PDA

View Full Version : Electrics are taking over

Grasshopper
10-08-2006, 02:54 AM
Kind of funny, this morning a friend of mine and I drove over to a nearby town that was having an RC Swap Meet in the town Civic Center. Part of the swap meet was a raffle for several ARFs, some miscellaneous stuff and a gallon of nitro fuel.

I thought that it was pretty funny and a preview of the way the hobby is changing when they raffled off the fuel. The person that won it said he had no use for it any more since he is all electric now. He turned it back into the raffle. The second person that won it also passed on it as did the third and fourth winners. They finally just sold it for $5.

The friend I was with is my neighbor that I recently got hooked into this addition. At the raffle, he first won a set of 2 1/2" foam wheels, then he won a .40 size Cessna ARF new in the box. He's now trying to decide what to do to sell it or trade since he doesn't want to get tinto glow but is looking for a second plane.

All said my day was like this:

Gas to drive over - $8.00
Toll fees - $1.00
Lunch - $5.90
Donation to club raffle - $6.00
Driving my friend back home while he gloats about his new Cessna - Priceless!

firemanbill
10-08-2006, 05:09 AM
I know what you mean Tom. We went to Hobbytown today, (yeah I know but it is close!:eek: ) to pick up a few items.

When I first got into flying they were about 50/50 on gas to electric. Went in today and I saw one Nexstar box sitting in the corner covered in dust and everything else was electric. They had one small section of the case with glow motors and 3 or 4 cases of the good stuff!

Crash Test Dummy
10-08-2006, 05:25 AM
My Local Hobby Town has more Electric gear in stock than Glo stuff, LOL!!! I have been brainwashing the owner!! Many of our club members are converting to Electric. They see how easy it is for me, I just unpack the trunk and fly. No messy clean up and 99.9% of the time my planes actually fly. No having to tune my engine or worry about dead sticking her in. They are all seeeing the light!!! :D

CTD

floridawen
05-18-2009, 03:22 PM
That's GREAT to hear the switch to ELECTRIC is among you NOW........... unfortunately MY RC CLUB has a fantastic flying field and nice bunch of guys (well MOST of them) but it's 97%+ gas / nitro and only three (actually four including ME) of us members out of 138+ are into ELECTRICS....... we are the "laughed at minority" by all the old-time-slimers !! :mad: