PDA

View Full Version : My New Spitfire

NUTS
10-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Here is my latest conversion, a Kyosho 40 Spitfire.
Here are the specs:
AUW 78.6oz
Hangar 9 40 size retracts
Himax 3528/1000
CC 60 with a 5V Smart BEC
TP3S2P4200
I am quite impressed with the quality, I usually convert kits but after seeing this at my LHS I just could not resist. I may recover the bottom of it, the blue they used just doesn't look quite right. Good quality hardware came with the kit, the only thing I changed was the pushrods. They supplied two wood dowels and some heat shrink to attach the wire. I prefer Golden Rods. You will see from the pics my method of battery access and ESC placement. I have taxied around a bit on the drive way
and it seems ready for the maiden. We will take her up tomorrow morning and I will post the results.

Best Regards,
Nuts

Dereck
10-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Hi Nuts
Asking a Brit about Spitfires is probably akin to asking the Pope if it's alright to mess with the Catholic religion!

I vaguely recall someone in Texas doing this BARF maybe three years back - it worked well enough until the ground suddenly rose up and bit it. Also remembering that he recovered the entire model at one stage!

If you think yours is bad in the underside colour dept, a model mag in the UK once tried to get me to review an early RC BARF Spiftire. It was so well done that the squadron badge under the cockpit was actually correct - for a WW2 Luftwaffe squadron that operated Me109s!

I declined the opportunity :)

Power sounds good, concur on Goldenrods - haven't made up a wire and stick pushrod in years.

Good luck, just don't compare your model's UC alignment with a real Spitfire's ;)

D

Dereck
10-20-2006, 05:35 PM
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71263&highlight=Kyosho+Spitfire

The stuff I do for folks.

Kelvin posted a bunch of stuff on what was then EZone, before it suffered from a need to make lots of look, and I got to see his model fly as well.

Not only did Kelvin do a lot of thinking and work on his model, he also writes in something called 'good clear English' (not like, you know, IM speke), so his thoughts on the conversion are easy to follow

Regards

Dereck
who has the Rob Millinship Spitfire Mk1 / 1A plans someplace and will Do It Properly one day

NUTS
10-20-2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks Dereck,
I just knew someone would comment on the "scale" or lack there of apperance of the landing gear. On a positive note it makes ground handling a breeze. I was just praying that you off all people didn't notice that I built an ARF:D. I all honesty it is very well made. Supprisingly pleased.

Regards,
Nuts

Dereck
10-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Hi Nuts
There's only been a handful of really accurate scale models of Spitfires ever built - and those by folk with a lot more scale building skills than whoever designed this one for Kyosho. One of the top British scale modellers - forget the name right now, old age is setting in - reckoned that getting a Spitfire's cowling correct was the hardest challenge in scale modelling.

That they were all hand-built on individual aircraft as it they assembled at the factory helps immensely in making our little lives more difficult.

I suppose you've considered what would be involved in getting the UC to both retract and extend at the right angles and to the right locations? I vaugley recall Kelvin having a go at recreating that, but it doesn involve doing some very dodgy things to the already built mainspars...

Can send you a copy of the pages from Gordon Whitehead's book on how to figure it all out if you get bored this winter...

But, in the end, you are modelling possibly the most distinctive fighter ever built, apart from maybe the P51 (and I only say that to be nice ;) ) and one of the few that about everyone on the planet who can spell 'aircraft' in English can recognise, so who's bothered about a few minor details?

BTW - if you want a 'signature' maneuvre to show off your new model with, one Spitfire test pilot was once asked how slow he could slow roll a Spitfire. He answered that he didn't know - reckoned they ran out of fuel before he'd completed a slow roll if he rolled as slowly as possible. There are few sights in aviation to match a Spitfire doing a slow, slightly barrelly roll down the runway over display centre.

A Himax just won't sound like a RR Merlin though - but then, even a Packard Merlin doesn't sound as blood curdling as a real RR Merlin.

Just go fly the thing, Spits were never built to taxy far.

Regards

Dereck

NUTS
10-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes I plan on spending as much time with the gear up as possible.
I spent a week in the UK on business three weeks ago. We were traveling from Stratford Upon Avon to Doncaster on the M1 and I saw a sign for an RAF museum. I had some extra time so you know what I did:D . I got some good photos of a Spit and quite a few other birds. Over time I will use the photos to try and add some details to mine.

Regards,
Nuts

Quattro
10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Great looking plane! I'd love to see some vid of her in the air.

You look quite young in those pics! :D

NUTS
10-20-2006, 06:42 PM
Great looking plane! I'd love to see some vid of her in the air.

You look quite young in those pics! :D
That's Mini Me!

Thanks,
Nuts

firemanbill
10-20-2006, 06:44 PM
Nice Nuts. Nice plane that is... :o

I look forward to seing it fly at Hodges next year!

NUTS
10-20-2006, 06:50 PM
Good to hear from you Bill. Brian and I will drive over to Mac's tomorrow morning for the maiden before his soccer game at noon. I'll post the results "positive I hope".

