PDA

View Full Version : Parkzone P51D Mustang

jcblough
10-12-2006, 02:07 AM
I've been digging around on search and I found the RCU review. I figured there'd be more around than I found considering the popularity of the mustang and the PZ planes. I'm guessing based mainly on the review that this plane is strictly "meh" as far as out of the box flying ability goes? Is the FW 190 that better of a flyer?

ducatirdr
10-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Not sure what "meh" is but I went witht he FW190 and it flies great. I hear the Mustang is like all Mustang's. It flies fast and needs a bit of speed to keep from stalling. When it does stall it usually flips over and heads quickly for the ground. The FW doesn't have that snap spin stall issue. It stalls and drops its nose. I may get the Mustang as its a great looking kit but I'm also moving up to something faster as the 480 geared motors in these planes are just a bit short for power. Sure they can fly with them but having a bit of extra power to pull you out of trouble these planes don't have. They do get up a head of steam and fly great at speed but quickly run out of speed when you ask them to climb at anything above a normal slow climb out.

I spend most of my time with the FW getting up speed in a shallow dive, perform a fast low fly by pull up and then I carefully feed in some down to keep the airspeed from falling too low by reducing climb angle on the climb out. If you don't watch your speed with these guys they stall and you lose your control for a few moments until you get your air speed back up.

Does anyone know if the Typhoon motor/mount/gear drive fits into the FW? The Powerzone and that might be what I'm looking for.

jcblough
10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I guess by "meh" I meant strictly average in performance. I love the looks of the plane, but reading the review in rc universe, I think it got a 3/5 on performance and acrobatics which kinda turned me off. I want a warbird, but I don't necessarily want one bad enough to do a kit or an arf and run it w/ lipos, brushless, etc on my dx6.

alienx
10-12-2006, 04:51 PM
I think the FW had the advantage of novelty, and it was released after the P51. If PZ released another RTF warbird, I think the FW would fall out of favor and all the posts would be about the new plane.

I have the PZ P51. I bought it as a step-up from my Cub a while back, but flew it about three times (hard landed it once) and moved on. It did what it was supposed to do, very well at that. But I moved on to other planes with brushless motors and lipos. I just never felt the need to look back at my P51, which is sitting in my front room now next to my cub.

Andy

jcblough
10-12-2006, 04:53 PM
I think I'm kinda spoiled by my typhoon w/ lipos and the dx6 so I'm afraid anything less than that kind of performance will feel like a let down.

alienx
10-12-2006, 04:59 PM
I think I'm kinda spoiled by my typhoon w/ lipos and the dx6 so I'm afraid anything less than that kind of performance will feel like a let down.
I don't know anything about the typhoon, but in general, I agree. I flew my E-flite P47 once, and never took my PZ planes out again. And I loved them when I was using them. I even bought parts to upgrade the performance of the cub. But now they are collecting dust. There seem to be smarter ways to get a P51 than getting a PZ.

jcblough
10-12-2006, 08:15 PM
Definitely smarter, but I don't know about more economical. I prob won't be able to force myself to buy one w/ the less than stellar review. I'd like to build a P47, I just think it might be more than I want to invest in a scale-like warbird. who knows at this point.

Grasshopper
10-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I would second that on the E-flite P-47. I love to fly mine. I just recently sold my PZ P-51 because the P-47 is so much more fun to fly (and easier too). I also agree with Alien that the P-51 did all it was supposed to do and I flew it for 6 months without so much as even a hard landing.

I recently bought the Richmodels Spitfire (same as the AK Spit). It's even a better performer than the P-47. It does not slow down and float in like the P-47 though. You have to bring it in hot and fly it all the way but it is certainly faster and more maneuverable. The quality of the ARF was very good.

alienx
10-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Definitely smarter, but I don't know about more economical. I prob won't be able to force myself to buy one w/ the less than stellar review. I'd like to build a P47, I just think it might be more than I want to invest in a scale-like warbird. who knows at this point.

I don't know if this is legal in here, but I'll give you a really good deal on mine if you want it. Like I said, I loved it when I used it but don't use it anymore. PM me if you like. I feel odd discussing a sale in the forum.

Grasshopper
10-12-2006, 08:29 PM
Hey Andy,

You can post it in the For Sale threads. That's where I sold mine.

alienx
10-12-2006, 08:33 PM
Hey Andy,

You can post it in the For Sale threads. That's where I sold mine.

Good to know, thanks. I was worried I broke the rule in here. I'm going to shoot you a PM. I don't want to hijack this thread.

swapdaddyxx1
11-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Do you still have a PZ P51 to sell? If so what is price & condition? also if you could send a pic,My email is jglover002@centurytel.net. Thanks, Jerry

alienx
11-26-2006, 01:19 PM
Sorry, it's long gone now.