firewall a bit to get the tip of the nose gear "wire" to recess a bit. If you needed to go the other way you could shim it out a bit. I also mounted the nose gear as low as possible for maximum clearance to allow a large prop (10x4.7)

I deviated from my original plan of shooting for a long run time and simply used a 1350 mah Apex 3s pack since I have many of them. I don't have any interest in using a larger battery cause any more weight would just make it even harder to fly. The Hacker A30-28s is rated at a max current of 25 amps for 15 seconds. With the APC 10x4.7 slow flyer prop, I'm drawing about 30 amps WOT static for about 300 watts. The voltage drops fast. In just a few seconds the wattage is down below 250 or so. My batteries are rated at 15c (about 20 amps) so that concerned me as well. My plan was to just fly conservatively and not burn anything up. That all went out the window as soon as I started to fly. That thing went straight up with more intensity than anything else I own, and it was a blast. It does great rolls and flies inverted fairly well. A guy at the field said he runs the Hacker motors at 1.5 times the max amp rating and never has any problems so I figure I'm fine with this setup. The actual flying amperage will be a lot less too. I didn't experience any cut-outs from low voltage under load, even at WOT straight up till it was....way high. I kept the flight times down to about five minutes at a time but with this wild of a ride, its enough. My battery was warm but not too hot, and had about 25 to 30 percent capacity left. It should do 7 or 8 minutes ok...even longer if you fly normal.

So who should be flying this plane? If you have experience with fast moving fully aerobatic planes you should be able to handle it. Just don't expect it to look scale while flying.

One thing I do recommend is to use a radio that has enough channels to be able to make the ailerons double as flaps. That would slow down the landings anyway. I plan to do this in the future but all my radios are 4 channel.

I used a lot more aileron throw than the instructions called for. The book said 8 but I went with about 13. I know it makes it more twitchy but if its going to be aerobatic anyway....

I used Hitec HS55 servos and had to lengthen the servo slots slightly to make 'em fit. I also did away with the set screw type control rod swivels and just used Z bends on the servo end. Nothing to come loose. The short overall length of the plane makes up and down input touchy as well. This plane is fun to fly, You just have to be on your toes and not expect it to be a stable flyer with self correcting tendencies, cause it isn't.

I did get a lot of attention at the field though. Upon take of, one kid said "WHOA THAT THING'S FAST". As soon as I touched down for landing I looked up and all the other people at the field were standing in a line watching.

I had one glitch while aproaching the runway for the last time that nearly ran the plane into the ground, but I just narrowly saved it. Still in one piece and not a scratch.

This is not a negative review by the way. It is merely a "holy cow, this plane is so not what I thought it was" review.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. If anyone has any questions or suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. Steve, I'd love to hear how yours is coming and what components you are using.

Kevin

WWI Ace
10-14-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm hoping to go to my LHS today and start looking for a power system. I'm leaning toward either a Eflite 450 or 480 outrunner. I've had good experience with these motors. I hope this plane doesn't end up being faster than my Alfa Corsair with the outrunner. It's about a 60mph plane at full throttle!!!! Steve.

KAR
10-14-2006, 07:18 PM
Don't be too surprised if it does keep up with that Corsair. I'd bet money that my Cessna goes at least 60 mph at WOT.

That Eflight 450 should make it move pretty fast too.

If your goal is to keep it slow, check out these little motors, or something similar.
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/littlescreamers.htm

The "Purple Peril" makes 22 ounces of thrust. That would be a 1:1 power to weight ratio.

They only weigh about 25 grams. That would be over 1.5 ounces lighter than mine in the nose, and you could also use a lighter speed control.

I kind of like the fact that mine is so fast though. It's a total sleeper. No one would expect a plane that looks like that to fly like war bird. I will have to find something else for my brother to fly though since he is still learning to fly with 3 channel.

Maybe I should build another one and see how slow I can make it.