Regards,
Nuts

NUTS
10-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Oh, Bill.
Did you guy's get the Airliner up yet?

Nuts

firemanbill
10-20-2006, 06:59 PM
I have it together and reay to go. I had to wait on some bigger batteries, just go them in so I hope to get her airborne this weekend.

The wind is blowing something crazy today, 30 knot winds currenly, hopefully tomorrow will be better.

We did fly the Stryker this week... well my boy flew "his" stryker. He won't let me near it except to toss it for him!

NUTS
10-20-2006, 07:36 PM
He was kinda holding on tight to that thing after you guy's won it:D

Nuts

firemanbill
10-20-2006, 08:34 PM
Yes..., Yes, he was...:D

He flew it for the first time and you should have seen the look on his face. Sheer determination! he was going to fly it and he knew it! I watched him real close and, like father like son... He did not breathe for the first couple of minutes!:eek: then his knees knocking together helped remind him he needed to breathe! Once he flew it and brought it down perfectly he was set. Now he flies it like an pro...:D

NUTS
10-22-2006, 01:02 AM
Hodges Hobbies was having their Fall Fly In today, I really didn't want to maiden the Spit in front of 300 people. We got back home mid afternoon and took it down to the school down the road, it has a field across the parking lot that's about a 1/8 mile by 1/8 mile square, pleanty of room.
All I can say is WOW! This is now the best flying bird in our stable. I have never built a plane that I did not have to trim out until this one. Nice big loops, long slow rolls, flew around at 1/2 throttle most of the time. With the 12x6 prop at full throttle it climbs like the real thing. Only down moment was on the roll out after landing, the left LG failed. I didn't have the little press on keeper on the rod holder very well. We got it back home, removed the wing and had it fixed in around 15 minutes. She's a keeper.

Regards,
Nuts

firemanbill
10-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Cool! Glad to hear it Nuts... :D

Mach10
11-09-2006, 06:53 PM
They fly great.
Mine had a Astro25G motor with 16 NiCd RC2400, 12X8 MAS electric wood prop, 7.5 lbs with retracts

This was 5 years ago, before all the really good brushless and LiPos.

Dereck
11-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Hi Mach
Yours was obviously modelled off the rare Mk 16.5, which used the undercarriage off a MB5 fighter :rolleyes: ...

OTOH, I bet a fair number of Spitfire pilots would have preferred a wheel track that wide, instead of what they got.

Which an OFB of mine, who used to service Spits when they were new, pointed out, was because the UC was actually mounted onto the fuselage! That was fairly clever - the Bf109 did something similar - in that it made the wing lighter as it didn't have to be stressed to take the landing loads and allowed for the wings to be removed without messing up the UC. The aircraft could remain standing on its wheels to have a wing swapped - which was probably a good thing in the Spitfire's heyday...

regards

Dereck

Mach10
11-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Dereck,
I thought that Kyosho made it that way because of ease of construction, installation and easier ground handling for the pilot. Of which I'm glad they did.
Even not scale LG, it still looks very cool in the air with the wheels up.

Dereck
11-11-2006, 03:02 PM
Must be some reason like that - or maybe it was cheaper to do it like that as the makers could use some elements in or from other 'kits' ?

You are right though - the wider track UC is way better for sports fliers.

Which makes it a Spitfire shaped sports model and barely one notch over a 4*40 in green and brown Monokote to a scale enthusiast...

Ask any aeromodeller who's been around a while, they'll tell you that if you don't want 'difficult' - stay out of scale. The moment you even think 'scale', everything takes far longer and is far more complex in all respects. The guy who inspired me to move down from CL to RC was a classic. His last model was a 56" span full blown scale Gloster Gladiator biplane fighter, from a top UK scale design. He took five years building it - the last two working mostly on the compass in the cockpit floor.

He then flew it twice, gave up RC completely and took up ball-whacking at a local golf club!

I never learned, it seems. After several scale designs and even more kits, I'm now doing a 1/6th clipwing Cub that's finished in red, white and blue, and want to do another Ford Flivver.

The Spitfire plans await, lying in my basement plans box, ready to jump out and attack me once we've finished diddling with the house rebuild that wifey is determined to undertake. I'll be doing the prototype, because models of it are rare, but haven't decided on all-over pale blue or its camofluage scheme.

Regards

Dereck

Dereck
11-17-2006, 08:10 PM
Sitting on a sandbar must be getting to me!

Okay, it's actuallu Ocracoke Island, NC, but its close to being a sandbar...

Picked up a couple of UK model rags enroute to here, and the back page of RC Model World for October is a full page ad for a BARF Spitfire assembled by some lot called "SML". This device runs 299.99 in UK pounds - say $500 or so in 'meracan money - but, most importantly, has air-driven retracts that go outwards and some backwards.

Okay, they're a tad outboard - the pickup point is halfway out along the underwing coolers, which I suspect is the chinkway out of the problem. The one modelled is "J-EJ" and the layout's all wrong.

Just to compensate, there's a UK Spitfire magazine plan going round that has its fuselage servos mounted on the outside :eek:

Dereck