PDA

View Full Version : GP Foamie Corsair

Twmaster
10-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Well I just bought one of these. I could not resist as it was on sale. I am a giant fan of the Corsair but never really liked the looks of the GWS bird. Never could bring myself to spend the money on an Alfa or FSK one either.

Anyhoo, I know this plane and it's sister the Hellcat have pushrod issues. Is the fix really as simple as what Bill G suggests? Just use thinner wire?

Any other issues?

Thanks!

barmonkey
10-25-2006, 04:42 AM
First off, I just want to congratulate you on your purchase. It is a very nice flying bird once you get the ailerons straightened out. I got one as soon as they were available... and the first batch did have some issues with the control rod tubes. Either the hot glue that was used to secure it to the wing spar melted it or they kinked it when it was installed. One control rod installed with a bit of a nudge and the other just wouldn't go through. I tried to round of the tip (they are quite sharp on the ends) and that didn't work. I then put a drop of CA glue on the tip (let it dry of course) and it installed rather easily. My Hellcat actually had a crimped or possibly even melted tip so I used my Dremel tool to cut the end of...and the control rods ended up being too short to boot.
I recently ordered a new Corsair, and the control rods were pre-installed. I have read that the Hellcats issues have been corrected also BTW.
You may want to work the control surfaces back and forth quite a bit to loosen them up. They are very stiff! I have read that a few have used an X-acto knife on them. I imagine that they just cut slits resulting in separate 'hinges'.
I ended up installing two servos on mine...one just in front of each aileron.

Taylorman
10-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Been looking at both the GP Corsair and the Hellcat. Can't decide which, can't afford both right now...... Rats!

Let us know how your build goes

Twmaster
10-27-2006, 02:51 AM
It will be next spring before it gets built as slow as I am and since flying season is just about over here in the (not so) wilds of MD.

--
Mike N

Twmaster
10-30-2006, 03:11 AM
Got the Corsair today. OMG the aileron tubes are -AWFUL-!

I'm going to call GP on Monday and see if they are still sending replacements for this problem.

Otherwise this ARF does not look too bad. Small enough for a park or football field. Nice enough details on her too. Also feels very light. I'm considering an outrunner BL power set.

Has anybody here flown theirs with the stock 280BB geared power set? How'd it do?

wolfpack72
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
One thing that will help with the aileron servo is use the Dubro micro connector instead of the stock connector. Alot less stress on the servo that way.

cyclops2
11-03-2006, 12:55 AM
I resisted TRYING push-pull control surfaces.

Now there is no other way.--It lets you use any servo arm just by trimming the usless parts off. You glue it anywhere it works and looks great. change the throws so FULL servo travel gives only the surface movement needed.

Up to 5' WS use about 10# test fish line. LIGHTLY snug the lines and you have the LIGHTEST & the most slop free control possible.

I have 180 servo arms that are 2" long in the tail of the Harbor Freight Cub. Perfect range of adjustment. Servo arms are 1/2".

Tireshred
11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
I have the Corsair, my wing had the pushrod issue on one side, I ended up pushing too hard and shoving the guide into the wing, I had to cut a slot in the wing to remove it, but once I had the guide out, inserting the pushrod was easy. Once it was all built and I installed the longest servo arm I had, I could only get 1/16" up on the left aileron and 1/4" down and 1/4" up and down on the right, spec calls for 3/8" up, 5/16" down. Obviously the guide/pushrods are flexing. I crashed it Monday (pilot error) and the wing broke in half, I glued it back together and glued the guide rod in place but could still only get the same stroke. It flies ok at these settings, but the roll rate is really slow. I emailed Tower and told them about the wing problem and told them I crashed but I didn't think that was the problem, they are still sending me a new wing. Nice. One more thing, be sure to rough up and glue well the elevator guide tube both near the servo mounted in the nose and where it exits at the tail, mine failed at both ends on the bench and would've caused a crash. I glued a piece of foam about 3/8" thick near the servo on the inside of the fuse to allow the guide to be straight with no stress. It's really a great flyer and is becoming my favorite. I ordered another one to replace this one, it's pretty ugly, but it still flies great!