PDA

View Full Version : Inter-brand Compatability for Radio Gear

johnhay73
09-13-2005, 05:03 PM
Hi,

I am shopping for a transmitter/receiver/servos. I have a few questions to which I think I know the answer, but an not certain:

1) can you inter-mate components such as a JR transmitter with a Futaba/Hitec/GWS/etc. receiver?

2) are crystals made to an industry standard that will work with most/all radio rx/tx

3) can all/most receivers/servos accept power via BEC, even if they are supplied with a designated receiver batter pack?

4) are all servos compatible with any receiver or are there connecter incongruities among some brands?

Basicially, I am likely going to buy components second hand, piece by piece, and I don't want to throw away any money on things that will not work together.

Many thanks,

John

debhicks
09-13-2005, 05:28 PM
Man he used big words:) JR/Airtronic are one shift and Hitec/Futabla are another. As long as you get the right shift for your radio then you'll be fine. Conectors can be changed.

If your buying a new transmitter check out Hitec's optic 6, Polk hobby's Tracker 3 and Multiplex Evo series. (find multiplex on the hitec website). Then check with you local dealer and see what they can get them for you for. They are both shifts and really don't care what other things you ask them to do.

Hope that helps. That's about all my limited knowlege. My crew chief knows more:)

Commander_Drake
09-14-2005, 02:32 PM
John,

Great questions! debhicks got you started on some answers and you will learn more by searching the forums. Here is my 2 cents (this applies only to non-digital servos):

I have used just about any brand servo with any brand receiver but somtimes you have to put on new connectors and reverse a couple of leads.

Crystals are not industry standard. Get the crystal from the manufacturer of the RX.

Most receivers will run off a variety of power sources including 4 or 5 cell NiCd packs or a motor power pack with a BEC.

If you are going to piece together a system just stick with one shift (positive or negative) and go from there. I have mostly Futaba equipment, so when I buy a receiver from a third party like Hitec I order the negative shift version and I order servos with Futaba wiring on the leads.

If you are handy with a soldering iron you will have no problems ;) .

rcers
09-14-2005, 02:56 PM
The first has been answered by others, but let me tackle the others:
are crystals made to an industry standard that will work with most/all radio rx/tx

You MUST use GWS crystals in GWS receivers, Hitec in Hitec etc. Single conversion and dual conversion crystals are different - get the right one for your particular rx.

can all/most receivers/servos accept power via BEC, even if they are supplied with a designated receiver batter pack?

Yes volts are volts the RX doesn't even know where the come from.

are all servos compatible with any receiver or are there connecter incongruities among some brands?

Yes for the most part. All current name brand stuff GWS, hitec, JR, Futaba, Cirrus are all compatable. Futaba comes with a polarity tab, the others don't. Most receivers will allow for the tab, but if they don't just cut it off. It won't hurt a thing.

Mike

jonnyjetprop
09-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Airtronic RD 8000 can use either shifts also.

John

Man he used big words:) JR/Airtronic are one shift and Hitec/Futabla are another. As long as you get the right shift for your radio then you'll be fine. Conectors can be changed.

If your buying a new transmitter check out Hitec's optic 6, Polk hobby's Tracker 3 and Multiplex Evo series. (find multiplex on the hitec website). Then check with you local dealer and see what they can get them for you for. They are both shifts and really don't care what other things you ask them to do.

Hope that helps. That's about all my limited knowlege. My crew chief knows more:)

rcers
09-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Airtronic RD 8000 can use either shifts also.

John

Yep as can the rd6000 and the fantastic Stylus.

Mike - Long time Airtronics guy!

johnhay73
09-15-2005, 05:07 PM
Thank you all for the replies! Slowly but surely my unbridled spending will be backed by actual knowledge : )

lomcevak
10-18-2005, 03:30 AM
my first radio was a hitec eclipse 7 computer radio. it was worth the extra money. you can chose your shift on the computer.the reason i bought it was because my father in law, who has been flying since the 50's, had piles of all brands of recievers. and the hitec let me fly them all(almost.)
it may also be worth the extra money to invest in the spectra module. it plugs into the back and replaces the crystals. when i by recievers on ebay or delve into the stock of assorted receivers in pop's basement, i can tune into any 72mhz freq he has got lying around, and believe me, i think he has at least one of every channel. just be sure to check your freq board at the field you fly to make sure you dont interfere with someone elses channel!

hope this helps.
we were all newbs at one point

ragbag
10-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Being a senior and have many senior moments, I don't like confusion.

Everything is Futaba.

Why, because I was told that that was what I needed.

I found out later that it was because they didn't want to go through the bother of matching buddy boxes to my equipment, not that Futaba was better.

No reason to change now. Probably would have gotten Hitec, just about everything I have in the receiver and servo department is Hitec. When Berg gets back on the market I will be using their receivers except when I need more channels.

A few of my friends have lost too many very nice airplanes to mixed and used equipment/junk.

Pick a brand and stay with it. A dollar saved can cost a bundle with that Wizz Bang outrunner, driven by the 36000 ah Lipo hits the pavement wide open.

My .02.
by george

aeropal
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Consider a Polk's Hobby Seeker (http://216.86.38.243/POLKS/AtoZdisplay.asp?CartId=) synthesized Receiver . . no crystals required. Forum (http://chat.polkshobby.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=1)

http://216.86.38.243/mmPOLKS/Images/PLK13107.jpg

"SEEKER II ultra narrow band 8 channel synthesized receiver That will work with most FM radios. Fully synthesized, with no switches or programming cables to go bad. Just press the set button as you switch on the SEEKER and hold your transmitter within 20-30 inches of the receiver antenna until the number 1 channel servo stops moving. Once programmed, the receiver remembers the channel until reprogrammed, even with power off. By computerizing the generation of the signal, dead center, we eliminate the need for frequency tolerances. Tolerances that decrease the performance of other radios. Specs: Size: 1.5 x .875 x .5 in. Weight: 0.5 oz. ( 14 g )"

Unbalanced prop
10-21-2005, 08:43 PM
I have two of the Seeker IIs and they work great, but they are only 6 channel not 8. They are especially nice if you have a tx that you can select different channels. If someone is always on your channel, just move to another frequency.:cool:

Doug

buzzbomber
10-25-2005, 03:07 PM
I have two of the Seeker IIs and they work great, but they are only 6 channel not 8...
Doug

Doug, you are aware that Polk's sells both 6 and 8 channel versions, right? My father and brother are both using the older 8 channel version without problems.

Unbalanced prop
10-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Doug, you are aware that Polk's sells both 6 and 8 channel versions, right? My father and brother are both using the older 8 channel version without problems.

Yes I know...... I have both the 6 and 8 channel Seekers. The 6 channel is called the Seeker "micro" and is much smalller then the 8 channel and weighs .5 ozs.

The 8 channel is much larger and weighs 1.7 ozs. I have a couple of the Seeker 6 in park flyers and the Seeker 8 in an LT-25 conversion.

Doug

buzzbomber
10-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Cool. I just wasn't sure from the way you worded your first post that you knew of both versions. I'm 99% certain that John Gill of Polk's sales dept. showed me a "micro" 8 channel receiver at his booth at a fly-in last year, but perhaps it was just a prototype. Come to think of it, it doesn't show up on the webpage, so it must not be out yet?:confused: