PDA

View Full Version : zero colors & design

arizonajoe
09-09-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm looking for the colors and the design that was used from early models during the war. I remember that they were yellow, with red. Can anybody help:confused:

geo8498@mac.com
09-10-2005, 04:05 AM
Depends on the squadron. Different carriers had different stripes. Try the squadron Publications book on the zero. $15

Or you could just do a Google for A6M2. You could check out some of the scale modelers websites. Here's a link to one.

http://www.j-aircraft.com/gallery/navy/a6m2_gallery.htm

flypaper 2
09-11-2005, 04:01 AM
A good book to get or check out at the library is called Flying Colors. One of my more prized books.

arizonajoe
09-11-2005, 04:06 PM
zGEO8498 & FLYPAPER2, Thank you very much for valuable information. I needed help on this project. arizonajoe

CorsairJock
09-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Here is link to the best source of Zero color schemes that I have seen yet:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/ZERO_TRIM_SCHEME%27S___46_of_them%21/m_1738279/tm.htm

arizonajoe
09-13-2005, 12:18 PM
Thank You CORSAIRJOCK...This was exactly what I was looking for. I'll need more information in the furture of differwent details but this is just great. arizonajoe.r

Sky Sharkster
09-25-2005, 03:30 AM
Hi Joe, I've been following the thread, good info. I'm just finishing a GWS Zero (slope kit) that will have a HiMaxx 4200 with 6:1 Cobri gearbox, C.C. 25A ESC and 3C 1320 or 2100 LiPos. I did mine in light gray, like the back cover of "Squadron/Signal Aircraft 59- A6M Zero". Used Rust-oleum "Painter's Touch" Winter Gray#1982, this is about one shade darker than the colors shown on the center pages but matches the back page exactly. I posted a note on "Scale Electric" Forum yesterday regarding a weathering technique using pastel colored pencils, might be of interest. Good Luck! Sky Sharkster

arizonajoe
09-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Hi Mr. SKY, I'd like to see your ZERO. It sounds like it would really move and look well too. I'm almost finished with mine and I'll post descripion soon . Joe

Sky Sharkster
09-25-2005, 11:01 PM
Hi Joe, thanks for the kind words! I test flew the Zero today, it was a touch tail-heavy with the 1320 3S Lipos and a real handful to fly but the 2100 3S cured the problem...I was looping, inverted, rolls (a little slow, need more aileron throw), split S's on the 2nd flight. It is easy to fly unless you get it too slow-them it whips into a tip stall but recovery is quick, a bit more airspeed and everything's OK again. Don't know if you've followed the thread on "E-Zone" regarding the Zero wing incidence, seems it was designed for a less powerful motor and they built-in 3 degrees of wing incidence, which it DEFINITELY doesn't need with higher power motors like brushless. It will "zoom" up off the launch and need lots of downtrim to fly level. I shaved the rear bolt mount 3/32" to raise the wing T.E. during construction and still needed 2 clicks of down trim for level flight at 1/2 throttle. Also, before I added the downtrim I flipped it inverted and it dove down about 30 degrees. The trim corrected that problem, after my heart stopped pounding!
Now I'm just waiting for those "Corsairs" to show up! Good Flying, Ron

flypaper 2
09-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Ron:
A couple of things to make it fly a little better. I bent the ail. wires a bit forward, about 1/8 in. to put in some ail differential. makes it roll more axially and quicker and less chance of tipstalling. Flew like a pattern plane till a servo shorted out. In the middle of building another one.:p

Sky Sharkster
09-26-2005, 09:59 AM
To Gord, thanks for the tip, buddy! I think you've helped solve the problem. I used a circle (disc) servo arm to get differential with the pushrods in the rearward holes. got the differential but very little throw, which is why ( I guess) it was sluggish in roll response. Now, using the bend in the torque arms I can use a longer servo arm and get more throw! Good tip, thanks again, Ron