Jonah
10-23-2006, 01:12 AM
Yo!..I went for an ARTECH Cessna 182 4 channel over a year ago...I was fortunate to get a deal with spare wing,stab and tail section, but never used them as I got into experimenting with repairing the damage. Boy was there some of that! I broke the fuselage into 3, the wings too, all went back together successfully if not a little tattilly at close quarters. But she continued to fly and respond well in spite of the constant added weight. The only part I did replace was the motor, one nose in too many bent the shaft,well I replaced the standard supplied 400 brushed for a 480 brushed. This made no difference to the general characteristics appart from improving rates of climb and top speed, she still throttled down nicelly to a sedate cruise though. The only downside of the model really, I thought the ailoron linkage system was a bit naff, a central servo pushing/pulling a wire to the controll surface horn. But I only drew that conclusion after I broke the wing into 3 parts and proceded to get a spot of glue on the wire so it jammed every so often!!...Also, I could only get supplied with a mode 1 transmitter with the package, it was 40mHz too which is no good in the U.K. if you want to fly it at your club. I've sold the whole lot on now....but am seriously thinking of buying the same next summer.....now I'm more experienced I might be able to keep the damage down....HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

QuietRCFly
12-31-2006, 07:07 PM
The Hyperion Cessna 182 Skylane "10e" is now in stock.

Come check it out today at: www.quietrcflying.com (http://www.quietrcflying.com)

dogfight
01-07-2007, 03:34 PM
Kar I have a NIB Wattage 182 if your interested. Rick

diablo
01-08-2007, 04:44 AM
I want the balsa one

KAR
01-08-2007, 06:09 AM
Kar I have a NIB Wattage 182 if your interested. Rick
Thanks dogfight, but I have enough planes for now.

bert269
01-29-2007, 04:10 PM
Kevin, et al.

Well I finally got to my Nitroplanes Cessna over the last weekend and it is almost finished. I just need to stop this afternoon at the LHS and get the right prop and spinner. Will see if I cannot maiden it this weekend (if the weather permits). I will also report on the Wattage I get out of the system, weight, etc - once I have the correct prop installed.

Everyone still happy with their Cessnas?

Bert

bert269
01-31-2007, 12:40 AM
OK, I put the Cessna on the scale today and it came out (with 4s Lipo 8000mah) at 6.8lb (3083g). According to the specs, it should have been 2500-2850g. But I contribute that to the lipo pack. This alone weighs 735g - so I think I am pretty much in specs.

I run the Wattmeter today on the plane. I got about 8790RPMS, 43Amps and 711Watts and this was on a 12 X 8E prop. Not sure if this is going to be too much power I draw from the battery, because the whole wiring system feels a bit warm when I switched it off. I think I should go with a smaller prop. This is a Jeti 40opto ESC, with the Axi 2826/10 motor.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks
Bert

UncleBob
02-07-2007, 11:06 PM
The misspelled Cessna could be intentional due to CW or Trademark concerns maybe. The fact that only the stickers are spelt wrong sort of makes sense in that context.

KAR
06-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I don't know if anyone else out there is flying this plane but I thought I would do an update on what I've done with this 41" wingspan Cessna from Nitroplanes. http://www.nitroplanes.com/cesk1541arfn.html
I sold the grossly overpowered Hacker A30-28S that was in it and put in a cheap Suppo B2208-17 motor that only weighs 40g and the combo ESC that comes with it only weighs 15g. The combo only costs $15 from a local dealer. I also am using a ThunderPower prolite 910mah 3s battery. With a 9x4.7 prop it draws about 115 watts.
The receiver is a Spektrum AR6100 park flyer. Also all wires and plugs are absolute minimum required to reduce weight...small deans two-pin battery plug and direct solder of wires from motor to ESC. I also left the side windows out so I can quick change the battery that sits just in front of the servos...and also reduce more weight.
The result is that I shaved the weight from 23oz, down to 18.8oz (534g) and this also allowed me to get the CG back a bit without adding weight. It is now a great flying plane. Slows down nicely for landings too. The amazing thing is that this plane will fly upside down with virtually no down elevator input. I've never seen this type of plane do that. Maybe a combination of CG and the wind drag of the landing gear when inverted. You could probably find a better motor with the same amount of power and even less weight but this one was so cheap that there's virtually nothing to loose if you crash.

