PDA

View Full Version : News flash ---- Plane Hits building in NY (no joke)

firemanbill
10-11-2006, 08:41 PM
I am sitting here watching Fox news about a stroy of a plane hitting a high rise in NYC!:eek:

I thought at first it was some kind of 9-11 replay but it is real, and live! They are saying it appears to be an accident.

Boy does this bring back memories...:(

aviatordave
10-11-2006, 10:01 PM
sad but true. it appears it was owned by a NY yankess pitcher and he's feared dead. the news (cnn) is still gathering facts at the moment.

Dave

dmmalish
10-11-2006, 10:14 PM
its a sad day in aviation and a sad day in baseball our prayers are with cory and his family and the other familys involved in this incedent

firemanbill
10-12-2006, 03:32 AM
It is very sad, very sad indeed. What is even more sad, I think, is that just about everyone I talked to at my sons track meet this evening upon learning it was an accident and not terrorist, said "oh good"!:eek:

"OH GOOD!??? How can an accident that took peoples lives be thought about as good... I know it's realative but it's just sad that we think like that now...:(

On a different note, did anyone see the news report about that plane having a parachute? What a novel idea for a light plane... I guess in theory if you are not headed toward a building and you a problem you can pull the cord, it cuts the engine and this big chute pops out the top of the plane and you float gently to the ground... Too bad it didn't help today.

vax6335
10-12-2006, 08:55 PM
It's a BRS parachute system. They have a very good history for saving lives and planes. Mostly used for ultralights, but they have larger kits for bigger planes. If I ever build an ultralight, it's gonna get a BRS.
Website here:
http://www.brsparachutes.com

TLyttle
10-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Just saw a followup on this, outlining how difficult their flight path was. Same as flying into a box canyon, only way out is a very steep turn, and a VERY experienced pilot. At least a box canyon doesn't have a height restriction (though I've seen them topped with low cloud), not the case on the East River...

firemanbill
10-13-2006, 02:28 AM
I saw that too, or one similar anyway... a heck of a manuever to make a general aviation pilot have to make in that type of environment...

Bill Harris
10-15-2006, 02:46 AM
It looks like he was sightseeing in VFR airspace. He took off from Teterboro airport in New Jersey, circled the Statue of Liberty, flew 6 miles up the East River, turned a 180 at too low an altitude or stalled and flew into the building. The VFR airspace on East River is 2000' wide and has an altitude ceiling of 1100'. It ends with controlled airspace from LaGuardia and the pilot has contact the control tower or turn around before entering. I've heard that he was at 700' agl when he made the sharp turn and there wasn't much room for error.

Attached is an aerial photo from TerraServer with the final path drawn in.

--Bill

firemanbill
10-15-2006, 03:04 AM
I also heard today they have closed that area off to fixed wing general aviation craft. Heli's can still fly it though.

'A day late and a dollar short" as my Granny used to say!:(