PDA

View Full Version : GP Combat Corsair Build - rookie

ducatirdr
10-16-2006, 01:15 AM
So here it is the ARF glow to electric warbird...

I hope you don't mind me posting this build as I'm looking for assistance to simple questions that I'm sure someone here knows the answer to.

First question;

When mounting the cowl into the cowl ring, how far into the cowl does the mounting ring sit? It doesn't say on the instructions. And with the motor prop stay at 3 1/4 from the firewall it's obvious to me that the cowl overlaps the fuse by some amount. Is this correct or do I need a new ruler?

Thanks

Here's some out of the box dry fit photo's

alienx
10-16-2006, 04:25 PM
I can't help you (sorry), but I have had my eye on one of these for a while. I'll be watching your build. Good luck.

Old Fart
10-16-2006, 04:37 PM
Don't know how much these will help - I can take some specific ones if you need. IIRC, it was 3/8"-1/2"

ducatirdr
10-16-2006, 05:15 PM
I guess 1/2 inch is about right. For some reason my cowl ring doesn't fit into the cowl so that makes me wonder if it was a fluch mount at the end of the cowl.

Also while I'm here. Did you have cut outs for the servo wires to exit the wing root? Directions say to cut covering but I don't have any holes to cut the covering away from. I see the string. I guess you have to cut into the balsa sheeting. The mounting holes are there but no aileron exit hole near the spar.

Old Fart
10-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I had cut outs on mine for the aileron servo wires. One thing to take into consideration when doing the cowl ring - it won't sit "square" in the cowl (at least mine didn't)

ducatirdr
10-17-2006, 03:19 AM
I began to think about how to mount my Power 25 to the firewall. I'm planning on using the stock motor mount with just a bit over an inch of spacers. Where do you get those nice nylon tube spacers? My LHS didnt' know what I was talking about. I looked on-line and did a search for motor mount spacers and standoffs but my search mojo failed.

alienx
10-17-2006, 04:01 AM
I began to think about how to mount my Power 25 to the firewall. I'm planning on using the stock motor mount with just a bit over an inch of spacers. Where do you get those nice nylon tube spacers? My LHS didnt' know what I was talking about. I looked on-line and did a search for motor mount spacers and standoffs but my search mojo failed.

I got some at Hobby Lobby in different sizes. I also got the bolts an blind nuts, btu the whole set-up was too heavy for my 19 oz plane so I just used two of the 1/4" spacers and some 4/40 or 5/56 (??) screws.

The Corsair comes out tail heavy if I remember all the other posts I read about it. So maybe you will be better off than I was.

Old Fart
10-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I used #10 machine screws, and still had to add nose weight. I'm running (2) 2100mAh lipos in parallel stuffed as far forward behind the firewall as I can.

ducatirdr
10-20-2006, 09:28 PM
So the motor-mounts were not available at any of the 3 larger LHS'. I ended up going to an electronics’ parts wholesale depot and found some plastic stand-offs. They were exactly 1 inch and needed to be cut down. I used my dremel to cut and sand the stand-offs to the correct shape. (see attached)

I will be using two Lipo's 3c 2100 in parallel and found they fit perfectly into the fuel tank cut out in the fuse. I’m using a rubber band to hold the batteries up against the firewall. I mounted the ESC to the motor mount with some foam and a zip tie. I opened another hole from the engine compartment into the fuse for the leads.

The cg was spot on with the 2 lipo’s in that location. The next step is to pickup my DX6 receiver and connect everything up and get ready for a maiden.

BTW the little camp stool in the photo does a great job for holding belly landers, both right side up and upside-down.

ducatirdr
10-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Here's some pic's of a cheap multi-purpose R/C airplane holder. Walmart special in the camping section.

Old Fart
10-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Duc, that's virtually the same battery configuration I use (down to the same battery type even)

Flew it Friday for over 10 minutes - batteries weren't even warm when I landed. Never hit LVC either.

ducatirdr
10-23-2006, 01:02 AM
As soon as my DX6 comes in I'll be tossing it in the air. I can't wait to see how it flies. Didn't you put the same motor (Power 25) in yours as well? How does it fly? Unlimited vert or not? Slow down for landings ok?

Old Fart
10-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Same motor. Originally had an 8 turn Fiegao motor and gearbox in it - overamped the ESC and went in.

Unlimited on a 12x8 as far as 48 year old eyes can see....

Slowed down fine.

ducatirdr
10-30-2006, 10:40 PM
I noticed this evening the weekend wind finally started to wane. I jumped into my car and took the Corsair down to the field. The sun had just set and the orange sky was still bright enough to get a flight in. I felt that dread of tossing the plane into the air and negative things happening but i pushed past it. Without a warm up using the PZ FW190 I turned on the new Spektrum and plugged in the two lipos. A quick range check and there was no stopping now.

