PDA

View Full Version : Model of Santos Dumont 14 BIS, the plane of the planes

cebola
10-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Since my early youth I hear about Santos Dumont , and the Wright Brothers.

Has a modeller that I am, I always dream to Build a 14 BIS model and also the Flyer.

In fact is not impontant for me, how was the first one to make a fly, but both in my concern are genius.

Has the centenial of 14BIS fly at october 23, I decide to build my own 14BIS, has a model off course!

First problem the plans, in Brazil, where I live there are many plans but all of them, wrong or nor precise.

On internet I found a site: http://www.cabangu.com.br/pai_da_aviacao/4-14bis/pg04.htm, and there are some presumed drawings from Santos Dumont.

Well, the rest was easy, I pick up some papers and decide to make my own plans and a vertion of this plane.

The resoult you can see below.

This is a fantastic model easy to fly and very slow, very recommendable, includding for begginers.

And dont be affraid, this model is very easy to build, depite the photos.

The model was covered whit Polyspan, a fantastic material, that provides a scale look, and dont cause warps and bubles, very light and strong.

14 BIS encourage me to build also the Flyer, and maybe I can make many fly's whit both!

They are scuptures, not planes only:)

Hope you like it!

Technicall data

Wing span 38"
Length 35"
Wheight 13oz RF
Engine KOMODO 257
Batteries 2S 1200mA E-Model
Propeller apc 8X5
ESC Castle Criations Thunderbird
RX - Berg 4
Servos Cirrus 9grams

Cebola
Brazil

simibill
10-20-2006, 10:22 PM
Fantastic - great model. Thanks for the pics.

RUSH
10-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Very nice plane. I've never seen one made for R/C before - very different. Do you have the plans in computer format? And if so, would you be willing to share them?

cebola
10-20-2006, 11:34 PM
Very nice plane. I've never seen one made for R/C before - very different. Do you have the plans in computer format? And if so, would you be willing to share them?

Rush

My plan is only a draft, but you can obtain the plan on Santos Dumont site above.

But soon I will make a ACAD plan, so I can send to you

Cebola
Brazil

Don Sims
10-21-2006, 01:41 AM
Another excellent model cebola!!

RUSH
10-21-2006, 04:48 AM
Rush

My plan is only a draft, but you can obtain the plan on Santos Dumont site above.

But soon I will make a ACAD plan, so I can send to you

Cebola
Brazil

That would be great! Unfortunately the link you provided doesn't work for me - it says "not found." I have some information in a book about this plane, and it's interesting to see the pilot standing rather than sitting. I wonder if any other planes had the pilot standing up?

Jack Stephens
10-21-2006, 02:16 PM
RUSH,

Remove the "pg04.htm" at the end of the link and it should open for you.

Jack Stephens

cebola
10-21-2006, 04:51 PM
Another excellent model cebola!!

Thank's a lot Don.

Wattflyer is my favorite forum, so I make my best.

Regards

Cebola

RUSH
10-21-2006, 09:20 PM
RUSH,

Remove the "pg04.htm" at the end of the link and it should open for you.

Jack Stephens

Thanks! That worked.

cebola
10-23-2006, 04:17 PM
Thanks! That worked.

RUSH

I really hope you buiild a 14BIS, it's a fantastic model, and fly very slow and nicely.

If you need some help, just let me know.

Cebola
Brasil

JohnBlankenship
11-10-2006, 09:43 PM
A few nights ago, I watched a special program on the Nova series on public television about Santos Dumont. It was a great show, he was a great pioneer of aviation, and your model is a great tribute.

Best regards,

John Blankenship

cebola
11-11-2006, 10:08 PM
A few nights ago, I watched a special program on the Nova series on public television about Santos Dumont. It was a great show, he was a great pioneer of aviation, and your model is a great tribute.

Best regards,

John Blankenship

Thank's a lot John!

At this momment I am buildig the Flyer, and it's a very complicated model.
But, another Old timer very nice.

My big problem is make the Wright brothers, also in scale.

But has a sculpture everythyng is possible, so I am building Orville and Wilbur in balsa carved in block.

To make a tribute from those guy's I thinl that is the minimum that we can do has modellers.

Cebola
Brazil