PDA

View Full Version : Tower Hobbies Skimmer 400

Doc Ferguson
10-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Looking for members who have built the Skimmer 400 from scratch. What motor may you have substituted and what battery pack would you recommend. Any Photo's of your build from start to finiah?
Doc Ferguson

Sky Sharkster
10-21-2006, 02:01 AM
Hello Doc, here's a long thread on exactly the same subject from about a year ago. Lots of suggestions for geardrives, batteries, etc.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3246
Since it's made for a "400" sized powerplant, the options, upgrades and mods are practically endless! Starting with a stock brushed "can" 400 and a CAM 6 x 3 folder, you can go as far as your budget will allow.
The Skimmer is a good-flying model if it's built straight and flat. The Hobby Lobby site recommends a 6 cell battery but I wouldn't fly it on less than 7 (NiCad or NiMH) cells. 8 cells is even better but will shorten motor life somewhat.
There are even brushless motors that are a "drop-in" replacement for brushed 400's so you can try it with an inexpensive motor first and upgrade later without too much fuss.
Another worthwhile upgrade is to add a planetary gearbox to the "can" 400. This allows the use of a much larger prop (at reduced RPM), better motor and battery efficiency and overall improved performance.
Lots of options!
Ron

Doc Ferguson
10-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks very much for the skimmer information. Doc Ferguson

FlyWheel
09-06-2007, 03:18 AM
I don't know if this is going to push the thread to anywhere that people are likely to read it. But I'll ask anyway.

Just how easy is the Skimmer to build? Would you recommend it to someone interested in building their first sailplane? Also once built, how easy is it to fly, when it does crash, how well does it survive and how difficult are repairs?

John C
09-27-2007, 05:23 PM
I built both the Skimmer 400 and the larger 70" span version. Both are as easy as you can get as a kit to build. I'd suggest you go for it as your first build.

John C

FlyWheel
09-28-2007, 01:45 AM
I built both the Skimmer 400 and the larger 70" span version. Both are as easy as you can get as a kit to build. I'd suggest you go for it as your first build.

John C

Thanks. The pic on Hobby Lobby's site looks like like it's not too complicated (panel Fuse, if I'm not mistaken) So all I really have to worry about are the wings.

Ribcracker
09-28-2007, 02:43 AM
The Skimmer 400 was my first build and it went very well because it's a very simple design. I've been flying it for a couple of years now with an Ultrafly C/13/24H fed by a 2 cell 15C 910 mAh pack using the 6X3 Cam folder.
Run up to specksville takes about two minutes and a typical glide is ten minutes. My record so far is 18 minutes on a pretty good thermal day.

rcers
09-28-2007, 02:45 PM
Here is my OLD Skimmer build thread. A great little plane....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82502