PDA

View Full Version : Spacewalker Plans

Army Dad
10-28-2006, 10:12 PM
I have been looking for another plane to build and have decided on the Spacewalker Monoplane. I was going to order the plans from Sig and scale them down to suit my needs, but I've never used the Sig plans before. I am looking for feed back from anyone who has used Sig plans and what they thought of them. thanks Rick

Dereck
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
Hi Rick
Just noticed your post. Have built a few Sigs - 4*40, Cubs at 1/5th and 1/6th, had a Smith Miniplane in the kit mountain for years (was offered money before I found the Rount Tuit!).

Their plans are always pretty much top of the line for the technology that created the kit. My 1/5th Cub - laser cut, CAD drawn, one of their latest kits - was probably the best kit I've built, more so for its sheer size.

The 1/6th version has a great plan - if you can work with a 1960s or 1970s standard of plan. It's accurately drawn, would have been the amongst the best when it was new - but it isn't all that new.

All of the Sig kits I've experienced had enough info on them that an experienced plans builder could recreate the model from scratch. You might have to 'design' a few formers and parts, but nothing too strenous. The 4*40, for example, is a simplistic model and could easily be built off the kit plan - the scale models are somewhat more complex, of course.

Not sure how old the Spacewalker is, hence how the plan was drawn, but some ingenuity should see you through. If you're downsizing (???), you'll have to put in a fair amount of plan work deciding on material sizes and so forth to suit your design aims anyway.

Hope that helps

Dereck

forresterace
11-03-2006, 09:38 PM
Army Dad

You didn't give any indication what size electric-powered Spacewalker you are considering. The Sig Spacewalkers are 1/3 and 1/4 scale (7 ft. span) and the structure is designed for large IC engines. Unless you're considering a 6 foot span model, I would think you would be much farther ahead to scale up a smaller, more lightly-built design. I'm sure the plans cost would be less as well. It's much easier to add strength to a light structure than to "add lightness" to a heavy one.

One such design that comes to mind is the Pat Tritle designed 36" Spacewalker that is marketed by www.manzanolaser.com (http://www.manzanolaser.com).

Check it out

Ron
11-05-2006, 01:08 AM
Built a Sig 1/4 scale Spacewalker about 8 years ago for electric...plans were great, and the model was easy to lighten up It came out at 9 lbs....
The guy I eventually sold it to still thinks it's a great model.
I may still have the plans kicking around somewhere ...

vax6335
11-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I've got an old House of Balsa Spacewalker that has a .10 on it. The kit came with plans, it would be a great conversion to electric. That's what I plan on doing with mine. I'll get some measurements and let you know what size it is, I think I still have the plans.

Dereck
11-05-2006, 02:47 AM
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/erc20.htm

54" span, the spec talks about an AF15, but that's a little old and wizened by now. SHould be the sort of lighter structure you're after and more amenable to mating with a reducing copier ;)

D

Army Dad
11-07-2006, 03:49 AM
Vax, Ron, If either of you locate your Spacewalker plans and want to get rid of them let me know. Thanks Rick

vax6335
11-07-2006, 04:46 AM
Mine has a 52" wingspan. I found the plans and I'll make a copy for ya if you want them, send me a PM. There's some tears and holes in the plans, but it's not my fault, the guy I bought the plane from built it. :rolleyes:

Mark Winstanley
12-07-2006, 12:40 PM
ArmyDad; I used to run Kanata Aircraft Models. One of our kits was a .25 powered Spacewalker II (later called the Revolution II as the full size changed its name). I did a conversion to electric for it and was about to kit it when I decided to close the company. I can let you have a copy of those plans if you like. It was/is 54 inch span, built up wing and tail with a sheet fuselage. Probably a little over engineered for these days but still could be built light. The original gas powered version had a foam wing and sheet tail surfaces.

Mark Winstanley.

Henry Sistrunk
02-11-2008, 01:44 AM
Here is my HOB Spacewalker 10 converted to electric. Flies great.

birdDog
06-28-2008, 02:38 AM
I just ordered a HOB Spacewalker .10 schoolyard scale kit. I am building it electric. Any input on thrust angles or other issues? Thanks, Rob

Henry Sistrunk
06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Rob, Mine flies great with am Eflite park 450. I added a firewall fwd of the existing one to space the prop fwd of the cowl. I installed it square to the existing one. This worked fine for thrust. I did extensive lightening aft of cg and mounted the elevator and rudder servos in the aft fuse. I added a large hatch on top for the 3 cell 2100 battery. I can take some detail pictures if it will help.
Henry

Henry Sistrunk
06-30-2008, 07:39 PM
Trying to post pictures.

birdDog
06-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Thanks! That is one nice looking build, Henry. Gives me great ideas! Considering this is my second build, those photos are very valuable. I like the lightening technique. I am planing to mount separate Ail micro servos in the wings to make sure I will have room to balance with a 2100 3s. 450BL is also slated for install. Heck, I may even follow your method of tail servos! Nice cowl. I will post pics of whatever I can find laying around that I decide to use for mine. Thanks Again!

On second thought, I like how clean the single Ail servo is designed. The jury is still out on that.