dk_aero
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Yo!..I went for an ARTECH Cessna 182 4 channel over a year ago...I was fortunate to get a deal with spare wing,stab and tail section, but never used them as I got into experimenting with repairing the damage. Boy was there some of that! I broke the fuselage into 3, the wings too, all went back together successfully if not a little tattilly at close quarters. But she continued to fly and respond well in spite of the constant added weight. The only part I did replace was the motor, one nose in too many bent the shaft,well I replaced the standard supplied 400 brushed for a 480 brushed. This made no difference to the general characteristics appart from improving rates of climb and top speed, she still throttled down nicelly to a sedate cruise though. The only downside of the model really, I thought the ailoron linkage system was a bit naff, a central servo pushing/pulling a wire to the controll surface horn. But I only drew that conclusion after I broke the wing into 3 parts and proceded to get a spot of glue on the wire so it jammed every so often!!...Also, I could only get supplied with a mode 1 transmitter with the package, it was 40mHz too which is no good in the U.K. if you want to fly it at your club. I've sold the whole lot on now....but am seriously thinking of buying the same next summer.....now I'm more experienced I might be able to keep the damage down....HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I also have the Artech Cessna... but mine came brushless with lipo and 4 servos (no clunky aileron linkage - a servo for each aileron). I replaced the stock receiver with a AR6100. Maidened it today and flew nice, although a little tail heavy (sensitive pitch). Cruises at 1/3 throttle. A nice plane, but definitely not a beginners plane (nose wheel steering was reversed and mount is weak, motor mount mounting weak, and ailerons mounting was "naff"... alignment way off. After fixes, she seems to be a good flyer...

Alpea42
06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Here's the Nitro cessna I just finished for minnsteve hope to maiden it this weekend . Thanks for the info on your set up Kar. We have a Turnigy 2830 1100 Kv B L outrunner =400 .Probably try a 1000 ma 3 s lipo. Was the 2.4" from L E for C G correct? With the wing area it looks like a good gliding flyer.Minnisteve likes to fly inverted he'll be happy to read your post.

KAR
06-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Yes, the plane sits perfectly level at 2.4 from LE. Keep the plane as light as possible it it will fly great. Mine with the 910mah prolites is only 18.8oz. What's your all up weight?

Good luck with the maiden, let me know how it goes.

Alpea42
06-14-2008, 03:02 AM
dont have a prop or Rx on it yet but with a 1500ma 3s lipo it's 23 oz. so you did really good keepin yours at 19 oz.

KAR
06-15-2008, 05:14 AM
Here it is flying inverted. As you can see there's little or no elevator input.

It doesn't have enough power to go vertical for very long but it can hang by the prop for a little while.

ministeve2003
06-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I maidened My Nitroplanes Cessna today... It flew very well...

Running 4 hxt900 Servos
Turnigy 28x30x1050Kv Brushless Outrunner
1300 10c 3cell lipo... I'd Perfer 20c...
apc 9x3.8 prop, I would have used a 9x4.7 but I forgot to pick more up...LOL

Flew Great, Inverted Flight looks great on these birds... 2250 3cell battery on this Should give you easy 20-25min flight...a little more if your easy on throttle, but will be a little heavy... Build it light and it will float much better and get rid of that stall.... Mine had no problem slowflight...
SK

KAR
06-15-2008, 06:22 AM
Awesome, glad you like it. I wouldn't go any larger than a 1350mah pack. When I first flew mine it was 24oz and it had a real stall problem. I had to fly it like a jet fighter. It was fun, but I like it better now that its a real floater. I just got some 20c 1000mah Zippy K LiPos from Hobbycity and they work pretty well too and at only 13 bucks a pack its a steal.

Alpea42
06-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Kar that post by Minnisteve was in regards to the plane I built for him. Yeah we got some 1000ma li-pos back ordered from Hobby City. Sure looks good in the air , your pics are awesome.

KAR
06-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Kar that post by Minnisteve was in regards to the plane I built for him. Yeah we got some 1000ma li-pos back ordered from Hobby City. Sure looks good in the air , your pics are awesome.

Thanks. I hope he gets many good flights out of it. I've got about 7 hours of airtime on mine with the cheap $7 motor and all, and its still going strong. I enjoy flying this little thing so much that I have an extra one still new in the box.