PDA

View Full Version : Park zone P51 Stang of Wulf

Mr.Clean
10-06-2006, 05:02 AM
I have been flying a Stryker B for a bout a year now and I have been looking at the P51 Mustang and the Fock Wulf. I was thinking about getting one or the other and I was wondering if any one might have some advice on which is the better plane. Any input on either plane is welcome.

Thank You
Clean

Grasshopper
10-06-2006, 05:22 AM
Hi Mr. Clean,

I flew the P-51 for several months and enjoyed it very much. I just sold it last week. I've not flown the Focke Wulf but I understand it is a good flying plane. It'a also my understanding they made some improvements to the Fock Wulf like putting the battery hatch on top instead of the bottom of the nose.

I think both of them are great looking planes.

ducatirdr
10-06-2006, 06:50 PM
The FW190 is a great flying Parkzone plane. Having heard all the issues with the Mustang I have held off the expense of adding it to my RTF hanger.

I had a maiden crash with my FW as it was about 40 yards out when it went in with no control. I sent it back to Hobbyzone and they replaced it as the controller was bad on full power. Other than that I've been very happy with its feel in the air and ease of use. I wish it had a bit more power for climb out after a low pass run but as far as all the comments about the Mustang being a tip stalling, soft nosed (easily dammaged) plane... The FW has none of these tendencies. It slows down for landings very well. I run it at full trottle all the time, use low rates for the first few minutes and then go to high rates for spins and pattern stuff, then back to low for landings. The airframe has taken a few bangs as I fly over high grass and once on landing a wingtip with caught a milkweed stalk mixed into the grass causing a nice spin into the ground nose first. I expected some repair but the soft base of grass and the integrity of the plane showed no damage. I fly in mostly no wind conditions but have flown in gusty 10+ stuff. It bounces the plane around as you'd expect.

I think it is worth the money for a step toward low wing, aileron warbird. My next step is getting something bigger for non park flying.

Grasshopper
10-06-2006, 07:48 PM
The FW190 is a great flying Parkzone plane. Having heard all the issues with the Mustang I have held off the expense of adding it to my RTF hanger.

I had a maiden crash with my FW as it was about 40 yards out when it went in with no control. I sent it back to Hobbyzone and they replaced it as the controller was bad on full power. Other than that I've been very happy with its feel in the air and ease of use. I wish it had a bit more power for climb out after a low pass run but as far as all the comments about the Mustang being a tip stalling, soft nosed (easily dammaged) plane... The FW has none of these tendencies. It slows down for landings very well. I run it at full trottle all the time, use low rates for the first few minutes and then go to high rates for spins and pattern stuff, then back to low for landings. The airframe has taken a few bangs as I fly over high grass and once on landing a wingtip with caught a milkweed stalk mixed into the grass causing a nice spin into the ground nose first. I expected some repair but the soft base of grass and the integrity of the plane showed no damage. I fly in mostly no wind conditions but have flown in gusty 10+ stuff. It bounces the plane around as you'd expect.

I think it is worth the money for a step toward low wing, aileron warbird. My next step is getting something bigger for non park flying.

The Mustang was the same. I never got around to switching it over to lipos, but I had heard it made a noticable difference. I didn't have a problem with the tip stalling but I typically brought it in a little hot and set it into pretty soft grass. I found the landings to be much easier than the hand launches. I did the exact same thing with the dual rates too. Low rate for take off and landings and high rate in flight. I almost always flew at WOT too.

DetroitHawk
10-06-2006, 10:38 PM
The 190 is the way to go. Easy to fly, really a nice looking plane too. I added a non geared hacker brushless to the plane and it hauls ballz.

http://media.putfile.com/Fw190-first-flight

It can be hand launched at a 80 degrees, almost strait up.

Mr.Clean
10-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Thank you for the replys.

Mr.Clean
10-07-2006, 04:52 AM
Hey here is a newbie question. I hope I don't sound too stupid. In the specs for the FW 150 it states It uses a 480 motor with a 3:1 gear reduction. What is gear reduction? I am assuming that it means that I will get three revolutions if the propeller for one turn of the motor because the plane needs more power? If this is the case wouldn't this be accomplisted by simply adding a lipo battery? Is gear reduction common in planes? I only have experience with a firebird commander and a stryker so I am still learning.

Grasshopper
10-07-2006, 05:01 AM
Hi Mr. Clean,

If I understand it correctly, it means that for every three revolutions of the pinion gear on the motor shaft, you will get one revolution of the prop shaft.

Tom

DetroitHawk
10-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Hey here is a newbie question. I hope I don't sound too stupid. In the specs for the FW 150 it states It uses a 480 motor with a 3:1 gear reduction. What is gear reduction? I am assuming that it means that I will get three revolutions if the propeller for one turn of the motor because the plane needs more power? If this is the case wouldn't this be accomplisted by simply adding a lipo battery? Is gear reduction common in planes? I only have experience with a firebird commander and a stryker so I am still learning.

The prop turns once for every 3 of the motor. This allows you get swing a larger prop while still drawing low amps from the motor which produces more thrust.

On my FW190 i took the gear reduction out and just put a brushless motor in.

Mr.Clean
10-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Thank You.