PDA

View Full Version : Mrc 969 / 977 ???

rahtware
09-14-2005, 04:14 AM
I just noticed that MRC has two (sorta) top-end chargers, the 969 & 977. There is about $40 differance between the two, but I can't figure out why. Can anyone clear up the mystery for me??? :confused:

http://www.modelrec.com/search/ProductResultsOpen.asp?QueryString=969&Search=go+%3E

Red Scholefield
09-14-2005, 10:42 AM
I just noticed that MRC has two (sorta) top-end chargers, the 969 & 977. There is about $40 differance between the two, but I can't figure out why. Can anyone clear up the mystery for me??? :confused:

http://www.modelrec.com/search/ProductResultsOpen.asp?QueryString=969&Search=go+%3E

For openers the 969 is NOT lithium capable. The 977 is suppose to be although I have not had one to test to verify if it is.

Matt Kirsch
09-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Plus there's actually only $21.00 difference in price, not $40. LiPoly capability is probably the main difference... IFF the 977 is truly LiPoly capable.

I find it VERY troubling that MRC continues to advertise its Super Brain 969 as LiPoly capable, even though it isn't. For the uninitiated, MRC has you using a fixed-capacity NiMH charge program to charge LiPoly batteries... That's a disaster waiting to happen, because first off, LiPolys don't peak like NiMH. Charging must stop at 4.2 Volts per cell, not when voltage starts falling off, because the voltage doesn't fall off. It continues to rise until the battery catches fire...

For the money, the Great Planes Triton is a much better buy.

rahtware
09-17-2005, 08:23 AM
Matt, Red thanks...

My confusion over the price difference was seeing the street price for the 969 and comparing it to the MSRP for the 977 on the MRC web page...

I also have a Triton, but am looking for a second charger as, for some reason, my stock of LiPos keeps multiplying??? I bought the Triton even though the LHS owner swore that the 969 could charge li batteries (and still does, I guess the mark-up on the 969 is greater then the Triton). I was tempted by the MRCs ability to charge two packs at the same time and the fact that it comes with it's own AC pack. But, I am with you in distrusting MRC due to the false marketing of the 969. The charger article in Backyard Flyer this month reopened the issue for me. But, I guess I will continue to boycott MRC chargers.

GeraldRosebery
10-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Matt, Red thanks...

My confusion over the price difference was seeing the street price for the 969 and comparing it to the MSRP for the 977 on the MRC web page...

I also have a Triton, but am looking for a second charger as, for some reason, my stock of LiPos keeps multiplying??? I bought the Triton even though the LHS owner swore that the 969 could charge li batteries (and still does, I guess the mark-up on the 969 is greater then the Triton). I was tempted by the MRCs ability to charge two packs at the same time and the fact that it comes with it's own AC pack. But, I am with you in distrusting MRC due to the false marketing of the 969. The charger article in Backyard Flyer this month reopened the issue for me. But, I guess I will continue to boycott MRC chargers.

Let's be double sure here - NEVER EVER CHARGE LIPO's with a charger that does not have wriiten on the case - For LiPO's or LiIOn