PDA

View Full Version : Cox Spitfire

Taildrager
10-21-2006, 03:48 PM
After seeing the Cox Mustang & Corsair fly a couple weeks ago I just had to give one of these little warbrds a try. At $19.95 at my LHS with engine who can resist putting this little warbird together and giving it a go. I am brand new at E-flight and don't know heads from tails about it but have been building and flying for 6 years with glow goo & gas plankers. Here is a dry fit of my little Spitty. Any one who has one of these little birds I could sure use some help on what brands and where to buy the necessary batts, speed controlls, ect. I need to get this bird in the air, as I can hardly wait to shoot down a few Me109's & FW190's.

Sky Sharkster
10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Hello Taildrager, Welcome to Wattflyer! There's been quite a bit done with the COX Micros, as well as the Estes Warbirds in the same size range. Here's a long thread from last year, I've linked to page 3 which is where the suggestions for motor upgrades, bateries, servos, etc., starts. http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1060&page=3
Generally, most folks are ditching the supplied electronics and putting in micro or sub micro gear. A few suggestions would be, for servos, Hitec HS 50's or 55's or other sub-5 gram brands like the Bluebirds. Receivers are usually in the 7 gram or less range, the new Berg Micro is one example, FMA Direct + Castle Creations have suitable RX's. For speed controllers, about 5 amps, light and LiPo "friendly".
Motors; I've seen these models fly with the stock motors and they fly pretty will but a small brushless will really perk things up! The two most popular brands I've seen used are the 12mm Fiego + Medusa Research's 12mm. These are "inrunners" with no gearbox (direct drive).
I don't have all the links handy but a search for Allerc, Sky Hooks and Rigging, Micro RC, will get you started! Here's a couple others;
http://www.medusaproducts.com/
http://www.lightflightrc.com/
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V819427
Good Luck!
Ron

Taildrager
10-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Many thanks Ron, just what I needed to get this warbird in the air. I think I will stay with the stock motor for now till I get my feet wet so to speak. At $19.95 a copy there is no financial hardship to buy another when I get tired of flying scale.

ronin4740
10-22-2006, 06:50 AM
After seeing the Cox Mustang & Corsair fly a couple weeks ago I just had to give one of these little warbrds a try. At $19.95 at my LHS with engine who can resist putting this little warbird together and giving it a go. I am brand new at E-flight and don't know heads from tails about it but have been building and flying for 6 years with glow goo & gas plankers. Here is a dry fit of my little Spitty. Any one who has one of these little birds I could sure use some help on what brands and where to buy the necessary batts, speed controlls, ect. I need to get this bird in the air, as I can hardly wait to shoot down a few Me109's & FW190's.

Taildragger,

Just to save you a little reading I'll offer a few build suggestions here:

1. Try to get the servos as far forward as you can. The further forward they are the easier it is to balance the plane, especially if you use a 2S LiPo battery to power the motor.

2. Test fit everything you can before you glue. I use a bit of masking tape rolled into a circle and temporarily tack the servos, esc, battery and RX into the fuse. I'll then power everything up and make sure the servo arms move without banging into the other servo. On the last two I built I used a bit of carpet tape to tack the fuse together so I could mount the wing and balance the model. It helps

3. Once you've found fore/aft CG don't forget to check lateral CG. You can do this by holding the point of the prop with a finger of one hand and the tail with a finger of the other. I'll guarantee you it will roll to the side you've mounted the battery on. I've taken to taping a penny under the wing on the light side far enough out to offset this and it helps a great deal. While others complain that their birds lack the rudder authority to turn right both of my warbirds turn right just about as well as they do left.

4. Do the nose hatch mod so you can access the motor and battery. I wouldn't recommend making this hatch any longer than just in front of the forward wing mount. Draw a line on the inside of the fuse to make it easier to cut a straight line with the razor knife. Get four sets of magnets from Radio Shack, mount two near the nose and two near the fuse cut on both sides.

Other than that, enjoy the build and flying the little warbird. If you lawn dart it then go get another one... They're only $19.99 :) (I'm on my 6th ;) )

Chris

constantCrash
06-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Is the COX spitfire avaiable anymore? i cant seem to find it. i have the F4U but i want a spitfire to compliment it. and a zero and a Me109 and a FW190 and a JUG ...

ronin4740
06-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Nope, Cox is "redesigning" it according to some post I've read elsewhere. You'll either need to find an LHS which has one on the shelf or purchase enough replacement parts from bphobbies to make your own... :)

constantCrash
06-20-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope they are re-designing for AET instead of RET ohh that'd be sweet. It's been proven possible many times over on the 200+ page thread over on RC groups. I the time between I'm debating between the Zero and the FW190. I already have the coursair.

ronin4740
06-21-2007, 06:32 AM
having recently finished an FW-190 I can say that there's plenty of room for an aileron servo in this model. I haven't weighed or flown it yet as other projects have kept me occupied but hope to soon.