PDA

View Full Version : Carl Goldberg Li'l Satan!

Franny
10-23-2006, 03:11 AM
Hi All,

Y'all are think I'm completely nuts, but I just finish a conversion of a Carl Goldberg Li'l Satan to RC - electric. That's right! Ok, The Sharkster an I were gabbin’ and I mentioned I had this old C/L kit and,... well... here it is... A few modifications... I added twin rudders to the resized booms and added ailerons. It is powered by an E-Flight 370 running off a 3S 900mA Lipo pack. I added a skeg to the bottom to help in launching it. If I remember correctly it would book with an .049, so it should be nutty with a 370. It weighs in at about 7-8 Oz with a 19.5" span 5.25" chord; fully symmetrical wing. I have no idea if it will fly only that if it does, it will do it really fast! At 2/3 throttle it puts out more thrust than weight on a 7/6 prop.

I know it is completely nuts, but I just couldn't resist!

Thanks,

Franny

Sky Sharkster
10-23-2006, 03:28 AM
Hi Franny, Well, that didn't take long! Nice job squeezing the servos into that tiny fuse pod...is the cross-piece between the rudders to drive the one that's not hooked to the servo? If so, good job! Looks stout enough to work, I always worry about flutter or control "slop" on fast-moving models, but everything looks tight from the photos.
Nice covering job! Looks like it's ready to "burn" up the sky. Where do you tie the streamer? Oh, you want to trim it before you try COMBAT? Well, OK, if you insist!
Talk to you soon,
Ron

Franny
10-23-2006, 03:30 AM
I hope we can have a little fun with this thing! Think it will fly? :rolleyes:

Franny

Elfwreck
10-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Hey now,
I hadn't thought about putting rudders on one of these. I wanna know how well they work.
On mine I just went with ailerons and elevator, I figured it wouldn't need rudders and that with no dihedral they wouldn't be effective.
Um, I should warn you that mine is *very* sensitive in pitch, *very* sensitive:eek: it's also hard to tell which side is up, I really need to add something to the underside of mine so I don't lose orientation again. On the upside, it's so light that prangs don't hurt too much. Nice to know I'm not the only nut out there, or is that the only out there nut?
RobII

ragbag
10-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Hi All,

Y'all are think I'm completely nuts, but I just finish a conversion of a Carl Goldberg Li'l Satan to RC - electric. That's right! Ok, The Sharkster an I were gabbin’ and I mentioned I had this old C/L kit and,... well... here it is... A few modifications... I added twin rudders to the resized booms and added ailerons. It is powered by an E-Flight 370 running off a 3S 900mA Lipo pack. I added a skeg to the bottom to help in launching it. If I remember correctly it would book with an .049, so it should be nutty with a 370. It weighs in at about 7-8 Oz with a 19.5" span 5.25" chord; fully symmetrical wing. I have no idea if it will fly only that if it does, it will do it really fast! At 2/3 throttle it puts out more thrust than weight on a 7/6 prop.

I know it is completely nuts, but I just couldn't resist!

Thanks,

Franny

Next thing you know, you'll be doing a VooDoo!!!!!!

The Satan was the 1/2a size cmbat plane to have back in the '60's. I flew the 36 size Voodoo, pressurized tank and all.

Very Nice job.:)

.................................................. ..............................................

Franny
10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
Thanks! Yes,... I'm looking around for a Voodoo kit. These things are so simple that they are easy to scratch build. It would be fun to give those Strykers a run for their money!

Franny

Elfwreck
10-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Hey now,
I've never done a VooDoo, but I have done a Winder and a Nemisis II.
Both were way too fast and turned way too tight, but that's half the fun isn't it:D
I'd think with the VooDoo the booms would be too short for stability, we always extended them on our ukies, but you never know till you try...
RobII

Franny
10-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Hey Elfwreck, a question... Just where should the CG be on this thing?

Why do I ask you say?...

