PDA

View Full Version : Flying Dogs

Kosh
10-25-2006, 05:46 AM
Pics taken from thread :http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7360&page=2

I have been teasing Susan for months about getting her so called dog fly. I have seen said so called dog eyeing the planes and wanting to fly I'm sure. Can tell by the way he shakes so much when even a servo twitches that he's primed and ready to go. :p
I think the prop wash from a few of my planes is enough to blow him over or back wards so I'm careful there as hes not in panic mode yet.
So Susan lets get your dog some wings just to see what he looks like? :D

aviatordave
10-25-2006, 01:11 PM
OK...I'm in - wiener dog slow flyer is on its way.......

(I cant let the wife catch me doing this.......)

Dave

fdix
10-25-2006, 04:32 PM
Just watch the wing loading! Be sure to have subsonic takeoff speeds :D

adhoc
10-25-2006, 04:40 PM
Hey, aren't most dogs outrunners? ;)

debhicks
10-25-2006, 07:31 PM
Do not be surprised about the surprise:) your dogs will leave you.

Old Fart
10-25-2006, 07:37 PM
OK...I'm in - wiener dog slow flyer is on its way.......

(I cant let the wife catch me doing this.......)

Dave

Hmm, I'll stick a LittleScreamer on Oscar and we can have a weinerdog pylon race!

So far his involvement in RC is to announce to the whole world that my 'wing is An Evil Thing Which Must Be Barked At :)

Kosh
10-25-2006, 07:58 PM
If the dog is outside its a outrunner, Inside it becomes a inrunner. :p
Siroc did some more taxi tests but his 13MPH speed wont be enough to take off. We know he has a higher burst speed so perhaps a cat at the end of the runway would help here. Tip stalling is also a problem, He tends to fall over alot after speed tests or just head off to the water bowl.
There's a nice hill close by so a set of roller skates could give the liftoff speed needed.:rolleyes:
Found the correct CG but we still have the landing gear problem. Once off the ground it goes into high speed mode and wont fold up so there causing lots of unneeded drag just like the ears. Not sure how to overcome the landing gear problem at this time but will keep working on it.

aviatordave
10-25-2006, 08:46 PM
hmmm...maybe somehow secure the legs in an 'UP' position and belly land?

but you may have to hand launch from the top of your house......

Old Fart
10-25-2006, 09:27 PM
nah, give me a few "chicken sticks" and a slingshot - Oscar will beat the MicroJet to altitude :)

Kosh
10-25-2006, 10:35 PM
Guess we could tape a roller skate to his belly but at 47 pounds hes just a little too big to hand launch. Maybe a few dozen bungee launchers working in unison would get Slopedog off the ground. :eek:

adhoc
10-25-2006, 11:01 PM
Guess we could tape a roller skate to his belly but at 47 pounds hes just a little too big to hand launch.Guess you have to ROG (Rover On Ground, or "Roll-Over, Good-boy!")... :rolleyes:

Is Slopedog brushed or brushless? ;)

Depending on when he/she last ate, you might want to bring a Space Scooper... :eek:

(enough!)

Kosh
10-25-2006, 11:51 PM
Slopedog has a internal combustion engine thats powered by cheeseburgers and tacos. Emissions are high and sometimes deadly if the wrong fuel is used so great care must be taken when repowering him.
Thought we had the CG worked out but when he lined up for a catshot he was very nose heavy so the launch was aborted. :o

Susantd
10-26-2006, 03:14 AM
"I have been teasing Susan for months about getting her so called dog fly. I have seen said so called dog eyeing the planes and wanting to fly I'm sure. Can tell by the way he shakes so much when even a servo twitches that he's primed and ready to go."

Kosh just blew it! Wicket, who he refers to above as a "so called dog", read that post, and said that Kosh ruined any chance of ever getting him to fly!

Susan :D

Old Fart
10-26-2006, 07:33 PM
Let Wicket eat one or two planes to pacify him....

Kosh
10-26-2006, 08:08 PM
For a cheeseburger Wicket would forget all about this post I'm sure. Hes just the right size and weight to fly but afraid of his own shadow so convincing him will be a challenge. A GWS Beaver dwarfs him size wise just to give you a idea and hes already use to driving at 75 mph looking out the window. Hes easy to hand launch and the short landing gear doesn't start running when airborne like Slopedog. He's not as streamline as a Wiener dog so I think a delta wing would give him the speed hes use to.:D

aviatordave
10-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Well I tried my smallest RC plane wing and it dwarfed my Miniature Dachshund....aka - little weiner dog :D

So I looked around the house and one of my kids had an Air Hogs plane.....'Hmmm I thought a little....'

I secured it with some nylon string but after doing that the dog performed this bucking bronco move around the back yard (wish I had that on video :o ) and the plane lost. So I had the kid hold it while I took a picture.

I think if this dog flies it will need to be shaved down, as the long hair will provide to much wind resistance. And I may need to tranquilize him as well so he can relax during the flight.

His name is Bentley....he might get more fearless as he gets older....he is only 1 year old right now.

Dave

BTW - He is fearless of grasshoppers, check him out during a grasshopper attack --> Video (http://app3.websitetonight.com/projects/3/2/4/5/32459/uploads/grasshopper.wmv)

aviatordave
10-28-2006, 06:55 PM
I may have to make a 2 seater, since Elmo hangs out with him.....:eek:

Kosh
10-31-2006, 09:04 PM
Bently will make a fine pilot some day, Give him half a beer and hes good to go with a little duct tape. His landing gear looks a little short so keep him in well trimmed grass but hes just the right size.:D