PDA

View Full Version : Graupner Vs. Aeronaut CAM props???

oracle_9
10-12-2006, 04:29 AM
Hi,

I will be requiring a 9x5 folder prop for a electric sailplane. I found two, first is the Graupner CAM folding 9x5 prop and the Aeronaut CAM carbon 9x5 folding prop.

I dont know about the airfoils and such, but which you think is better? Anyone know the weight difference between the two (I guess in blade weight)? Opinions?

oracle_9
10-19-2006, 06:55 PM
No one uses folder props here? :)

TeslaWinger
10-20-2006, 04:21 AM
You will be fine with either, as I have used many of each. Try the HL site- they probably list the weights if that's important to you- its not an issue to me. Whichever you choose, note that they require different types of spinner hubs and they won't interchange.

I like the CAM props simply because they have an elegantly designed tip but both are great props that haul my crate into the sky quickly.

Sky Sharkster
10-20-2006, 11:50 AM
Hello Oracle, Telsa is right, they're not interchangable. The CAM props come as a set, the hub, spinner and blades start at a smaller size (the "Tipsy" 4.7mm x 2.4mm) and up.
The Aeronaut parts have to be ordered separately; hub, yoke, adaptor, blades, spinner. While this gives you more options, it is more work to get it "right". The hub part of the blade is thicker and won't fit on the CAM hub.
I don't know if the blade weights are different, but overall the Aeronaut complete sets are heavier. The hub is longer and sticks outside the spinner, which means the actual blade part is shorter. For example, the Aeronaut 9 x 6 blade (each blade) is 95mm or 3-7/8" while the CAM blade for a 9 x 6 is 116mm or 4-1/4". When each is mounted on their matching hub the total prop diameter is 9".
Personally, I also like the CAMs best. They also have a couple of hub sizes (thickness) but once you learn these they are no problem.
I've never seen any RPM limits for either type but my feeling is the Aeronauts are designed with larger motors in mind. Just the overall construction and the fact their smallest size is 8" x 6".
Having said that, I've seen the CAM versions used on motors like Hacker B40's and perform fine.
As far as performance, I've only used one size of both on the same motor and couldn't see any difference.
Ron

littlephoenix
11-19-2008, 10:11 AM
i have used both, they are pretty much the same in every way, but i guess graupner looks nicer and cleaner specially their aluminum spinner, in any case i have found it hard to purchase graupner props, seems like not to many stores sell it.

Sky High Hobby My RC Plane Hobby Blog (http://www.skyhighhobby.com/)
(http://www.skyhighhobby.com)