PDA

View Full Version : Speed 400 Replacement

simibill
09-10-2005, 04:35 PM
I have a Rambler EP which has a speed 400 motor with a 2.43:1 gearbox. I would like to find a direct replacement brushless motor and gearbox that would fit in the Rambler's tight confines. I really don't need more power, but brushless is the way to go, and the plastic gearbox doesn't seem like it will hold up well in the long run. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

*The very best is barely good enough*

Ribcracker
09-11-2005, 03:27 AM
The Ultrafly A series motors are designed to be direct replacements for speed 400 motors. They will drop right into your gearbox (which you might as well use until it DOES crap out). You will be absolutely dazzled by the performance improvement. My favorite is the A/30/24. Wow...what a hotshot.

Dr Kiwi
09-11-2005, 04:50 AM
The Ultrafly A series motors are designed to be direct replacements for speed 400 motors. They will drop right into your gearbox (which you might as well use until it DOES crap out). You will be absolutely dazzled by the performance improvement. My favorite is the A/30/24. Wow...what a hotshot.

Why not get the matched motor/gearbox with three ratios! http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_datasheets/ultraflygearbox.htm

Cheers, Phil

simibill
09-11-2005, 05:24 PM
The specs for the A/30/24 says shaft diameter is 2.3mm while the standard Speed 400 shaft diameter is 3.2mm. Is this a missprint for the Ultrafly?

Ribcracker
09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Bill,
The motor shaft for the A/30/24 and the speed 400 are the same at 2.3mm.
It is the output shaft of the gearbox (prop shaft) that is 3.2mm.
If you can, put a dial caliper on your 400 and you'll see.
Get ready for some real thrills.
Peace,
Bud

Twmaster
09-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Yup Speed 400 motors are 2.3MM. Speed 540/600 motors are 3.2MM (1/8"). Also there are lots of good prop adapters available for 1/8" shafts.

Ribcracker
09-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Ultrafly has 2 versions in the A Series. You can reach one of two goals. With the A/30/29 you get a power boost of 50%+ (over the speed 400) with a 10-15% higher current draw. With the A/30/24 you extend the flying time by 30% and gain 10-15% more power but only draw 85% of the original current.
The 24 draws about 13 amps and the 29 draws about 16. Max input wattage is 180W.

simibill
09-12-2005, 01:45 PM
Well I ordered an Ultrafly A/30/24 based upon recommendations here. I'll post my experience when set up.

Thanks all who commented.

Ribcracker
09-13-2005, 01:11 AM
simibill,
If you end up using the Ultrafly gearbox (like I do) and bend a lot of output shafts (like I do) you'll probably want to lay in a supply of shafts. I get mine from Tower for $3.79 apiece. Unfortunately, they won't interchange with the GWS and E-flite shafts so they've got you there. Item # is UFLG1740.
Peace,
Bud

simibill
09-13-2005, 02:24 AM
Ribcracker,
Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, I need to use the gearbox provided with the Rambler as it is what mounts the motor and is specific to the installation due to tight confines in the nose.

HX3D014
06-14-2009, 11:49 PM
simibill,
If you end up using the Ultrafly gearbox (like I do) and bend a lot of output shafts (like I do) you'll probably want to lay in a supply of shafts. I get mine from Tower for $3.79 apiece. Unfortunately, they won't interchange with the GWS and E-flite shafts so they've got you there. Item # is UFLG1740.
Peace,
Bud

UFLG1740.

hehe. it was 5 years ago that you posted this info. Any Idea of where I might be able to Get the Output shafts ?

Looking everywhere at the moment. Currently on day one of Exploration.
While I am At it, i am Looking for the Bearings and The Plastic housing could be Replaced while I am At it. I have the Motor and Gear cogs in working order.

Bryce.

Ribcracker
06-15-2009, 03:17 AM
Dang! I sent all of my gearbox stuff, including about six of those shafts, to a kid named GreenAce who posts here. But that was about a year ago.
Hobby People, here in the states, still carries the Ultrafly products so that's a possibility. I'll do some digging myself and let you know if I come up with anything.
Bud

HX3D014
06-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Dang! I sent all of my gearbox stuff, including about six of those shafts, to a kid named GreenAce who posts here. But that was about a year ago.
Hobby People, here in the states, still carries the Ultrafly products so that's a possibility. I'll do some digging myself and let you know if I come up with anything.
Bud
Thanks Ribcracker for the quick response. I am getting the Idea that Great Planes is not Producing the gear, just offloading what was left ?
Have Ultra fly gone down the Tube ?

I am beginning to look for Gearbox's for that motor. I feel That I should get the Foam I have had for a while Now , The Foam that is formed in the shape of an Extra 300s, and just forget that It was ever going to be a Beautiful bird in the sky and Just Hack some sort of Mount. I wonder If I can use the rear mount system style and just run it Direct drive. Dam, Now I may need to practice using the Motor Prop calculators that are available. Just Gota find one again. Stick mounts were easy.

Thanks Again. I will put the Extra Aside until it is Whole again. and now Focus for the Time being on My forth and Last (to date ;)) Airplane, the Katana Mini. I have all I need and Parts are Available. (NB The only two I have in Working order, almost, is the Extra and the Katan. I had a GWS Tiger Moth, But, that one got torn from its upper wings and H-Stab @ 50ft up while in a Power on Spiral Dive.

I feel I may even put that aside, and just purchase an under powered heavily Dihedral’d trainer, Some thing inherantly Stable, that way the Kid can have a go http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Ribcracker
06-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Bryce,
To the best of my knowledge any gear box that will accommodate a 400 size motor
will work with your Ultrafly A series. You'll need appropriate pinion gears which you can order when you get the box.
You can run the A series motors direct-drive if you use them with smaller props. I still have my A/30/24 and use it to push my MPX Funjet with a 5X5" prop.
Is there an LHS in the Sydney area where you can walk in with the motor and say, "I need a gearbox and pinion for this."?

HX3D014
06-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Bryce,
To the best of my knowledge any gear box that will accommodate a 400 size motor
will work with your Ultrafly A series. You'll need appropriate pinion gears which you can order when you get the box.
You can run the A series motors direct-drive if you use them with smaller props. I still have my A/30/24 and use it to push my MPX Funjet with a 5X5" prop.
Is there an LHS in the Sydney area where you can walk in with the motor and say, "I need a gearbox and pinion for this."?

There are a few LHS, will sus it out and see what is around.

Thanks for the direct Prop details, It is now an option I hope I do not need. but is a can do :D.

Fingers crossed it is affordable here in sydney ;)