PDA

View Full Version : Parallel vs Serial Pack connections: what works and why

laxlife
09-08-2005, 03:07 AM
OK since its back to school time in most places and I recall that there are no dumb questions. I wonder if some kind soul can help me understand paralell vs. serial connections of lbattery packs. When does one use a parallel connection and when a serial connection? What would the ESC "see" from the power source parallel vs serial in terms of volts, amps and the resulting watts? How do I know if my ESC can survive a serial or parallel hookup before it melts down? How do I calculate what brushless motors can survive under these connections. Also, how about some pictures that show a parallel wiring setup vs a serial setup. I know one can also use a circuit board but those aren't as intuitive for me; I'd like to be able to pickup a wiring harness and be able to discern whether it creates a parallel or a serial connection. Thanks for our patience and advice.

Geoff_Gino
09-08-2005, 06:45 AM
Hi

Take a look at the attached pic which really makes things quite obvious. If you have a volt meter, 3 or 6 volt globe and an ammeter some quick measurements will "shine a light".

In the meantime be patient and I'll find the thread that you need to be in and let you have it.

Geoff

Geoff_Gino
09-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Geoff again.

Perhaps the easiest way of remembering the cell count and configuration for LiPo's is this:- a single LiPo cell delivers 3,7 volts at a given current, now connect another cell in series to this for 7,4 volt, and another in series to those for 11,1 volt. All the cells must be of the same capacity (i.e. the amount of amps it can deliver). The P in the battery description is the number of cells connected in parallel, this is done to increase the capacity of the pack. Please feel free to PM me if you would like more info.

Geoff

laxlife
09-08-2005, 12:15 PM
:)