PDA

View Full Version : Flap/Spoil-erons .. confused !!

AntP
10-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Hi,
I am trying to setup my radio (Futaba 7CAP) for spoilerons and/or flaperons ..
The idea is to slow the plane (1.8 very light glider) down because it is too fast for me to land and very buoyant (wants to overshoot the LZ every time).
I only know that flaperons open down and spoilerons open up .. that's it! :confused: Could use any help !!

Questions:
- Where do i plug the 2 servos (in the wings)? I used Ch1 and Ch6. Does that work? My Rx is a 7 channel one.
- How do i set up my radio (7C) to do that? I see in there AirBreak and Flaperon menus.
- What is better for landing (flaps or spoilers)?
- How much aileron deflection? (30%? 50%?)
- What do you do with the elevator? (up or down? how much? 10%?)
- How do you do it?

Thanks,
AP.

Up&Away
10-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Does your wing have ailerons and flaps, or only ailerons?
Do they hinge at the top or botom of the wing?
Are the servos and pushrods on the top or bottom of the wing?

AEAJR
11-18-2006, 08:40 PM
Hi,

Questions:
- Where do i plug the 2 servos (in the wings)? I used Ch1 and Ch6. Does that work? My Rx is a 7 channel one.
- How do i set up my radio (7C) to do that? I see in there AirBreak and Flaperon menus.
- What is better for landing (flaps or spoilers)?
- How much aileron deflection? (30%? 50%?)
- What do you do with the elevator? (up or down? how much? 10%?)
- How do you do it?

Thanks,
AP.

First of all, RTFM, read the friendly manual. :)

On a Futaba radio, flapperons would be in 1&6. Good job!

you have to turn on the flapperon mix. That is probably a predefined mix. RTFM

That mix will probably default to one of the side sliders or a dial. That is how it is on my Futaba 9C, which has similar logic.

Flapperons go down causing a lot of drag and increasing the lift of the wing. When you deploy the flapperons you may get the nose of the plane "balloning" up. You have an option to add some down elevator in the menu to compensate for this balloing tendency. Whether that is neg or pos is specific to your plane. How much? Start at 10% and see how that works. Again this is EXTREMELY plane specific and you have to play with it.

To test, get the plane high, at least 50 feet, and engage the flapperons and see what the plane does. If it dives, too much down elevator. If it pops up and stalls, add some down. Typically you would not have up elevator with the flapperon position.

Spoilerons are just the opposite. Lots of drag and they kill the lift of the wing which can help get the plane to settle down for landing. These can make some planes dive, to typically you would add some up elevator with spoilerons, to keep the plane level.

Again you must test and play with it as these settings are very personal to you and your plane.

AntP
11-20-2006, 06:33 AM
Wing has AILERONS only ..

They hinge on the bottom of the wing ..

The servos are inside the wing .. i put them there thru cuts on the bottom of the wing .. the control horns come out from the bottom of the wing ..

Does your wing have ailerons and flaps, or only ailerons?
Do they hinge at the top or botom of the wing?
Are the servos and pushrods on the top or bottom of the wing?

Up&Away
11-20-2006, 07:38 AM
With ailerons only you'll use Ch 1 & 6 for the ailerons.
The ailerons hinging on the bottom of the wing would indicate that your glider is designed for the use of flapperons (=both ailerons going down) instead of spoilerons (=both ailerons going up).
Before programming your radio, how much up can you give your ailerons?
Any chance of a picture with the ailerons in their max up and down position?

How much throw to give, is either a matter of trial and error (hence Aeajr's advice to go at least 50' up) or it is mentioned somewhere in your gliders' manual.

AEAJR
11-20-2006, 09:17 AM
I have several planes where the ailerons serve as both flapperons and spoilerons depending on the position of a slider, dial or switch.

I usually use spoilerons when slope soaring to settle the model down quickly while I am still moving fast. This helps handle the turbulance common in the landing areas on the slope.

When I land at the flat thermal field, I usally use flapperons to slow the model down for spot landings. Here I usually have elevator compensation mixed in to keep the nose from ballooning up.