PDA

View Full Version : Easystar on floats

bugjam1999
10-25-2006, 09:43 PM
Hello all,

since i was told recently how to attach photos to posts... heres the solitary photo i took of my easystar at the lake when i flew it off water. It was taken with a phone so isn't the best quality, but i'm sure you get the idea ;)

Bugjam

bugjam1999
10-25-2006, 09:45 PM
and after seeing that photo on a computer screen for the first time instead of on my phones tiny screen, i'm kicking myself for not taking the same photo with a decent camera... just look at the sky reflected in the water!

Bugjam

tom1968
02-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Bugjam,

How'd it fly? Are you using the stock power system or an upgrade? Will it take off water?

Pretty nice photo for a phone. You're right - it would have been spectacular with a good camera.

bugjam1999
03-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Hello there,

sorry, haven't been looking at this forum for a while as i'm not flying at the moment...

The easystar is completely stock with the standard 400 motor and 8 cell nimh pack (heavy!) it will take off from water but takes a long time to get up onto the floats step and the take off run was very long... it took maybe 25 metres to lift off! it flies just the same in the air as stock, i didn't notice any extra drag of any significance, i think i probably adjusted the trim a little but thats it. With a better motor and lipo batteries it would probably be a bit more fun as a float plane, the long take off runs and load on the motor meant that the battery pack would cope with maybe three take offs from water before there wasn't enough to get it airborne again.

I put the same floats on my slowstick and that was much more fun as a float plane simply because due to its light weight it sat higher in the water and so take offs were no longer than off grass with wheels. that meant it could do lots of take offs and landings on each pack... which are fun :)

try the floats if you have water near you... it is a great laugh :)

TenTen
07-06-2007, 02:18 PM
So are those GWS floats you have at the Easystar?

How did you mount them at the fuselage? I am planning to do just the same at my Ez*.

bugjam1999
07-16-2007, 01:22 PM
hi there,
yes, they're GWS floats. My set only had one plastic mouting plate with them (i bought them secondhand but unused) maybe there should have been two, i don't know. I basically cut a hole in the bottom of the fuselage and glued the fitting i had in. for the other one i bought a strip of hardwood from my LHS and sanded a piece of it to match the full width bottom profile of the fuse. then cut a hole and glued it in. Mounting the floats involves 4 screws, 2 on each. the mounts stay put in the fue the whole time. I can send you a pic if you'd like...

Bugjam.

TenTen
07-19-2007, 01:14 PM
I can send you a pic if you'd like...

Bugjam.

I picture would be much appreciated, thanks.

I have the plastics parts that you describe but I am going to put them at a GWS Formosa that I am currently building since I want it to have floats as well.