PDA

View Full Version : Depron F8F

JohnVH
10-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Hey all, being a bearcat lover, I worked on up on the laser today, 40" wingspan. Whatcha think?

John

Sky Sharkster
10-21-2006, 02:23 AM
Hello John, Welcome to the "Warbirds" Forum! Nice job on the F8F, you've done a good job capturing the look of the chubby (OPPS, not P.C.! "Weight Challenged") Bearcat. How are you planning to finish it?
Love those Navy WWII fighters!
Keep us posted!
Ron

JohnVH
10-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Hi, Thanks! Only one reply has me wondering about there being a calling for warbirds like this.. Anyway, Ill be doing the wampas cat on this one, as Ill be finishing my ziroli f8f.. I cant get enough of radial warbirds. :)

CorsairJock
10-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Hi, Thanks! Only one reply has me wondering about there being a calling for warbirds like this.. Anyway, Ill be doing the wampas cat on this one, as Ill be finishing my ziroli f8f.. I cant get enough of radial warbirds. :)

Well, I for one would LOVE to have one. In fact, I had been looking at some of the other, simular sized foamies and wondering how much it would take to make it look like a Bearcat. Balsa Products has an un-painted EXTRA that I thought about buying and trimming/ modifying to look like a Bearcat.
I even think about installing a set of those micro retracts on one.
In other words, if you are wondering if others would be interested in a 3D foamie warbird, Bearcat in particular: count me in.

Of all the WW II fighters, I feel the Bearcat is the best choice for a 3D foamie BECAUSE the full scale had some pretty outstanding flight capabilies, including reported takeoffs (from land base) with less than 200 ft rollout ("F8F BEARCAT in action", "Aircraft Number 99" from Squadron/ Signal Publications, page 44).

As for paint scheme: I gotta go with "Beetle Bomb".

JohnVH
10-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Hey Corsair, maybe I can send ya one as a beta tester for me so I can keep jamming on other stuff...

What other warbirds would be of interest to all out there? I have a hookup to getting them painted, or they can be white for custom jobs.

Also, size, smaller? Or this work good? This thing should be around 15oz rtf Id guess at this point.

CorsairJock
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
SURE, I'll do it! Paint it yellow (except for canopy: leave it white) and I can take care of the rest (markings).
As for size: I would like it to weigh 12 oz or less RTF with 3 oz/ 1000 mAH 3S battery. Would also like to use one of my Esskay 400XTs, but I have some better (and heavier) AXI motors if needed.
That said: would 40" span be too big? Maybe 32 ~ 36" be better?
Drop me an e-mail if you like.

JohnVH
10-22-2006, 05:30 PM
Well, Im guessing on the weight. I use hacker 20 series, and I feel this is a perfect size for the 26m motor as my pro foamies are great with that setup and about that weight. Ill weigh the airframe today.

CorsairJock
10-22-2006, 06:46 PM
John, with so many motors that I have already (not in use), and my current financial 'slump', I couldn't justify buying another.

In addition to the Esskays, I have an AXI 2212/34, which weighs just under 2 oz and should provide about 22 oz thrust with APC 10 x 7 while drawing about 8 amps @ about 69% motor efficiency, OR 18 oz thrust with 10 x 5 drawing 6.6 amps @ about 72%. Either way, I think this motor would work good on a 40" version.

An Esskay with 8 x 3.8 is able to hover/ takeoff (vertical) my 10 oz Pogo with ease. Therefor, it should work with a 30 ~ 32" version.

I have an assortment of wheels and Dubro micro connectors on hand, as well as all required micro radio equipment, so all I need is an airframe.

So, what are we talking money wise?