PDA

View Full Version : Ouch

aircruiser
10-21-2006, 06:07 AM
So about a month or so ago we had a big flying day. Me, Dad, brother and an airliner pilot who is a neighbor of ours. The crash was early on so here's how it went. I took off nicely (ruddervators adjusted for lots of lift) and I was flying great, my bro's commander 2 went up and so did my dad's challenger. Our neighbor had his extreme up high and I was doing some backflips and so was my brother. So my battery died in the middle of the loop and I started to come back to earth tail first. Luckily I was about 200ft up so the plane was easily straightened out and I glided for about 5 minutes back to earth. As I was coming in, I carefully leveled out the olane to land nice and smooth. I watched it come in and chose where I was gonna land. All clear. So I came in and was a little high, but no turning back now...I guided the plane in and figured I was still going to land on the field and then it happened.

The plane hit my brother right in the side of his head.

Turns out he was walking out to the outfield to pickup his crashed commander 2. My plane did a flip and landed on the landing gear and came to a rest. The canopy window had fallen off again with the rubber band still on. I looked at my brother and he started laughing holding his head. Luckily I had killed the throttle (no battery, but it could have decided to kick in) and I had hit him at a very low speed, but that still could have hurt!

Thankfully it was a push prop with a rubber nose!!

I was bored so I drew up a layout on ms paint to help you understand....enjoy! :D

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/flightlayout.jpg

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m310/aircruiser226/flightlayoutcrash.jpg

The black line is my plane's path.

AEAJR
10-21-2006, 11:51 AM
It is fortunate that this happened with a pusher.

We have all had incidents which are funny in retrospect but hopefully a valuable lesson was learned about field safety.

Joe Lang
10-23-2006, 11:48 AM
You should have called out that you were "DEAD STICK" and that would be the clue that nobody should walk onto the runway (or spot on the field for landing) until you were safely down. If your brother knew that you were out of power he should not have walked in harm's way. By the way, the yelling out of "DEAD STICK" is done all the time with slimers and it's a good practice as well for the electrics. Dead stick airplanes should always have the right of way for landing because they are committed to get down on the ground the best way they can no matter the wind direction. This is just one of the common sense rules usually codified at club fields, and another good reason to join a club.

AEAJR
10-23-2006, 12:06 PM
You should have called out that you were "DEAD STICK" and that would be the clue that nobody should walk onto the runway (or spot on the field for landing) until you were safely down.

Good advice. If you have a glider, which is what I fly most often, then dead stick is the normal condition. However if you have a powered plane, regardless of power type, then people will assume you have power to control your landing. Yelling, LOUD, dead stick is a good practice if you have no motor control.

aircruiser
10-23-2006, 08:49 PM
You should have called out that you were "DEAD STICK" and that would be the clue that nobody should walk onto the runway (or spot on the field for landing) until you were safely down. If your brother knew that you were out of power he should not have walked in harm's way. By the way, the yelling out of "DEAD STICK" is done all the time with slimers and it's a good practice as well for the electrics. Dead stick airplanes should always have the right of way for landing because they are committed to get down on the ground the best way they can no matter the wind direction. This is just one of the common sense rules usually codified at club fields, and another good reason to join a club.

Thank you for that tip!!

Usually when the batts go dead in my planes they have to make grass landings, but this is definitly a good tip and I would join a club but after all the negative feedback on them, I'd rather not.