Low rates, and a last check for correct throws and I walked out onto the field. I fumbled for a good hold and didn't find one. But somehow I balanced the plane and with 3/4 trottle I tossed her skyward. Off it went like a bat out of hell. a slight roll to the left had me feed in one click of trim. It flew like a pattern plane. One end of the sky to the other it crossed really fast. With half trottle it still boogied. A split s and a loop along with some verticle testing and I was ready to land. BOY did I tell you how fast it was? I lined it up and it just flew past my landing spot like it was on fire. Another go round and I started the final a bit further out and it still over shot a bit but was fine. This thing screams!

Two more flights on the same battery packs had me only use 50% of the batt's. The plane rocks and makes the PZ look like a slow flyer. But by the book rates and throws worked great. I can't wait to get back on a better day so I can see it on the fly bys. Low light and maiden not a good thing but I had the itch really bad. I can't wait to fly the PZ again it will seem like a Super Cub to this plane.:D

Old Fart
10-31-2006, 01:05 AM
Outstanding!!!!

ducatirdr
11-07-2006, 12:49 PM
So new plane fever has me out to the field as much as I can. After the maiden I was able to get a stretch of mild weather that was perfect for flying. So whats it like to live with? Listen up Marines!!!

The first issue with this plane is that it being a belly lander means you can have a perfect landing and still snap a prop. Always carry a couple extras. The sub 50F temps has the props snapping a lot easier.

Another issue is that I fly off lumpy grass fields. Having a belly lander means no ripped out gear to worry about BUT stripped servo gears on the bottom mount exposed location happened on my second trip to the field. I was lucky to find the nearest LHS had a replacement set for my HS-81's. I should have put metal geared servo's in the wings. I'm thinking of making up some clear plastic skids to keep the arms and control horns from catching on the lumps.

Flight times of 15 minutes has me finding about 25%-30% battery left. That's mixed full to 1/2 trottle settings. I usually land and then see about 10 minutes flight time on the timer and toss her back up for another 5 minutes and then the timer goes off.

Speaking of batteries... I'm thinking of cutting the nose open just behind the cowl and building a magnetic cover for battery replacement. I think it will be easy to do but I have been doing the twin wing screws each time to replace the batteries. The long duration has kept me from making this a must have.

The plane has some speed but I'm now used to it and wish it had more :D

Comments from the gallery have me smile as it gets a lot of favorable comments. People are impressed with it being electric and can't believe how good it flies as it climbs cork-screwing straight up. This is by far the quietest motor I have heard as well. I like how it handles as it goes where its pointed and can slow down although it takes a while to bleed off speed. I am really impressed with how gental it can fly and it looks great as well.

If you are looking to move up to a larger electric warbird this ARF really works great and was an easy conversion. Two thumbs up.

Tom

Old Fart
11-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Tom, I got some clear plastic savers for the aileron control rods, let me figure out where and I'll forward you the link. Mine are just held on for now with Blenderm tape.

Please do the battery hatch, and take lots of pictures! (you have the same setup - I'm tired of pulling the wing too!!!!!)

Eplane65
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM

I got my spacers at Ace Hardware. They come in various lengths: 1/4, 1/2, and 1 inch. While your'e there, get some 8-32 bolts.

Old Fart
11-07-2006, 09:02 PM
I just drilled the mount out a bit and went to 10-32 bolts (actually machine screws at that size)

If I ever take it apart, I'll add the spacers for additional strength.

Tom - these aren't the ones I used, but look to be pretty much the same thing:

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/servomount.htm

ducatirdr
10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
Living with no battery hatch and having to unbolt the wing to get at the batteries turned into a real pain. So much so that I would leave this plane at home. Yet the plane flew so well and fast that I missed having it at the field. I ended up pulling the Power 25 engine and putting it into my E-Flite Stearman due to the lack of use. Left to sit in perfectly good condition in an abandoned aircraft section of my basement I decided it might be worth resurrecting this plane with a cheap HobbyCity motor and ESC and add a battery hatch.

So here are my photo's of the update.

Motor - TGY AerodriveXp SK Series 35-42 1000Kv / 605w
ESC - TURNIGY Plush 60amp Speed Controller

These are a direct replacement for the Power 25 setup with the motor mount fitting the same X as the 25 holes.

I test flew the plane and it ripped.

Next was cutting open the battery hatch. I cut along the formers and stringers and added a stringer to the open hole in the plane and two formers to the front and back of the hatch. A little white hospital tape to trim the cuts and it almost looks like the scale gas tank sealer. :D

soarbird
11-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm working on a GP Warhawk which also needs a battery hatch.Does your battery slip in and out with ease or is it a bit of a struggle ? phil

Whisner
12-21-2009, 12:45 AM
How do you figure out the thrustline? I'm putting a Rimfire .10 35-30-1250kv motor on mine. Gonna run it off a Thunder Power 2250map 30C lipo.