Well, The Sharkster and I did our best today with the li'l Satan, but I'm afraid it wasn't quite the success I had hoped. It just flew completely erratically for maybe a hundred or so feet before I chopped the throttle and in it went. Not too bad, but I will have to make a few repairs. Ron had mentioned that he thought it might be tail heavy. My CG is about 1/3 back from the leading edge, but still aft of the plans. My thinking was that the C/L CG is a bit forward of where it would be without the lines attached. Maybe I'm wrong on that? Anyway, if yours flew at all you must be quite a bit closer to it than I.

Do you have any pictures of yours? Also, what size motor/prop did you use and what is your AUW?

Thanks!!!

Franny

Elfwreck
10-31-2006, 03:46 AM
Hey now,
Oh yeah, I know this problem. Um, I have my c/g set forwards of the marked spot on the plans. Not by much, but still foreward. Also you have to really cut down on the elevator throw (at first anyway) the model is skittish no matter what you do. Keeping the speed up helps.

Um, let's see... I'm using a home wound cd rom motor, drawing around six or seven amps on a 640 #S LiPo pack. I'm turning somewhere around fifteen K with a 5-5 prop, also I mounted the motor so the prop is the same distance as it would have been with an old Golden Bee, closer than that and it wasn't stable enough to fly. I'm not sure of the AUW but it feels as light or lighter than the u/c version with glow.
Maybe your rudders are getting in the way? I don't have those and it's not too bad.
Hmmm, Yeah, that's all I can think of; forward c/g, same placement of the prop, and very short throws on all surfaces. I'll admit though, it's a handfull no matter what I do.
RobII

Franny
10-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Thanks! I'll figure out a way to get that CG forward. It might be an idea to extend the motor forward a bit... Create a little bit of a nose. That could lengthen the moment arm and also help with the CG issue.

I strengthened the leading edge with a bit of carbon rod. I still have hope for this little guy!

Thanks so much for all your help!!

Franny

Elfwreck
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Hey now,
I looked at the pix you sent in and I really think you need to make the nose longer. Do you still have the plans or even an old cox .049? make the prop at the same spot, I'm sure that'll help some.
Um, not matter what you do it's going to be a bit erm, twitchy in flight, but it can be a lot of fun if you're up to it. I only fly mine on days I'm really doing well, it's a challange:D
Don't give up on the thing, I know you can get it to fly.
RobII

Franny
10-31-2006, 06:21 PM
Thanks again... I do have an old "Black Widow" I'll use that as a guide. Also, I'll program in a bit of dual rates for this one. That should help. I have reduced my throw for the elevator per your comments. No doubt it will be nutty.

Last Sunday Ron and I were out flying and there was someone a little ways away flying a Satan Jr. or Voodoo C/L. As we were watching this thing gyrate around at high speed, Ron mentioned that is how they are supposed to fly. My o' my... Very very nutty. It can fly straight and level though so I think it will be all about the balance.

I'll move my motor out a bit and let you know how it turnes out!

Thanks,

Franny

rcers
10-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Franny - too cool and thanks for bringing back some very fond memories of one of the best C/L models ever......

Makes me want to get the silkspan out right now!

Mike

buzzbomber
11-02-2006, 03:37 PM
That's really cool! I like seeing these vintage designs reinvented.

ragbag
11-02-2006, 05:50 PM
Hey now,
I've never done a VooDoo, but I have done a Winder and a Nemisis II.
Both were way too fast and turned way too tight, but that's half the fun isn't it:D
I'd think with the VooDoo the booms would be too short for stability, we always extended them on our ukies, but you never know till you try...
RobII

We danced with the girl we brung. Stock airplane, 52' lies and pressurized Fox 36 Ball Bearing. Mine was clocked at 125 MPH. It did turn on a dime and gave a nickle change.:eek:

.................................................. .........................

Franny
12-01-2006, 07:20 PM
Ok, so, in order to move that CG forward a bit, I came up with this... I also added a little Pb between the mount struts. We'll see if this helps. I got a set of plans for the Jr. Satan so, I might use what I learned and build that from scratch. We'll see. I need a flight that is more than 25 sec to get me motavated. The nuttyness continues!

Franny