PDA

View Full Version : Great Planes DC 3

Jonah
10-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Yo People, recently got a Great Planes DC 3. Built it up and flew it using the supplied 400 motors,to my surprise it flew really well, no obvious vices except it doesn't glide too well and stalls suddenly at low speed...pretty much as you'd expect. Disaster though..where I fly,a decomissioned R.A.F. airfield seems to generate radio/signal anomilies and she came in after an unnexplained sudden twitch on final approach. I've managed fairly successfully to repair damage to the wing and engine cowling and cracks in the fuse using epoxy and fine glass cloth. Can I find anyone who has the propeller assembly of 2 5x5 props and shaft extensions/prop adapters....you guessed it..NO! Why do manufacturers make spare parts so hard to source and themselves so hard to contact?? I think I may be onto something at last though having filled in a product feedback form at hobbico,a helpfull chap has got back to me and is looking into some spares for me...I hope it comes off,as it was a most impressive sight in the air and a real buzz to fly.If anyone out there has any suggestions where to look for spares for this plane though,I'd be glad to hear from you..Regards Jonah

Don Sims
10-21-2006, 01:30 AM
Jonah, Aztar has a ton of different sized props as does Airplane World. Have you checked them yet?

Jonah
10-22-2006, 01:06 AM
Hi, where are you talking about...I went online and coudnt find anything airoplaney for Aztar...and Airplane World was near impossible to navigate around...plus they only mail goods to the U.S.....The weather's taken a bit of a dive hear in the U.K....I can feel a lot of indoor electric heli practice coming on...those e-sky Lamas though...what fun...my room's only about 10ft x 8ft,but figure 8s, pirhouettes, full circles are all flyable in that tight space....I can't say the same for my Walkera 36 though...I have to make do with a bit of hovvering practice and gentle reconaisance of the room!!:eek:

Don Sims
10-22-2006, 02:47 AM
http://www.ecubedrc.com/
is a link for you. Living room flying sounds like a lot of fun!

Jonah
10-23-2006, 12:43 AM
Hi Don, thanx for that......I went to the site and not only found the items I need, but they deal Worldwide...cool huh...so the DC 3 will fly again...I just have to get her in safelly in future. Yup...living room heli flying is quite a buzz....those rotors feel very intimidating in such a confined space.....and when you get it all wrong and fly into your wifes favourite plant, chopping off several months growth, it takes some work earning back browny points!! Cheers Ian J.

Jonah
11-15-2006, 11:26 PM
http://engine 00002Hi , I might've just uploaded a picture of my DC 3 in repaired state....
Just waiting for some flying weather now.....
TTFN........Jonah.

cyclops2
11-16-2006, 05:01 AM
APC has matched left and right props in 3 sizes. Right at the 400's size range. For direct and geared. :)

What size prop adapters are you looking for?

No idea where extensions are.

Jonah
11-16-2006, 01:10 PM
Hi Cyclops...thanks for that, actually a chap at tower Hobbies has been in contact with me, and sorted me out with the relevant parts....gratis with my order!!!So job sorted thanks....I tried to post a photo of the 'plane in its repaired state, but don't seem to have the hang of it yet...my computer skills are about as rubbish as my flying skills!!!
Regards.......Jonah.
P.s....I can't beleive it, I just placed a bid on another DC 3 on ebay as a bit of a joke, thinking it would go for a lot more than 41....jokes on me, I've won the auction...short of space in the hanger as it is...wife's gonna look daggers at me!!:eek: